Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Anyone had/heard both Dentons, 80th + 85th? I'm curious how different they sound.

I own the 80th from May 2013 hereabouts mated to a Yamaha A-S2000. The dealer was kind of enough to send a pair of 85ths for demo. I had it for a week. I paired the 80th on Speaker A & 85th on speaker B set on the amp. I used the Oppo 105D for audio source as well as a Chromecast Audio via mini Toslink optical into the Oppo. The Oppo was connected to the Yamaha via XLR cables since,both, the A-S2000 & Oppo 105D are balanced differentials end-to-end.

The short answer is there is slightly pronounced bass in the 85th compared to 80th because of the fatter enclosure. Although on paper the 85th has higher SPL of 88 db compared to the 80th, I didn't experience anything out of the ordinary in terms of loudness with respect to the volume knob.

BUT....

At the same volume level [9 O' Clock] for the same song [Counting Crows - Perfect Blue Buildings] & switching between speaker A & B sets, When the intro starts out, Oh, well, let's say, I was smiling listening to the 85th. The extended bass roll-off coupled with the subtle highs, is a joy to listen to. And then the bit at 2 mins 31 secs into the song there's this beautiful hum by a woman, that sounded pristine, very clear.

The short story - If you are a first time potential Denton purchaser, please go ahead & buy the 85th with eyes closed. For folks like me, well, the difference is not so great that I am willing to plonk money on it. Ergo, going to hold on to my 80ths.

Note - These Denton speakers are not for heavy metal & bass thumping techno. They could be used for that kind of genres BUT you would be doing great disservice to these beautiful beautiful mainstream jewels.

I own the 80th from May 2013 hereabouts mated to a Yamaha A-S2000. The dealer was kind of enough to send a pair of 85ths for demo. I had it for a week. I paired the 80th on Speaker A & 85th on speaker B set on the amp. I used the Oppo 105D for audio source as well as a Chromecast Audio via mini Toslink optical into the Oppo. The Oppo was connected to the Yamaha via XLR cables since,both, the A-S2000 & Oppo 105D are balanced differentials end-to-end.

Note - These Denton speakers are not for heavy metal & bass thumping techno. They could be used for that kind of genres BUT you would be doing great disservice to these beautiful beautiful mainstream jewels.

Thanks for sharing. I wondered how the new version compared to the 80 yr Anniv. I bought a pair of the 80th when they went on sale. I was very impressed with the sound quality. Even at their initial retail, they are an excellent speaker. I ended up giving the pair to my son. Although the Dentons did nothing wrong, to my taste they were a tad veiled in the mid and upper frequencies. Bass was excellent given the price. I replaced them with some Dynaudios which cost substantially more, but I always enjoy listening to them when I visit my son.

Just got a pair of 80th today...again. I had a set a few years ago that I sold and then started missing them just recently.

...I don't remember them sounding this good. I wanted a warm set of speakers that were easy to listen to, and they are certainly that...but I don't remember this much detail. I'm using them in a desk setup in a near-field arrangement with a Vincent SV200 amp. I didn't have this amp previously, so maybe the combo just mesh perfectly, but they are sounding spectacular. SO happy to have them back.

Just got a pair of 80th today...again. I had a set a few years ago that I sold and then started missing them just recently.

...I don't remember them sounding this good. I wanted a warm set of speakers that were easy to listen to, and they are certainly that...but I don't remember this much detail. I'm using them in a desk setup in a near-field arrangement with a Vincent SV200 amp. I didn't have this amp previously, so maybe the combo just mesh perfectly, but they are sounding spectacular. SO happy to have them back.

I know exactly what you are experiencing. As of now I have the Denton 80s connected to the venerable Yamaha B2 & God! They sound gorgeous!!!

A tad off-topic, but the EVO 4 series might be on the horizon as I'm looking for a more full range speaker. Like the Dentons, for the $$$ they seem a steal. The AMT tweeter may be the solution to what I found lacking in the Dentons.

A tad off-topic, but the EVO 4 series might be on the horizon as I'm looking for a more full range speaker. Like the Dentons, for the $$$ they seem a steal. The AMT tweeter may be the solution to what I found lacking in the Dentons.
Thought hard about the EVO’s before I ordered the 80th’s. My limited experience with ribbons led me to believe the EVO’s might be a bit bright for my near field listening. Might have been wrong. They are a very good looking speaker which was also a factor in my choosing the 80th’s. I do love the Dentons smoothness and detail which seem to improve with use. They sound good on a 3 watt chi-fi tube amp, a 60 watt Rega Brio or my Marantz 2230.

@Sndsrtaud Liking the 'British' sound more & more. If you decide to try the EVO's, you'll have to start a new thread with your observations. I'll be looking forward to it.
:beerchug:

Similar to many on this forum, I have (too) many setups. Two pairs of Wharfedales now in the mix - the Denton 80 and the Linton. The Heritage series from Wharfedale does have a "house sound" to it, but apparently one that I very much like. I find them to be extremely easy to listen to and focus on the music, very much like what Herb Reichert said in his review of the Lintons. I stop paying attention to what the speaker is doing and listen to what the music is doing. Loving it!

My current matching with the 3 speakers: Denton 80th, Denton 85th, and Evo 4.2, I still prefer the Denton 80th overall sound, I'm a mixbag music listener, overall tonal balance of the other 2 seem not as good, I cannot comment alone on the speakers sound, I only can give advice based on my current chain setup: Fostex HP-A3 DAC/Preamp > Techlink Wires NX RCA cables > Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp / NAD M22 v2 power amp > Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 speakers cables

For the Denton 80th audio matching chain, I can say even I can hear tube-like sound for some decent recording, the sound is like atomic particle melting your heart, the bass is powerful enough to make your nerve wrecking at a near/mid field setup, with better room acoustics treatment or subwoofer integration, I believe you will get a decent mid-fi almost close to perfection to enjoy wide genre of music.

I just got a pair of Denton 80th in cherry - wish they were walnut but it was a great deal. I just moved into a new house and the living area where I have the speakers setup sounded very bright and a little overwhelmed with the larger drivers of my old JBL L112s. The room was calling out for a pair of small mellow bookshelves. Wharfedale Denton came to mind, I did some research and decided the smaller 80th would be a better fit for me (I think they are better looking with the wood veneer on the front baffle) than the 85th. Well I was absolutely spot on. Paired with a REL t5/i sub they sound perfect. Great for all genres. I disagree that they don't work for electronic or heavy rock music. I think the mellow high end gives them a really solid and thick sounding midrange. Cymbals are a little lower in the mix allowing vocals, snare, and guitar to come forward. Drums sound great. 60s / 70s recordings sound great. I do notice a little port chuffing when I push them. I'm using them as midfields so I'm pushing them a little hard but overall sound great even if theres not much headroom left. Swapped them out briefly for my klipsch rp600m (which sound great in my old place) and yeah wayyyyy to bright. Not the speaker's fault, just not a good fit for the room.

Advice needed ;))

Soon proud owner of Linton Heritage, I am looking at changing my Amp (Kenwood KA7100 and Yamaha A S501) with another vintage piece.
I listen mainly analog (LP and CD) in a 20 m2 room.

In my area there are some options that I would like to run with you:

Yamaha A-1060
Onkyo A 7090
Yamaha AX 1070
Yamaha CA 1010 ( a bit more expansive than the other 3)

What is your take on that; thanks;

Advice needed ;))

Soon proud owner of Linton Heritage, I am looking at changing my Amp (Kenwood KA7100 and Yamaha A S501) with another vintage piece.
I listen mainly analog (LP and CD) in a 20 m2 room.

In my area there are some options that I would like to run with you:

Yamaha A-1060
Onkyo A 7090
Yamaha AX 1070
Yamaha CA 1010 ( a bit more expansive than the other 3)

What is your take on that; thanks;

Don't think Yamaha a great match for the Denton 80, best I've matched is Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp or a bit more neutral would be an NAD M22 v2 power amp. Need strong bass control amp with a little bit of midrange boost for this speaker. The speaker generally answer better and better with better quality power amp, not necessarily expensive amp.

Hello,

I've been using Dentons now over 2 years now, I bought them February 2019. Im still rocking these babies almost daily, mostly backround music nowadays and headphones for critical listening.

Previously I had Vincent SP-331 MK Tube Class A Hybrid Poweramplifier 150W 8ohm 300W 4ohm, so plenty of power to drive these and I did like the sound, maybe littlebit softer side because of the tube.
What I did not like was the soldered tubes in this amp and of course the power consumption. So one day I bought the Behringer A800 Power Amp with similar specs but Class-D and 10x cheaper than the Vincent.

What can I say, I think the Behringer amp is perfect and such a low price, more than enough power for dentons and I gotta admit that when the good songs hit, I just gotta dance like an idiot everytime I listen these. I've had lots of different kind of speakers in my life but these Dentons are the keepers for sure, they work in my home so good, tight bass and smooth sound I can listen for hours without getting tired. Just the way I like my speakers, fun and makes you want to dance :). I listen all kind of music rap, rock, electrical, blues and so on...

I admit that sometimes Im checking the Evo 4.2, no that I need something better, but sometimes the shopping bug bites me just for getting something new. But after the day or two it goes away.

My Dac has been the same all the time Gustard DAC X20 pro.

Sorry for my English but its hard to focus writing while jamming some music from my dentons ;)

Don't think Yamaha a great match for the Denton 80, best I've matched is Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp or a bit more neutral would be an NAD M22 v2 power amp. Need strong bass control amp with a little bit of midrange boost for this speaker. The speaker generally answer better and better with better quality power amp, not necessarily expensive amp.

Thanks for the tips.
I have an opportunity to get with Roksan K3 or Technics SU-G700 or SU-G700.

Wonder which one would control these bass and boost the mid.

Any idea?

Thanks for the tips.
I have an opportunity to get with Roksan K3 or Technics SU-G700 or SU-G700.

Wonder which one would control these bass and boost the mid.

Any idea?

Didn't have any experience with Roksan or old Technics amp though, generally my experience tell that the Denton 80 works well with powerful juicy amp lean close to neutral with just a little bit warm on midrange, do not go with amp like Marantz which do too much warm or lower range of Yamaha amp with thin sound signature (I'm not sure the high end model though), or some weird tonal amp which is not close to neutral on the whole frequency range like TEAC-AX501, I mean it's not bad amp but it's not best match, neutral is second best to match the Denton 80, as I mentioned something like NAD M22 v2 power amp, which has excellent control and transparency, but lack a bit of romantic tone.

Didn't have any experience with Roksan or old Technics amp though, generally my experience tell that the Denton 80 works well with powerful juicy amp lean close to neutral with just a little bit warm on midrange, do not go with amp like Marantz which do too much warm or lower range of Yamaha amp with thin sound signature (I'm not sure the high end model though), or some weird tonal amp which is not close to neutral on the whole frequency range like TEAC-AX501, I mean it's not bad amp but it's not best match, neutral is second best to match the Denton 80, as I mentioned something like NAD M22 v2 power amp, which has excellent control and transparency, but lack a bit of romantic tone.

Thanks for the above. Talking class D amp, does the new Technics Su G 700 would be a match or more AB Yam's AS1200?
Thanks.

Thread resurrection time?

So I joined the forum (hi!) to give my tuppence of experience, having bought a pair of these intriguing speakers last week.

For those on the fence, I'll cut to the chase:

Do these speakers contain magic?
Absolutely YES
Do they have short comings?
Absolutely YES
*but they really shouldn't be judged until they're fully broken in*

An important point that has been raised in this thread, although potentially somewhat overlooked - is to change the jumpers out!
Im a huge cable sceptic, but was lamenting a lack of crisp top end such is the initial roll off on treble when I first plugged these in.
I read about switching the jumpers making a decent improvement and figured I had nothing to lose so spliced in some cable I had spare.
As close to a Night v Day difference as I could imagine.
I don't know why this makes such a marked improvement, but the flow of electrons seem to really appreciate this tweak.
Please do try for yourself as it costs virtually nothing to experiment!

The sound profile seems to change daily which is in line with other experiences owners have reported. Muddy bass, congested soundstage, muted treble, poor imaging. Yep I've heard them all - but, it's quite clear to me that these 'flaws' are primarily a result of the drivers bedding in (and possibly equipment matching). Right now I'm at around 30hrs and this morning I'm greeted with a lovely forward presence that seemed to have disappeared days ago, with more definition and detail on instruments than before.

Then there's the midrange. Oh boy, the midrange..
Best I've personally experienced.
There is a certain tangible quality about the voicing on the Denton that is very difficult to explain, suffice to say its enough for me to persevere with a prolonged break in rather than boxing them up and sending them back.
I do have concerns, I've spent a good amount of time and effort in upgrading my modest system recently in order to achieve the best bang for buck on my meagre budget - and as such I'd gotten to a point where I was experiencing pretty much 3D soundstaging and an emotional response to music playback. Yet being a greedy so and so I desired more scale.
As good, no, *great* as my other speakers are for their price (Q Acoustic Concept 20) they do at times struggle to fill my 300sq ft listening room. No such fears with the Denton, they scale really well. However, as mentioned by many other owners there is a congested and centered soundstage that leaves a lot to be desired for imaging hungry listeners like myself.
After 30hrs this is absolutely improving. I'm very curious to find out how much more they will reveal as they fully bed in and I urge any other new owner to give them time.

I also suspect that they are sensitive to pairing. If you have the luxury of trying alternative amps + preamps, do so.

What I'm trying to say is that I would've written these off for the fact that out of the box they don't give me the detail + staging minimum requirements that I personally demand - BUT, for a £350 speaker they do offer something else quite special and they do reveal more & more as time passes so I'm suspending my final verdict for as long as possible.

I have some recent experience of speakers around this price to compare against, including :

Mission QX2
KEF 350
Q Acoustic Concept 20

Each naturally have their strengths and weaknesses but none have the wonderful build quality/aesthetic of the Denton, nor the hard-to-describe midrange magic.

The woefully underrated Concept 20 currently remain my reference at <£500 for their pure neutrality and soundstage finesse (their cabinet construction quality at current selling price of £230 is phenomenal). *BUT* the allure of the Denton voicing, plus their scale and their *stunning* aesthetic means I'm going to do whatever I can to keep these in prime position in my system for the long term.

Indeed there has never been a better time to be a budget speaker consumer.

System:
NAD C370
Thorens TD150 with Nagaoka MP500
EAR834P clone phono pre
Marantz CD63KI (hot rodded, caps, clock, regulators)
TIDAL steaming through chi-fi hardware

Back
Top Bottom