Wharfedale Horn Loaded Corner Cabinet project

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Ok I've decided to finally build something with the 1960 Wharfedale corner cabinets before I buy a set of horn loaded JBLs or Altecs. So, what kind of drivers for a two way system? The cabinets are kinda small versions of the Klipsch K-Horn. They are about 4 feet tall and 30" wide and v-shaped back to go in the corners of the room. I need to re-veneer them and new grill cloth. They are just shells. Build from 7 layer panaply with built in caster in the bottom. Like K-horns the bottom is sealed and the horn is open back. Any ideas? Anyone have some drivers they want to sell?

Far out, Wards, I've got a pair of beautiful Wharfedale 12-inch woofers I've been looking for something to do with 'em!
They have enormous cast frames and magnet/motor assemblies. In super condition.
From one of their 70s three-way systems, not so old as your big cabs!
I still shake my head at the sound from a pair of K-horns the dad of a school girlfriend had way back when. Could just about blow the girls' skirts off :D
fun fun fun

Oh, what I meant to ask, you're planning on 15-inchers, right?
Or, partsexpress has a special price on an Eminence 18, cast frame, only $75!! Yes, that is right.
An 18 in a folded corner horn, whewwwwweeeeee!
Well, prolly not room for that big of a driver.

what an intriguing project!

more thoughts about whatcher thinkin'?

pete

Thinking 15" bass with a serious horn. Looking at a set of Altec Pro cabinets on Ebay to just rip the drivers out and toss the caginets. 421A 15" woofers, 811B horns with 808-BA drivers ( big multi cell horns)and N-1000B crossovers. If I can get them for less than $100 total, I will start there. I may very well change drivers a few times to find the ones that "match" the cabinet.

Did you get the Altecs? If not and you live in the Dallas area I will let you use a 421 to see if you like it.

Hi Ward

I think thats so cool that your gonna give some of the oldies a shot. I have always made it clear that so far my Fav speakers are my Electro Voice Regency's. They are Small folded corner cabinets. Each Uses a SP-15 Woof, T25A Mid horn and T35 Tweet. Xovers are Handled by EV X8 and X36's. I would not hesitate to recomond these drivers for one second. I have a Pair of EV-15WKs for sale but these Partrician series speakers aree close t 400.00 each. The SP15 can be bought on Ebay usaully for around 125-250 each depending on condition. The T35 can be had for 150.00 a pair or so. The T25A's can be bit tricky to find and are in the 250-300 a pair range with the 8HD horn lenses.

Here's a couple of auctions for your viwing pleasure. The first is a what my Regency Cabs look like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1366802272

And here is some pics of a 15 incher I would hesitate to recomend to anyone!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1366802272

Anyways Just thought id throw my 2 cents in. I hope ya do get those Altecs but that high bidder on them now will prolly keep the price over 100-200. Just look at some of the other stuff he has bought.

Dave

First Grumpy your second link is the same as your first.

Now I went to look as this "jeccy" and GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY :eek: This guys spent over $15,000 on speakers in the last two months. What the hell does he do? It's either a very lucrative business for him or he is independently wealthy. Looks like I may not get these, but I'll give it a shot.

well I'm back to square one, as the Altecs went to some Altec freakazoid that's been buying up all the stuff for high dollars. this guy has spent over $15,000 on ebay in the last two months.

OK, I need two horns and two woofers and two crossovers - any suggestions

Rob got any horns laying around?

I have some University Cobreflex which actually are every nice horns, two sets of drivers and a 421 II A if I remember the numbers right. I need an old straight 421 just because the basket is not as wide, to fit into some Jenson cabinets. A pair of PL15LL Jensens would work fine too, then the Altecs are up for grabs. I don't know if the Cabreflex are sized correct for your needs but let me know.
Thatch

Back
Top Bottom