Wharfedale Owners Thread

Hey, I thought you just had W90s! How do the two models compare?
The W90 have a clarity that is impressive. Their bigness translates to the sound, and they project that "you are there' illusion.
The Rosedales are a little woolly in the bottom end, but overall have a very enjoyable mellowness.
Keep in mind this is on two separate systems and rooms, and not in any way an A/B comparison.
A previous owner of the Rosedales had put a roll of polyester batting in the cabs , likely to tame the bottom end, and my impression is with that removed.
I wanted them to be as original as possible after the re-cap I did. Honestly, one notch down on the bass dial, and I was good with it. Like the picture above, I use them to enhance TV movies, and they work a treat. I love the look too. How could you not have a fondness for something that continues to perform after 40 plus years with nothing more than fresh capacitors.

Got a pair of W45's and I read where its best to place these horizontally and that's fine but do you place them with tweets on the same or opposite side?

Disappearing Wharfedales in a very unlikely setup.

I decided to separate my digital playback into a digital only headphone system.
So I went out, got some decent headphones, pulled the Oppo out of the main system, relocated it near the TV so I could switch sources, plugged in the headphones in and was pleased as punch with myself.

Hmmmm I said to myself, I could put some speakers here too.
But they would sound terrible.
Too close to the wall and too close to the only listening position.
Six feet.
That's six feet diagonally.
And a big window right behind the said position.
A foot behind my head.
What the hey I told myself, do it anyway.
So the W70D's came up out of the basement storage, hooked up a TPA 3116 amp and put on some music.

Holy smokes.
Not only did it not sound bad, it sounded great.
No compressed soundstage, but a wide and deep soundstage.
Well outside the speaker position.
And superb tonality.
And great imaging.
Such awesome imaging.

The speakers totally disappeared.

When my wife came home I sat her down and said "Honey, listen to this".
"Where's the sound coming from?" she asked.

"Exactly" I replied.

Art

Got a pair of W45's and I read where its best to place these horizontally and that's fine but do you place them with tweets on the same or opposite side?

Put the woofers on the outside and the tweeters on the inside.
This is what I do with a pair of AR2 ax.
Works a treat.

Art

Hey all,

I have officially rejoined the Wharfedale owner's club :)

I picked up a pair of Rosedales last week and I really like them. Not as good as the W90s I heard but have a similar character of sound. I think they are in dire need of a recap though, while they sound good, they have that typical haziness that I have heard from old caps.

However, that's now going to wait because I have recently acquired a pair of Airedales!! I'm very excited as these are supposed to be some of the best speakers Wharfedale ever produced. They'll need a little work, because the grills were replaced with ugly black grill cloth, but the drivers are all original and the wood is in excellent shape. I don't have them in my possession yet, but I will be driving out to pick them up this weekend. I can't wait. Part of my excitement is that one (late) owner has the Airedales and also a pair of Beveridge electrostatic speakers - it makes me think that if they can keep company with those, they must be pretty sweet!

dave-whittaker-2.jpg

And, if that weren't enough, I've also secured a pair of W90s. W90s are what I was going after originally, but I just couldn't pass up the Airedales. So, I'll take both and likely the Rosedales will move on at some point.

I'll post some pictures after I get them home. I'm excited to say the least!

Interestingly someone contacted me saying they had some W90Ds and they live local to you. Want a third pair? :)

Ha! I barely have room for what I have already. Has anyone ever heard the W90Ds? I feel like I saw someone post once that they arent favorable like standard(earlier) W90s. If they were $100 I suppose I'd give them a shot tho.

My local and only Indie shop had a Pair of Wharfedale TSR108 speakers for sale. I took them home,tried them,and then went back and paid Pat. They are lovely with Jazz and Acoustic stuff.I have them Blu-taked on 22 inch stands.They are heavy and they have the attenuation switch for the tweeter.I keep it at zero and it seems great.I will take some pics later and post

Alan

Last edited:
Ha! I barely have room for what I have already. Has anyone ever heard the W90Ds? I feel like I saw someone post once that they arent favorable like standard(earlier) W90s. If they were $100 I suppose I'd give them a shot tho.

I honestly have no idea. My Rosedales, though, which are from the same time period (roughly) sound very nice. They were still producing high quality drivers back then. If you had them side by side you would likely prefer one, but it's tough to say. On their own they are likely very good.

I have a nice pair of W60Es, I"ve owned for a few years. Now I came across a nice pair of Triton 3s. I finally found a new mid for them. They sound very nice.

Back
Top Bottom