1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Wharfedale Super 12 ID help.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ghbrian, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ghbrian

ghbrian AK Subscriber Subscriber

I removed this Wharfedale Super 12 from a speaker cabinet I bought. I think it is a Super 12 CS/AL but I am not 100%. Any knowledgable person out there that can confirm or correct my assumption.

Regards

super 12 1.jpg super 12 2.jpg super 12 3.jpg super 12 4.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. loose ends

loose ends Well-Known Member

I got one also. I bought some beautiful cabinets and one had the speaker mounted in it.

3. ghbrian

4. klipschorn

klipschorn Klipschorn

This speaker dates to the early to mid sixties. The original Super 12's were labeled as Super 12 FS/AL, meaning foam surround/aluminum voice coil. Later, the Super 12 CS/AL was the same with the exception of its having a cloth surround, which was flat, not a half roll like this model.

The label dates the unit from the sixties. It is a SUPER 12 and all SUPER 12's with the "whizzer" cone were labeled as SUPER 12 (FS,CS,RS/DD, meaning double diaphragm. While this surround (annulus) is cloth, it's called a half roll. Wharfedale used that terminology in many units, such as the W15FS, CS, and RS, meaning foam surround, cloth surround which was a 1/16th inch thick felt and roll surround, respectively.

The white numbers on the back side of the cone refer to 30hz fs and the date of manufacture, Feb. 1963. I have no idea to what the c/12 refers. I would hate to think it means a 12 inch cone as that should be obvious.

For more on those good ol' Wharfedales with the red magnets, see my Wharfedale pages. https://www.ln271828.net/wharfedale.html

Robert

drbiggles likes this.
  5. ghbrian

Robert

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Regards, Brian

6. ghbrian

On the rolled cloth surround, it looks like it is needing to be re-doped, as light can be seen through it. What is the suggester method of retreating the cloth?

Please register to disable this ad.