1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Wharfedale W40 C crossover cross-up

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by douglas44, Dec 22, 2017.

1. douglas44

douglas44 New Member

Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum, and here for all your expertise.
    Picked up a pair of W40 C's for next to nothing.The cabinets are in good shape, I fully repaired the purple mylar tweeters very fine connects, and replaced the 10" woofs with new, as the originals had been replaced already with not so goods blown out.
    I cleaned up the pots they're great. The mystery is the crossovers; The tweet has a 2uF vdc blue cylinder Hunts on it. The mid has a 5.6 uF +/-10% ?ML on it . The woof is straight out thru a choke.
    I believe the 4" purple mylar tweeter is 6 ohm??? It measures 4.6 ohm.
    The mid is 6 ohm too I believe, it measures 4.8. These speakers were inspected March 20 1967 in Montreal by Smyth Electronics ...an importer I suppose. They are ported.
    I recognize the 2 uF blue Hunts as original, their the same company Wharfedale used in my W70D's, but the 5.6 uF rectangular green cap from ?ML. I'm not sure they're original.
    I can't find anything on these speakers and would like to recap with acurate dynamics. The closest I can find is the toups brochure for the W40D's which are same three way, but not ported. Brochure says crossovers at 3500 and 1250 Mhz.
    3500Mhz is same as my W70D's and same tweeters.

Simply crossover - it's:
    + thru 2 uF to pot to tweet and
    + thru 5.6 uF to pot to mid and
    + thru choke to woof.
    ground running back thru all three speakers and back from pots.
    This doesn't seem to fit high pass, low pass,mechanical woofer math. But I know nothing.
    So here's the zinger - both speaker crossovers had sloppy soldering at the banana leads in and both speakers had a short speaker wire bridge from the + lead -in to the tweet pot + that was soldered parallel to the 2uF cap. basically running around it.
    Anyone have wharfedale W40C crossover details or ideas about the mystery bridging?
    I threw in 7.8 uF caps to temporarily (low volume ) replace the 2uF's, the speakers really do have nice presence. I 'd like to do them justice.
    Thanks and happy solstice to all,

Toprank likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Toprank

Toprank New Member

I need the same info. Just saved 1 (one) W40D from a dumpster. All appears original except sometime in it's past, somebody felt compelled to cut several wires, and leave it in a garage of a dead house. Anybody close to Pensacola/Mobile with 1(one) you don't need, or if you need just one....

Attached Files:

3. douglas44

douglas44 New Member

Hey Toprank,
    Well I've now done 2 W40C's and 2 W70D's
    the caps tested both bad and good, I replaced the bad with same uf, nothing fancy and they sound stunning. I listen to everything, and the frequency separation and presence is remarkable. Two things...the pots really needed a thorough clean. The purple tweeters had successful micro-surgery and sound great. I just need to find new grill cloth for the W 40C's.
    Is your wiring still a mystery? If so, I'll draw a sketch as my photos are mucky. In my W40c's there was a common wire running to all the neg posts. The woofer + came straight from the choke.The two others ran from their perspective pots.The caps were between the input and their pots.
    good luck

4. Toprank

Toprank New Member

Thanks 44, I've done some messing with the beast. I've disassembled the pots and cleaned them. Looking for new caps. The mystery I have now is, what model is this? It clearly says its a W40D, but it looks like the W70s I've seen pics of not the web., not the W40s. It has an 11", 7" 4.5" and a tweeter. Anyway if you could send a simple drawing it would be great. I think the wiring at the drivers are all messed up. Red (+) going to black (-) blue and yellow from the crossover cut and so on. Any information would be greatly appreciated 20180221_173425_resized.jpg 20180221_173312_resized.jpg 20180221_180127_resized.jpg 20180221_173425_resized.jpg 20180221_173312_resized.jpg 20180221_180127_resized.jpg

5. douglas44

douglas44 New Member