Wharfedale W70D they are singing again!

ausman1000

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just finished a recap of the cross overs and what a difference. They sound beautiful and clear and bright. Loving it.
IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG

What values did you use? i have some nice W70Ds downstairs that need a recap.

Thanks,
Scott

Perfect. I will have to start sourcing some.

Thanks ausman1000
Let me correct that...the original is 16uf the replacement is 15uf. The other original is 4uf and was replaced with the same value. If you want to purchase the new old stock matching pair 4uf I have a pair left over and it is currently listed on ebay. Just search PIO 4uf and USA only.

I am truly blown away by the difference this recap has made. If there are any non believers, oh well! I tested these speakers tonight hooked up to a Marantz model eighteen playing the 1966 Decca stereo sampler album on a modern Technics turntable and it is literally a day and night difference after the recap. Absolutely loving it!

I have a pair of Dovedale 3's which I listen to daily and I absolutely love them. I haven't opened them up yet as they sound pretty good to my ears but I'm constantly thinking to myself - would they sound even better with a recap. I've listened to recapped Wharfedales on YouTube but obviously it's impossible to get any real idea how they actually sound. I think I know the answer to my question and I just need to add it to the list of other things I need to do!

I have a pair of Dovedale 3's which I listen to daily and I absolutely love them. I haven't opened them up yet as they sound pretty good to my ears but I'm constantly thinking to myself - would they sound even better with a recap. I've listened to recapped Wharfedales on YouTube but obviously it's impossible to get any real idea how they actually sound. I think I know the answer to my question and I just need to add it to the list of other things I need to do!
In my experience changing caps will make an auditory difference with old speakers, you really have nothing to loose. Some like keeping things authentic, you know, change nothing from the day they came of the assembly line. In my opinion why not do what is needed to make them sound as the original designer intended?

Back
Top Bottom