wharfedale woofer surround - reseal?

madmonda

I recently aquired a pair of w90's and noticed my woofers do not have any sealant on the cloth surrounds. No residue, no clues to having ever been sealed, nothing. I searched the web and find many references to AR speakers, but haven't come across any info on wharfedales. How do your woofers look? How are the surrounds sealed? Should they be sealed, or not? What have you found/used to reseal them?

I haven't found an universally accepted formula or producy for resealing clothe surrounds. I found many references to an AR enthusiast, that used to sell something to reseal surrounds on ebay. Unfortunately, I also found a thread that he says he no longer sells the stuff.

When i first got the speakers, two of my woofers made the voice coil rub sound (overpowerd by previous owner...or sag?). I rotated the woofers 90 degrees and have eliminated the sound about 90 percent...but the sound occasionally comes back while playing music. I can't duplicate the rub while the woofers are out and sitting flat. I can replicate the sound when they're mounted & while gently pressing on them (but i may not be distributing force evenly). Any other tips besides rotating the woofers? Can this issue be partially caused by the surrounds not being sealed?

Any recommendations or observations?

I'm not giving up on these speakers! They are good...really GOOD!!!

Finally found s thread with the info that I was looking for. There's nothing else to see here.....

Back
Top Bottom