What’s a reasonable next step?

Kyle_01

hi all-

I don’t chime in much but do a lot of reading here, research, etc.

Here’s where I’m at- got into some tube audio by way of a HK a50k (got it from Tom, aka BuickGuy) and it had all of his typical parts swapping and maintenance done. It’s been a lovely sounding amp, sourcing a quad of NOS Telefunken 12ax7’s really made it sing (though I do occasionally roll in others- naturally!)
At any rate, through a pair of Heresy III’s with “amplifier surgery” silver cables and my Rega P40/Ortofon Bronze... things sound great. Not much to complain about as far as my tastes/budget are concerned.
But- I’m ready to try something different in the amplifier department...
I’d like to try something vintage but it doesn’t have to be, I’m here to learn. As far as preamps go, I’ve got an AMC cvt1030 that I’ve owned for a while (and have installed sockets in, and recapped with Wima’s and Mundorfs (for coupling caps) as well as all of the other electrolytics in both power supply and main board (not that it matters, but it sounds good) Also available to me is an Audible Illusions Modulus IIc which is by far a “nicer” pre- but in some ways I prefer the AMC’s tone controls (and way cheaper tubes)

Where should I start? I’d be looking to spend $1500- $2000ish and wouldn’t mind doing a little of the dirty work (caps,etc)

Without knowing my ass from my elbow- my eyes (haven’t heard one) tell me that an HK Citation is what I need... but I’m sure some of you guys can spend my money more wisely than I!

Thanks for sticking with the long read and thanks for any input.

Kyle

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in the "...try something different in the amplifier department...". Your speakers are relatively efficient, so you probably don't need extra power - or at least it's not clear if that is a concern. If you are looking for a different sound, then maybe try an amp with different output tubes, a single-ended amp (triode or pentode), a push-pull triode amp, or an amp that can be easily reconfigured and biased for different tubes to try out some tube rolling.

You also mention pre-amps. So, as your current H-K is an integrated, you would be looking at both a power amp and a pre-amp if you wanted to try separates.

Thanks-

I should elaborate I guess- as I said, very happy with the sound. I would like to see what it would take to have some more “slam” (not sure that’s what you’d call it) as in- when a certain passage goes quiet to crashing drums, etc. the sound is more... immediate? Startling? Faster?? Not sure if I’m explaining it correctly.

And yes, I’m using an integrated but I’ve got 2 preamps- important to know I figured as it’s pretty important if someone was to suggest separates.

Kyle

Back
Top Bottom