What a dork!

Thumpy

I picked up a Luxman M-12 power amp a while back and I haven't had time to try it until today. I thought to myself, "Hmm, power amp. I need a pre and a source. I'll use my Sansui 9090 receiver, pull the pre-main jumpers and connect RCA-ended cables from the Sansui pre-out to the Luxman main-in." Got the speakers hooked up to the Luxman. OK, Sansui on, set to "FM", volume all the way down, speaker outs "off". FM stereo light on, tuning centered, signal strength good. OK, fire up the Luxman. A couple of seconds, then the speaker relay clicks. So far, so good. I inch up the volume and voilà, glorious music! But when I turn the balance ring on the Sansui to the left, both channels fade out. Hmmm, I didn't expect that. I move it back to the center and both channels sound normal. I try again, with the same result. Geez, did I hook up the speakers incorrectly? A quick glance show they are correct. Maybe the 9090 needs DeOxit, but I just did it a few weeks ago and it should last longer than that. Well, it turns out that turning the outer balance ring was also turning the inner knob - the volume knob! Just when I was starting to take myself seriously...

Glad that this story had a happy ending. :yes: I hate it when the story ends up with smoke & fire coming out of the unit.

Anything you can walk away from without smoke inhalation or blisters, is a workable situation... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

When I moved my audio to the basement awhile back I carefully hooked everythink back up. But for some reason the Sat. wasn't working. So I phone customer service of the Sat. company and the lady is walking me through the set up. I am saying to myself, I know how to hook things up. Then it dawned on me, its not plugged in, arrgh! :butt1:

Thumpy, I just scored a Yamaha CA-1010 built the same way... and did the same thing! Just be glad you didn't turn the ring to the RIGHT like I did.

God, was that ever loud....

Tom

kenwood 600 comes Fed-Ex, can't waste time looking at all the switches it has that I have never seen before on a amp. Got to hook her up and see what she sounds like. WOW sure sounds fine, But volume knob sure is turned up a lot for this powerful a amp. Well we will turn it up a little more. not crazy loud ,but loud. Whats this switch that has + 10 db. do? You all know what happend next ! Wonder the speakers lived. Don;t anyone tell EchoWars !

Yeah, we should rename this thread, "Things we'll never tell Echowars!"

Reminds me of the time I was doing one of my periodic equipment shufflings. Due to a lack of outlets I was making extensive use of the built in outlets on the backs of many of the components. Most are labeled with a MAX wattage label.
I hit the switches and got NOTHING. I figured I had exceeded the max wattage and blew something. I didn't know whether to cry or cuss.
After about a half hour of retracing ALL the lines, I found that I had things plugged into each other but NOTHING going to a wall outlet.

Normally I'd be ashamed to tell anyone this because I have a reputation as an audio geek, but I feel safe here......

....til Echowars shows up!

And don't forget the easily confused tape out/in jacks, especially when trying to hook up a system in low light conditions (and at times coupled with a foggy brain). When connecting a system a long time ago, I mixed up the tape out/in and of course, no sound on tape... Looked like a schmuck, but as I explained, stuff happens.

Glad your fix was easy Thumpy.

Cheers,
Joe

Kitty cat got me too! She walked behind the HT setup and stepped on the plug strip power button. I actually had the cover off of the electrical panel looking for a bad breaker :lmao: (I'm an electrician) dohhh!!!

Kevin

A CR-2020 I bought on eBay -seller said powers up but no sound. Put it on the bench and hooked up the test speakers, antenna, turned it on, heard the relay click, but definitely no sound. Meters said FM was working. Then I reached behind the unit and threw the amp-preamp switch. Some genius had removed the screw and the little plastic dohicky that locks the switch in the connected position.

Rob

Amen!!!

GordonW said:
Anything you can walk away from without smoke inhalation or blisters, is a workable situation... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Glad it worked out OK! Sometimes we put to much into what we are trying to do and overlook the simple stuff! Been there done that. Will most likely be there again. :rofl: Oh well. Have fun. How is the sound?

Eric

A deal was had.

merrylander said:
A CR-2020 I bought on eBay -seller said powers up but no sound. Put it on the bench and hooked up the test speakers, antenna, turned it on, heard the relay click, but definitely no sound. Meters said FM was working. Then I reached behind the unit and threw the amp-preamp switch. Some genius had removed the screw and the little plastic dohicky that locks the switch in the connected position.

Rob

Had a similar experience with a TEAC 460 casstte. Ebayer said it did not work. It was a sticky record switch. A shot of DEOXIT cured it :yes: Nice to get somthing cool cheap!!

Eric

As mistakes go, it was not bad at all. It only took a minute or two to figure out what I was doing wrong and I didn't blow anything up. The only casualty was my ego, but I should be able to pound the dents out of it. Also, I am happy to report that the Luxman M-12 seems to be very well made and is a nice sounding amp!

Been there and did that. Have a h/k EQ I hardly use. Fired up my system, and no music? Tried the tunner's, Cd player, tape, and all the speakers, nothing :cry: God did I have another melt down :worried: Both both power amps where up, could have the new preamp took a dump?

Remember the h/k Eq? Used it the night before but did not have it powerd up. Yeap the eq on button was in but not the power button.

I was ready to sh-t a power supply :rofl:

Cuda Ken, messing with button's again. :thmbsp:

I decided to copy a laserdisc to a VCR tape.

I record the tape and then try it. looks good, NO audio.

Takes me a while to remember that my Laserdisc player has the video running through the VCR, but the audio is running to my AMP !

Silent movies anyone ?

Had a similar experience with a TEAC 460 casstte. Ebayer said it did not work. It was a sticky record switch. A shot of DEOXIT cured it Nice to get somthing cool cheap!!

Eric

I've bought 3 different models of Technics CD players in the past - 2 from my local dump and one at a car boot sale whcih i was told wasn't working.

All 3 didn't work...........................until i turned them over and removed the laser transit lock screws............. :thmbsp:

Had a Hafler D100 (Model ??) given to me, said it didn't sound right - Humm, opened it up - no output devices in one channel, and 3 pieces of zip cord, one jumpering the input jacks together, 2 jumpering the output jacks together. No wonder it sounded strange.

Back
Top Bottom