What a relief! Scheduled removal of tube tv! :D

I still have my CRT Wega in my living room. I paid retail for it back in the day, and it will sit there until it dies. It still gets watched a few times a week. My wife babysits sometimes, and it's a good TV for that. I don't have to worry about kids hurting it, lol. You can throw controllers at it all day and nothing's gonna happen :)

One nice feature was built in diagnostics, with test screens and evarthang. Couldn't have been that old, as it had a basic wireless remote - on/off and channel up/down. Unfortunately, it had finally bit the bullet beyond my ability to repair. Console was pretty ratty as well, and I can't imagine anyone having a use for it.
Probably was not a better model as AFAIK the early SS ones did not have an internal test pattern generator...Still, too bad it had to die.

The wireless TV remote dates back to 1955 when Zenith invented the Flashmatic and a year later came out with the (much more stable/refined) SpaceCommand ultrasonic remotes that became the industry standard for ~2 decades (most makes offered wireless remote control as an option by 1960) until IR based remotes began to replace ultrasonic types. So the presence of a remote does not really date it, however it does say it was not a budget model.

Not SS ... tubes ... not that it matters much. Sorry I can't come up with a model number ... I did have a Sam's and all the original paperwork, but tossed that as well.

About 8 years ago I had a buddy with a rental house and the renter left in a midnite move leaving several things including a 32 and a 36 Sanyo CRT TV's. They were free so I took them both.The 32 went in the bedroom and the 36 ended up in the shop on a stand I built onto the side of the work bench. The 32 crapped out just before Christmas and the 36 was slowly losing pic definition so Wally world had a sale on RCA 32" HD flat screens so we bought two. Got rid of the 32 but the 36 is still sitting on its stand in the shop because I almost popped a vein in my head getting it up there 8 years ago. I built a stand for the flat screen out of some left over lumber I had kicking around here so the wife and I wouldn't have to fight getting that beast down from its current resting place. I'm not getting any younger or stronger so one day I need to find a young strong volunteer to help me get rid of it. I'd like to put the flat screen there because it's taking up valuable floor space in front of my record collection now.

Not SS ... tubes ... not that it matters much. Sorry I can't come up with a model number ... I did have a Sam's and all the original paperwork, but tossed that as well.
It had a tube based chassis and a remote? OUCH!:(:thumbsdown: Those are VERY rare and desirable...Had you posted about it on VK someone would have given you decent money for it and hauled it away for you (plenty of VK members in Michigan near you). I'm going to guess the "test-screens" were the blank raster and collapsed vertical deflection(service) modes of the service switch. The only tube sets that had diagnostics beyond that which I can think of were Heathkits. I wonder if that 'kaboom' was worth the loss of a c-note? :bye:

Sylvania was a small-name low sales brand until their last tube/Solid-State hybrid chassis the D12 and D16 those were such good performing sets they elevated the brand greatly...The D16 and earlier sets are VERY scarce. Odds are someone would have paid you $50-150 for the set, even not working...Heck if I was passing through the area I'd have tried to buy it.

It is amazing what kind of ills some of those sets can come back from with a skilled tech. A few years back I pulled a D16 Sylvania out of a ditch as a parts set. It appeared to have spent multiple years (decades?) outside, and was rotted inside and out to the point I did not expect it to run again, but decided to try fixing it for a laugh....The blasted thing actually worked half way decent after I got through with it...I Left the case ratty to emphasize it's Zombie TV status.

You, sir, are an insignificant blip on the radar. ;)
Many of us here (I include myself) like old tube gear and other things the majority abhor,
but VERY few folks want an HD CRT set - most want a skinny, wall hugging flat screen they can lift themselves.

No insult meant, but WE are hardly the typical market types.

And you still play hell trying to get rid of the big CRT HD TVs ... even working ones ...

The following is the opinion of a deranged TV collector/ AK-VK dual citizen (ie. me :D)...

As someone who collects antique TVs (mostly consoles) WWII-mid 70's I've learned to deal well with big heavy things...I've had to move twice since I started collecting, the second time we did not have movers. If there is a big flat surface on a set and the stairs have carpet you would be amazed how easily you can slide a big heavy object up or down the stairs.

I beg to differ.
I had been looking for a superfine pitch HD-CRT for years (someone else in the area had a want ad out for one too), and in the last 3 months I've have had 2. Got a 30" non-superfine pitch HD sony off the curb. I lifted all 148lbs into my car's trunk then carried it a good 100' from car to house and into the basement (everything but the stairs was all me)...Only to carry* it back out to give to a friend when I got a bigger (208lb) set....The bigger 34" one I paid $50 for carried (with help) down from a second story, and back up a story to use in my room...That set is currently too heavy for me to carry up stairs on my own (unless they are REALLY wide stairs), but I was able to lift it ~36" to set it on top of the 1971 Zenith tube/SS hybrid TV console that has been my daily driver for the last 8 years (and will continue to see use). *I've heard setting those sonys on their face ruins the shadow-mask inside the CRT so sliding it on it's face (it's only viable surface) was not practical.

Got my current HD flat screen on a scissor-mount screwed into Wall studs - doesn't take any space on the console and isn't getting knocked over in any way.
As my friends call it the altar of audiophilia ... (we all have one)-
Tonight may be a good night for the BluRay of "The Last Waltz" -
the latest issue of Vanity Fair has an article by Robbie Robertson about that Thanksgiving event ...

2015-UREI-HT_9400.jpg

Last edited:
You never called ME an insignificant blip ... :( ... Then again, I expect my significance is so slight I don't even show up as a blip ... :dunno:

(hello ... hellowwww ... is this thing on? tap tap ... )

Thread does remind me of a local tv repair shop near where I grew up ... remote area, and I'd stop by every now and then to see what little gems I could scrounge up to (hopefully) work some magic on. Got some neat gear that way - still got a couple Hallicrafter sw sets here courtesy of dumpster diving there.

Anyway, the glass must have been a foot deep in the corner they'd set up for target practice using old sets ... anything without a repair tag on it was fair game.

Makes sense.........so you're better off paying strangers to see what you own and traipse through your living space with their cooties and germs:crazy:
Why are you trolling me?

I will push it onto the landing, and they won't see a thing or traipse through the space. And anticipating that you might suggest that I do the same for a stranger off craigslist, I am not going to move it back and forth for every random cl person who might or might not show up. I have an appointment with the removal people, who are licensed and bonded, also.

Maybe I should ask a mod to just remove this dumb thread, I really had no idea I'd get criticized and bashed for being relieved that I'll be able to get rid of an albatross 'round my neck. Geez.

My thanks to those who were understanding of my viewpoint and those with kind suggestions.

Last edited:
Ok; if you consider offering advice trolling then so be it. And so you won't have to worry about me "trolling" you ever again it's ignore time for you and hopefully you'll reciprocate:bigok:

Last edited:
If I had the opportunity, from the second floor, I would schlepp it to a window it can go out of, over where a dumpster can be moved, and airmail it into the dumpster. Mine's only 4 steps down, the other is 12 steps up a narrow concrete stairway.
Like this: :)

A thrift store near me is trying to sell one of those huge rear projection TVs for "only" $149.99. Good luck!

I gave my 34" Toshiba TheaterWide HD CRT set to a cousin of a friend with a couple free HDMI and component cables. Last I heard it was being enjoyed every day.

In my new house, I'm going to hang either my Barco 1209 or my friend's NEC XG751 CRT projector in my basement and use it as a movie theater.

I have a 27 inch Sony. I have no plans of getting rid of it. Great picture and it works fine in the office. It sits on a small desk in the corner of the room so it actually takes up no more usable space than a new flat screen would. I bought it cheap just as the TV transition was taking place. It was only to be used as a TV in my basement studio it served me well there and serves me well now in the office. I had no idea they were so hated.

(Sigh!) :( I've got a colossol situation much akin to you guys.

Got this 50" Hitachi rear gun mammoth in the basement, weighing in at 283 1/2 lbs that I dread removing when its time is due...and after 13 years? I'm holding my breath.

I still remember the movers bringing it in with a rope around it sliding it down the stairs on two 2x6's. It's will be going the opposite way on the take out, as gravity's gonna get in the way. (Sigh!)

Y'all feelin' any better on your 30 inchers?

Q

(Sigh!) :( I've got a colossol situation much akin to you guys.

Got this 50" Hitachi rear gun mammoth in the basement, weighing in at 283 1/2 lbs that I dread removing when its time is due...and after 13 years? I'm holding my breath.

I still remember the movers bringing it in with a rope around it sliding it down the stairs on two 2x6's. It's will be going the opposite way on the take out, as gravity's gonna get in the way. (Sigh!)

Y'all feelin' any better on your 30 inchers?

Q

50"? You must be talking rear screen projection right? If so, you can disassemble that puppy into manageable chunks pretty easily. The actual CRT's inside those are pretty small.

50"? You must be talking rear screen projection right? If so, you can disassemble that puppy into manageable chunks pretty easily. The actual CRT's inside those are pretty small.

Thought about taking the beast apart...but gotta contact a couple of museums first. :biggrin:

Q

Thought about taking the beast apart...but gotta contact a couple of museums first. :biggrin:

Q

LOL. It wasn't that long ago that I finally got rid of my sony fifty-something-inch rear screen crt projection TV. A buddy and I scored it and a similar sized mitsu for about $150 plus a uhaul rental about 15ish years ago. We had to get them from a second story. I think my sony croaked about 4 or 5 years ago and I still managed to get $75 for it from someone who wanted to pratice repairs on it.

I owned a 220 pound 36 inch crt hd tv for years. I loved the picture on it but moving it was always a nightmare. I finally gave it away away to two guys who struggled mightily to lift it and take it away.

LOL. It wasn't that long ago that I finally got rid of my sony fifty-something-inch rear screen crt projection TV. A buddy and I scored it and a similar sized mitsu for about $150 plus a uhaul rental about 15ish years ago. We had to get them from a second story. I think my sony croaked about 4 or 5 years ago and I still managed to get $75 for it from someone who wanted to pratice repairs on it.

I can relate, MK.

It's like having an elephant in the basement. When I invite somebody over to take in a movie, I ask them to check out the dept of this mammoth and their can't believe how big the unit is.

But like you, I still can get a decent HD 1080i picture via a HDMI to DIV into the back of the TV. The colours are still bright and true. I never have to fiddle with any video controls.

I do like the analogue connection. Others have also remarked on the warm sound it produces.

So, until either I or it decides to go over to the "other side"...I guess we're stuck with each other. A rear gunned hulking beast from a the past with a 2015 Yammy AV receiver for power. Strange buds, but it works for me.

Q

Some people will take these TVs, especially for gaming. The big annual Habitat for Humanity garage sale I volunteer at is coming up this Saturday. We have a LOT of these TVs donated and we've had to manage things over the years. Last year we started limiting donations to 1)working 2)has the remote and 3)has aux inputs for game consoles. AND we put antennas up and got them all playing during the sale. We must have unloaded 20 TVs, at least half a dozen were these huge ones, and had only 2 TVs left at the end of the one-day sale. Granted we were getting $5-$10 each for them but the cash went to a good cause and we kept em out of the landfill. You do need good dollies to move them though. I prefer a two wheel inflatable tire dolly, blanket over the front and put it face first onto the dolly since that's where the weight is. Strap it if necessary.

BTW the majority of the hazardous mass is the lead in the glass. Electronic recyclers send the glass to a lead smelter where it's used as 'flux' in the smelting process. You gotta have some silica-based material to collect up all the undesirable stuff and separate out into a slag layer during the smelting. CRT glass works for that. There's a smelter here in MO that recycles a lot of stuff (rather than smelting ore out of the ground).

Also moving soon and had a 26" CRT set to get out of the basement. Advertised on CL several times with no takers. Relisted as a vintage display device and sold the next day (for $5). It is all in the marketing.

Back
Top Bottom