What a relief! Scheduled removal of tube tv! :D

th
My last CRT
th

Never liked CRT TV's ... started to despise them when manufactures kept making them bigger (boat anchors) and they started being a real PITA to move around & took up way too much space.

I've got one CRT(31 Sanyo) left in my Wife's retreat room ... and I doubt if I wait till the thing craps out ... the 1940's technology was perfected and lasted for years & years before they died ... as long as you liked the crappy 60 year old NTSC (in USA) picture image.

These kind of video's are all over YouTube ... my Dad experienced this in his teenage years (history repeating itself) w/ the old "Ice Box" which became obsolete ... he remembered them being carted off to dump sites (by the truck load) and guys using them for target practice.

Last edited:
Dear lord......that's horrible. Sorry, nj.

It is in fact horrible but it was 13 years ago (i sure miss that tv:D).

There's an old joke that goes,
Why does divorce cost so much?

Its worth it!

Not to run this thread off the rails.
I'm not rich , but money is only money.
It certainly set me back. (Perhaps never to catch up) but life is too short. I have no regrets about the divorce. I'm in a good place in my life and I'm happy.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :dunno:

Electronic M said:
As someone who collects antique TVs (mostly consoles) WWII-mid 70's I've learned to deal well with big heavy things...

God bless you.... CRTs are beautiful!! :)

It is in fact horrible but it was 13 years ago (i sure miss that tv:D).

There's an old joke that goes,
Why does divorce cost so much?

Its worth it!

Not to run this thread off the rails.
I'm not rich , but money is only money.
It certainly set me back. (Perhaps never to catch up) but life is too short. I have no regrets about the divorce. I'm in a good place in my life and I'm happy.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :dunno:
The best $700 I spent. She wanted to run around all the time, and I got tired of it. She didn't even fight me for the kids when she left almost 10 1/2 years ago, and she pays me child support!

I have a 29' Panasonic CRT for my older consoles and it already is a pita to move around, i can only imagine how much of an effort would be required to take a 34' CRT from the second floor of house!

We have a winner!
Best scroe I've ever seen on this board:D:eek2::jump::thumbsup:
She crapped a brick when I went after child support and won. She'd promised to help me with them, and she never would. I told her that they needed school supplies (3 kids) and she spent a whole $13 for 3 kids. I called her and politely told her that she was a deadbeat and then filed for child support. She thought she'd be cute and she talked two of the kids into moving in with her thinking she'd get out of it; nope, they're STILL making her pay back support!!!!:rockon:

Got Junk will recycle it that is a good thing. Will probably also get a few bucks from the recycler too.

She crapped a brick when I went after child support and won. She'd promised to help me with them, and she never would. I told her that they needed school supplies (3 kids) and she spent a whole $13 for 3 kids. I called her and politely told her that she was a deadbeat and then filed for child support. She thought she'd be cute and she talked two of the kids into moving in with her thinking she'd get out of it; nope, they're STILL making her pay back support!!!!:rockon:

Great to know that there's still justice in this old world.

Stick to yer guns, m'8!

Q

I miss the days of my Wild Youth abandoned when you could find, W/O too much difficulty, a console TV that was all tube, & you could have a pretty good time for the better part of a day, "Harvesting" the little tubes outta it, balancing them atop a fencepost, then taking yr favorite trusty .22, & plinking them off...An enterprising kid, in the roughly 1968-71 time line. could almost always find a way to entertain himself.. And the sight of said boy w/a .22, was never a cause for alarum, as it would likely be nowadays. We got stopped by the cops, but they knew us-Or, at least, our Daddies, & about the sternest warnings we ever got was to "Be Careful"...

Think about how many tubes that would be worth 100s (maybe 1000s) today:idea:.
Chances are if i was there with you we'd be fighting over which tubes we got to shoot:D
Heck, everyone needs a hobby.

Never liked CRT TV's ... started to despise them when manufactures kept making them bigger (boat anchors) and they started being a real PITA to move around & took up way too much space.

They didn't FORCE you to buy bigger and bigger ones...

I have a 29' Panasonic CRT for my older consoles and it already is a pita to move around, i can only imagine how much of an effort would be required to take a 34' CRT from the second floor of house!

' is feet...I bet a 29-foot CRT is pretty darned heavy!

My Craigslist often has deals on used 40-foot and 50-foot flat screens. A little big for my house. :biggrin:

Got Junk will recycle it that is a good thing. Will probably also get a few bucks from the recycler too.

Nah, more likely an electronic recycler will CHARGE to take a CRT TV. Mine charges $20 for anything up to 27" or thereabouts, and $30 for the big ones. Luckily I know the guy that runs it, and when I haul junk from the annual Habitat for Humanity garage sale, he doesn't charge me a dime.

The main cost is getting rid of the Pb-containing glass. There used to be a primary Pb smelter here in MO but it's shut down, and there is only a recycling smelter left operating. The glass can be ground up for 'flux' but I don't think they need as much of it with that primary smelter closed. I've seen this guy's recycling operation, they disassemble everything into plastic and metal parts, circuit boards and transformers, wire. It all gets recycled. There is nothing that comes in that they will pay YOU for, though.

I can carry a 27 inch tv up and down stairs no problem

my 72 year old dad and I carried my 36 inch down stairs and into his truck

goodwill took it

I kinda miss it

I still have a 21 inch crt pc monitor and a 27 inch crt tv

the 27 is going away soon because my roku 2 sucks on youtube

haha oh and I am a gimp ha ha har

The Electronic "recycling" I participated in this morning was particularly brutal.
There was a front end loader, and they filled the bucket,

When full they then dumped the bucket into a rather full dumpster, swiveled the bucket back up and PUSHED down
with the bottom of the bucket to the accompaniment of popping, tearing and squealing.

Absolutely NO opportunity to scope out their take for any Pioneer Silver.

Aw man, I hate seeing those destruction videos... If you're going to EOL something, part out the good stuff! Just that Fresnel lens in the rear projection TVs is amazing... build a frame and you can mount it and make a death ray, or an outdoor oven... the boards have components galore... the lenses are mostly plastic, but there is usually a very good glass one in the middle! Speakers... come on... It's a DIY treasure trove. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom