What about these 6L6GC?

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
linky
ce_1.JPG

Ad says:
While not a true 5881 (it’s actually a servo tube once used in Soviet military aircraft), the Sovtek 5881/6L6WGC can be installed in any application where a 5881 or 6L6GC is called for. The Sovtek 5881 is exceptionally rugged and is recommended for amps with higher plate voltages. This is the wafer-base version, which has been the factory output tube in the Soldano SLO 100, the 6L6 outfitted Marshalls of the 1990s, and is also rebranded by Mesa-Boogie as their STR-425. Otherwise identical in construction to the full-base Sovtek 5881WXT found in current production Fender amps.

I haven't heard any but if I had a choice I would go with the EH since they are popular with audio guys. I would stay away from Russian military surplus because how they sounded was the furthest thing from the minds of the designers and makers of the tubes. Surviving battlefield conditions was the only priority and Russian workers under the Soviets are not renowned for quality workmanship. However the military was proity one and I am sure they got the best and most rugged making these great for Heavy Metal guitar amps.

I am currently running a set of Svetlana 6L6-GC's in my MC-240 which sound great. They are new production and I picked them up from
www.tubestore.com for $25.95 / matched pr. I've purchased from them a couple of times and had good service.
Regrdz
Bill

Thatch_Ear said:
Aren't the EH made by Svetlana?
They are made by Sovtek, who also makes one incarnation of Svetlana. The *real* Svetlana factory uses a cryllic "S" logo that roughly looks like this: =C=. The others are made in the old Reflektor factory. All are good IMO, with the E-H and *real* Svetlana's being slightly better.

id stay away from the eh's as they're not true 6l6gc's.you have to keep in mind that a stock 6l6 variant will work but the plate voltages put on the tubes by the amp can be alot higher than what the tubes are rated for thus eventually shortening tube life.i forget what the mc40 has for b+ but theres a reason it calls for either 6l6gc's or 7027's and thats because of the high plate voltage. i dtill say pick up a quad of swetlana's that celt pointed out .ive been using them in my mc30's and fairchild 260's with no problems to date.good luck.
chris

what's the best new production 6L6s?

Bill Allan said:
I am currently running a set of Svetlana 6L6-GC's in my MC-240 which sound great. They are new production and I picked them up from www.tubestore.com for $25.95 / matched pr. I've purchased from them a couple of times and had good service.
Regrdz
Bill

guys,

also got my quartet of Svetlana 6L6GCs from thetubestore.com. i heard some svet EL34s before and they were indeed better than the Sovteks so i went on to get the svets 6L6GCs hoping that they would sound similarly warm and sweet in my Consonance m99+.

from your experience guys, what other brands of new production 6L6 tubes are available out there. i've heard the J/J Tesla plugged into the same amp that i have and the svets 6L6GCs are more to my liking. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom