What amp drives your Infinities?

Currently driving newly acquired RS 7 Kappa.
340 wpc@4

1_1.jpg

And anxiously awaiting their turn
400 wpc@4 and 730 wpc@4 respectively

750B%20and%20700B_1.jpg

Last edited:
wow a lot of choices!!

I figured I`d start with the Yamaha and get a feel for what the speakers are all about before changing out an amp. The Phase Linear will be next to go in as I have not had a chance to really give it a good listen since it was completely upgraded and overhauled.
I`m familiar with the BGW`s characteristics which I suspect at the moment, may not be a good match so I`ll leave it for last.

Old thread but:
Got Kappa 7.1i's brand new in the early 90's. Drove with a Kenwood Model 600 integrated for years followed by several NAD power amps and a Hafler DH220. Eventually dragged a Phase Linear 700B out of storage which much later got a full White Oak Audio conversion. After the conversion - OMG!

Kappa 9s and QLS-1s driven by Sony Amps

I bi-amp either a pair of QLS-1s or Kappa 9s using a pair of Sony TA-N80 ES amps with great success. The preamp is a Sony TA-E77ESD. Sony doesn't get much respect but their ES gear is great value.

A big old list of lovely amps here.
A big note: very few have been harmed by the overblown concern over impedance dips in the "diabolic" Infinity speaker systems.

I'm contemplating to substitude my Levinson ML-2's for Conrad Johnson Premier Five amps on the mid/high section of my QLS's.
Any thoughts?

I'm contemplating to substitude my Levinson ML-2's for Conrad Johnson Premier Five amps on the mid/high section of my QLS's.
Any thoughts?

How are you managing the amp power mismatch between the Crown and the Levinson. Are you using an active crossover? My qls 1's are not quite ready for service, but I've accumulated a couple k2's, a 100wpc stereo tube amp and a couple Dynaco MK iii's. I am going to try the pair of K2's biamped with the passive onboard crossovers (already recapped) . Then later, for comparison, will try using an external active xovers and quad amp. K2 on watkins and mid bass, 100 wpc on mids and Dynaco on tweets and bypass internals crossover except for watkins. Interested in your setup!

you have to adjust the bias of the 2 amps using an active crossover, or use them as mono blocks (1 for each speaker) if you can

Zarathustra said he's using the high powered K2 on woofs, then 25 watt monos on uppers. The K2 does have adjustable output, but if using those controls with the factory passive xover in place, seems like you would really have to dial the K2 way down. I already have an active crossover for mine and have my passive crossovers wired externally. So I can switch from active to passive easily. Just have interest how he has his and how he balanced it. By ear or used measuring device?

Zarathustra said he's using the high powered K2 on woofs, then 25 watt monos on uppers. The K2 does have adjustable output, but if using those controls with the factory passive xover in place, seems like you would really have to dial the K2 way down. I already have an active crossover for mine and have my passive crossovers wired externally. So I can switch from active to passive easily. Just have interest how he has his and how he balanced it. By ear or used measuring device?
Yes I do dial down the output of the K2 but not a whole lot.
You gonna use the K2's in bridged mode on the Watkins?
Bridging means more power (Voltage doubling) but the same current so maybe not a favorable solution with tougher loads... Maybe a moot point with the K2's though :D

But how about Conrad Johnson Premier Five on the mid/bass section of the QLS?
I know Nudell always favored tubes on his big speakers. The RS-1 sounded the best with the CJ's on de mid/high towers according to the reviewers.
Only thing I'm worried about is the running these CJ's and buying a new set of 22 tubes every two or three years.

No plans to bridge. Will try vertical biamping first with the pair of K2's. Then move on to bypassing some of the passive crossovers and introducing the tubes. May try a single K2 on the woofs and tube amp on the uppers with passive xover. Just going to experiment. Probably should p/u a measurement mic to dial in the active.

if you don't use an active crossover how do you split the signal...?

Not sure who you are asking. The QLS1's have 2 pair of binding posts that have a jumper between. You can pull the jumper which separates the Watkins from the others. Then you can split the signal from the preamp however you like. Active crossover or just y cord. Then just feed 1 amp to watkins, other amp to mids and highs. Just use the internal crossover in the speaker. I have an active so I will give it a try both ways.

^^^^^^
Passive vertical biamping is an easy task with two equal amps(l/r gain control is a plus) and can pay off nicely.
Separating the signal with a good PLLXO or passive crossover should also work nicely.

Active biamplification with an active crossover without the passive x/over in play is a roll of the dice even with golden ears and measuring equipment, I would think:)

Back
Top Bottom