What AMP/receiver for Vandy 3's ?

AudCrshDumy

Hi (again :)
You'll be glad to know I (finally) bought the V3's...wow, so far...

So, I will use what I've got for now (Adcom 535/Onkyo 4500m2/SX950) but, am looking for suggestions...what's next in my future ?

Prefer old stuff, with knobs...how about that McIntosh stuff in knoxville TN's CL?

I think Classe mates well with Vandersteens, my fathers sounded great when he used Classe power, he went so far up the chain in gear that I wont list it lol.

I've heard good theings re. Nakamichi...
What about a TA-2A ?
I suspect I'll have a hard time finding a Classe used...

So, I will use what I've got for now (Adcom 535/Onkyo 4500m2/SX950) but, am looking for suggestions...what's next in my future ?

Prefer old stuff, with knobs...how about that McIntosh stuff in knoxville TN's CL?

If you pick up McIntosh equipment in Knoxville, drop it by Terry DeWick and have it restored. He has a link at the bottom of the AK home page.

That Adcom should deliver sufficient current and I think the pre amp influences sound more than the power amp IMO. You might look for a Yamaha C2x they have great build quality, a nice quiet background, full sound with detail, and a nice photo section. One thing to keep in mind with the Adcom is that many Adcoms have no speaker protection circuit and thus can pass d.c. to your speakers literally setting the woofer on fire, so might want to look into an external speaker protection circuit if you use the Adcom. Mac equipment is of course excellent as well and holds it value if not increasing if you decide you don't like it.

PSE amplifiers (Studio V, Studio IV) used to be one of the recommended amps for Vandersteens back in the 80's. They're not so common, but very well-built and a good value compared to some other vintage high-end. The Preamps and tuners don't go for much when they come up, so it ought to be possible to assemble a very nice system for not a whole lot, it'll just take time.
-Scott

FUGE

Not totally kidding. Vandersteen 3's need a LOT LOT LOT of power. They really won't sound very good, under 150w/ch, IME. That's just getting started, for them...

The amp should also be rock-solid into 4 ohms too. IIRC, most of the Vandersteen 3 woofers were 4 ohms (unlike the 2s, which mostly had 8 ohm woofers).

Regards,
Gordon.

I've not looked yet for the Knoxville McIntosh but if someone has an interest in it, I'd be happy to go check it out. If you buy it, I'll be happy to pick it up and either hold it til your arrival or deliver it myself to Terry's. His shop (home) is but a handful of miles from my office.

Legit offer

I suggest what's next is:-- whatever fixes whatever is non-optimal now. :D Meaning, enjoy some tunes, and occasionally listen critically and see what is lacking and work on that next... ? IMHO. :D

Michael

I've heard these with Cary, Audio Research, and Quicksilver and Halcro amps. The Vandy's are easy to listen to - an accurate but slightly laid back sound - but very revealing of what's upstream. Adding one or two of the Vandersteen subs is extremely worthwhile, too.

Pairing them with TOTL front end is not unreasonable, IMO.

What is TOTL ?
And yes, I will listen to them asap !
And, not sure the Mac's are in my future, I was thinking more like a month...just starting the research, and they'll probably be gone by the time I'm ready...
thx for all the help...

How about a Crown CH1 ? 300
Or a Crest FA-901 ? 80
Or a Macintosh MC2505 ? 900
A Yamaha M50 ? 150 I heard this mentioned...
Mac c29 and c2125 is listed for 1100 now...

Last edited:
Audio Research
Classe
Forte
Threshold
McIntosh
PSE
Audire
Robert Grodinsky

B&K
PS Audio
Superphon
Dunlap Clarke

Adcom
Yamaha

Pretty much any QUALITY amp from the above, and a few more, with 150wpc or more, will do it.

Buying in a month? Run the Adcom you have for two weeks and come back and describe the sound. A more powerful amp will give deeper and better (more controlled) bass, but we need to know if the sound seems bright or not to you, fatiguing or not.

We can then suggest, from the above, a brighter amp (Adcom, Yamaha), neutral (Audire), or warm (B&K, etc).

But aim at 150 or more watts. And any McIntosh purchase for a fair price is going to be a safe investment sound and money wise.

Yup, I emailed that guy re. the Mac stuff...
And will do re. the sound, got too much stuff (receivers, speakers, turkey) to swap around, may be a few weeks b4 I get the Adcom tangled up with the Vandy3's.
I am taking notes though...I read today the SX-1250 might be 'better' for some compared to the Kenwoods...so I'm tending back towards the 1250/1280.

Where would Kenwood, Sansui, or Conrad Johnson fit in the 'sound' schemes above, in general of course, disclaimers for ears etc ...

Kenwood would sound nice, as would sansui, but would it be enough power and grunt?

Often, it will not.

To properly pair the Vandies, you need an amp with proper wattage as well as reserve power- ie,

Conrad Johnson are usually up to the task. Rare top of the line supreme series kenwood may be. Kenwood also had some L series (I believe) amps, that came after the Suoreme series, that I'm sure are up to the task. Sansui gear? I own plenty or have owned plenty. Super gear. However, unless you are messing with the absolute top of the line models, they ain't going to allow the speakers to live up to their potential.

Typically, the best amps for this type of duty, are the boutique amps like Classe, Krell, Audire, B&K, and the others I mentioned.

There are many solutions to one problem. Find one of these boutique amps that has the reserve power, or a top of the line Yammie or Adcom or Kenwood or Sansui or the like-and it will do the job.

Answer these demands first-

Proper WPC.

Proper reserve power (high current/slew rate).

Proper build quality/durability/ability to handle heavy loads and low ohm ratings.

Then- worry about sound signature. Warm? Neutral? Bright? This is the fine tweaking.

I'd personally probably run B&K on them. Warmish amps that sacrifice some of the edginess of certain solid state gear with the sacrifice of a bit of resolution.

Others may find their ears, speakers and room prefer a brighter sound- more resolution, at the possible expense of listeners fatigue or shrillness to some.

Some may go neutral. Still, depending on your room, your speakers and your ears, this could sound dull, lifeless or boring. But a good match to your room, speakers and ears may say it's ideal and the best solution.

Happy holidays.

Back
Top Bottom