What Annoying Grammatical or Pronunciation *Error* Did You Come Across Today?

I'm not going to pursue the point here, but opinions vary in academia. For each link that you care to fire on me, there is another one that supports its ban.

I was paraphrasing from something that I'd read, nothing more.
Sorry, but one of my pet peeves is quoting "rules" that aren't rules.
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/starting-a-sentence-with-however-right-or-wrong

"However" is a perfectly good starting word. Use it with a comma to indicate a contrast to preceding text, or without a comma as a modifier indicating "in whatever way."

Last edited:
Certainly reasonable to begin sentences with 'however' and the others. I notice that I tend to do it too often, and end up with a paragraph constructed of long sentences with subordinate clauses out the wazoo. Perhaps the way to good writing is moderation, and a varied diet of sentence structure.

Two mispronunciations that irritate me a little involve applicable and nemesis. I was taught that the accents for both are on the first syllable, but often people put it on the second for both. A subtlety perhaps for applicable, but not at all for nemesis.

Two mispronunciations that irritate me a little involve applicable and nemesis. I was taught that the accents for both are on the first syllable, but often people put it on the second for both. A subtlety perhaps for applicable, but not at all for nemesis.
I think "applicable" probably varies by region. I have never heard "nemesis" pronounced with the accent on the second syllable, though. Ne-mee-sis? Ne-mess-sis?!

I think "applicable" probably varies by region. I have never heard "nemesis" pronounced with the accent on the second syllable, though. Ne-mee-sis? Ne-mess-sis?!

Really? I've heard ne-MESS-is more than I've heard it correctly - or damn near it, anyway. Have had people "correct" me more than once.

I didn't say CORRECT British. :biggrin:

BBC TV of late has some of the worst grammar and pronunciation I have heard. Some decades ago, BBC radio was the way to learn how to seak well, but there has been a severe downturn in their 'quality control'.
(I suspect the rot began to set in when it was no longer a requirement for radio announcers to wear a suit and tie.)

The English have this abominable phrase "was sat", when "was sitting" should be used: "He was sitting in the airport lounge."

Another pronunciation peeve is the American tendency to use certain present tense verbs when implying past tense. Particular exampe "spit", past tense "spat": "He spat into the cuspidor".

Certainly reasonable to begin sentences with 'however' and the others. I notice that I tend to do it too often, and end up with a paragraph constructed of long sentences with subordinate clauses out the wazoo. Perhaps the way to good writing is moderation, and a varied diet of sentence structure.
Try substituting "Shaniqua" for "However", and see where THAT takes the conversation....

Spoken language tends to be informal, so I am pretty accepting of idiosyncratic usages. If you're going to the trouble of writing language down, though, at least make an effort to have it be standard. A couple of oft-seen calamities that irritate me to no end are "of" used instead of "have" (would of, should of, could of - good grief!) and plurals used as singular nouns - common ones being criteria, phenomena, and bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom