What Annoying Grammatical or Pronunciation *Error* Did You Come Across Today?

My 20-month-old daughter has her own unique grammar that I actually quite love.

My son was the same. All birds were 'duckies' and he would say 'a duckie a roof' which meant a bird on the roof.

Turntables were roundabouts. And his favourite tune at that age was Chic's Good Times. It's such a beautiful age- enjoy it and treasure those little sayings. Make some recordings and I promise you, you'll listen to them in years to come with a tear in your eye.

It makes no sense, never did. If anything, it could have been Alumium.
It's only North America and Canada that spell it incorrectly and say it incorrectly, a total of 362 million out of 7.6 billion or to put it in perspective, 4.76% of the world population.

We spell and pronounce it that way because it just drives the other 95.24% of the population crazy, to the point where they bring it up in multiple posts on Audio forums :)

The following chart compares usage of aluminium vs. aluminum in British English works published since 1800,

aluminum-versus-aluminium.png

I think I see a trend.

I think I see a trend.

The only 'trend' you can take from that comparison is that both words are being written less frequently than they previously were- which is understandable.

Nobody could deny it is an aberration, one caused by a incorrect spelling in the first place. Webster's first dictionary mucked it up 16 years after the official name was decided upon and it stuck in the US.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Personally, I like Alumium more, which was Sir Humphry's first name for his element. :)

'nother couple gooduns are "farther" and "further". Admittedly they're tough ones. As I understand them:

Farther is a definition of distance
Further is a definition of degree

These two words are misunderstood all the time.

I ran farther than I ever did in the past.
I took my education a step further than my dad.

Passed and past. Two more gooduns.

Our history is in the past.
He passed a kidney stone.

S.J.

Addendum: I use aluninum foil when a grill whole salmon.

Some American people seem to pronounce 'Did'nt' - as 'Dinnant' - it always annoys me when I hear it. :)

Also 'solder' and 'sodder' :rolleyes:

Something I recently heard in the UK - "The whole place needs decorate" (!) instead of "The whole place needs decorating" - now that really did wind me up :D

to explain
decorating (UK) = making over (US) ?
Wouldn't that actually be "Didn't"?

Back
Top Bottom