What antenna can I use???

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by djnagle, Jun 29, 2018.

1. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Hi guys, I just picked up a Yamaha RX-395 receiver and the connection for the FM antenna looks like a co-axial but without the threads - so a push on I guess.

Here is the problem. I don't know if I need 75ohms or 300ohms. I see the flat "T" wires but it has just wire at the end. I see the 300ohms push on with the two screws. HELP

Please register to disable this ad.

2. amptramp

amptramp Active Member

Coax with or without threads is usually 75 ohms. A twin-lead antenna is usually 300 ohms. To use the antenna on 75 ohms, you use a matching transformer. They often look like this:

[​IMG]

Harvestor likes this.
  3. sinewaver

sinewaver Active Member

Somebody made a push-on that took twin lead. simple little thing. I have one (in use) I'll look at it and see if there's a brand.
    No brand, just Malaysia, 75 ohms. Might have been a Radio Shack part. Try some site that has 300 / 75 stuff. don't overlook that it isn't just for audio. TV would have used them as well. Antenna manufactures ? Good luck.

4. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Thanks guys. Im gunna run down to Rat Shak and see what the have.

Ps. I have a 10 foot length of cable coax and i tried to push it on the receiver nob. It wouldnt go on but it made the connection and sounded great.

5. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Many of the Yamaha components here have PAL fittings for coaxial 75 ohm input. R/S used to sell PAL to F (and vice versa) adaptors. PartsExpress has one gender, but not the other (if memory serves). I am sure Amazon or someone can come through.

Here's a borrowed photo of one for comparison:

[​IMG]
    source: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tuner&m=15513

PAL to "F" adaptor (from the same AA link):
    [​IMG]

6. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

7. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

After taking in all these ideas and making plans i looked on Amazon and found a stock yamaha RX395 FM antenna for 6 bucks. No shipping because i have Prime.

darkblue94 and musichal like this.
  8. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

I got the antenna Monday and hooked it up. This turner sounds great. Very good for a garage!!! Next up is installing an in-wall air conditioner.

musichal likes this.
  9. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

The funny thing about every tuner I've seen with 300 ohm had a balun inside since tank circuits are inherently unbalanced.

10. djnagle

djnagle Lunatic Member

Thanks for that Dew but I have no idea what said. What is a ballon and a tank circuit?

11. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

I bought one of those adapters pictured above, it is not the correct part as it is a RCA to F adapter
    Someone wrote that Rat Shack does have one but i have not tried it. I'd have to look for the part number.