1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What Are Some Of The Best Remote Controlled Tuners?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by musichal, Oct 20, 2018.

1. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Remote, for me, is not an option - but a necessity. Pretty much rules out analog, eh? Perhaps there may even be such a thing, I don't know. But I'm fine with digital. Just wondering what are the best tuners with this feature.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Where is your computer right now?

3. musichal

In my lap. But I prefer tuners.

4. bobschneider

bobschneider AK Subscriber Subscriber

Onkyo T-9090 II (reception)
    Rotel RT-990BX or RHT-10 (sound quality)
    Accuphase T-108 or later models (sound quality)

Later McIntosh also have remote. And a lot of Magnum Dynalab models had remote as an optional add on.

The Onkyo and Rotels will be cheaper than the others, but are around 25 years old now, and likely will need service to perform their best. And make sure a used tuner includes the remote- they often go missing over the years

musichal likes this.
  5. 4-2-7

Why?
    Have you ever hooked up a computer to a system and used it for a source?

6. 4-2-7

7. 4-2-7

8. musichal

I have listened to radio via my computer many times. I have a Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 beside my chair for headphones. I have a wire run from the Magni to the main system, and listen to files, too. The main system also has ROKU with Pandora and other music sources, including many internet radio stations. I get my jazz radio from a Denmark station.

But I like the sound of a good tuner. It's not that I'm unaware of internet choices. Music sounds better OTA to me, if you have a good station or two with formats you like. I spend most my tuner time on two local stations, one classical college station and one rock station. I wish we had a jazz station, but there is another college station that sometimes plays jazz.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    4-2-7 likes this.
  9. 4-2-7

This station is a very small independent and not much power. They cater to all black music and artist....mostly. Depending on the DJ they even spin records and 45s. Each volunteer DJ has their specialty R&B Jazz Blues Gospel and so forth. KPOO http://www.kpoo.com/

Can you put a tuner by your chair also and just run the RCAs to the system?

musichal likes this.
  10. musichal

Don't see why I'd need to do that. My Sony XDR-F1HD (bought one when they were new and selling for $80) has remote and sounds great to me. But no, the one wire I ran is hidden in a tight route that I wouldn't want any bulkier, nor do I have room by my chair for an analog model.

11. PabloTincho

PabloTincho Active Member

Any Sony tuner,
    Sony ST-S333ESXII
    Sony ST-S333ESG (got one, best tuner in my collection so far )
    Sony ST-S707ES

Sony ST-S730ES
    Sony ST-SA5ES

All those Sony share the same platform, they sound really good
    I also have a ST-SA50ES is the last Sony decent radio tuner, It has nice features, automatic selection of IF band, automatic stereo, mono and high blend, there are not super tuners but close enough, all of them have remote control, and the best ergonomics in a tuner

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    musichal likes this.

12. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Yamaha TX-1000 is a great remote controlled tuner. Excellent sound quality. Citation 23 is also remote controlled and may be a bit better for long distance, haven't compared the two, different rooms/floors in the crib.

musichal likes this.
  13. Nick_G

Nick_G Active Member

The Kenwood L-1000T is a pretty fearsome remote-controlled tuner. Superb for both sonics and DX.

musichal likes this.
  14. mr_light

mr_light AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use my Amazon Echo (as input to my receiver) to play radio stations. Anything that your can get via the TuneIn app you can play. I just say "Alexa play WAMU" or any other set of call letters from around the world. I also play Amazon Music Unlimited, but that does cost.

15. scoloheros

scoloheros Well-Known Member

There's a Kenwood on the top 5 list but I can't think of the model#.

16. eickmewg

eickmewg AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a Rotel RT-990BX with remote that is my best tuner.

musichal likes this.

17. GearHead454

GearHead454 Still Lost Subscriber

Just got a Sony XDR-F1HD. Great sound, not much of a looker. Mine is modded.

18. Bob@FM

Bob@FM Active Member

The TX-1000 and TX-950 can both use a cheap $15-20 Philips universal remote, you use one of the Yamaha receiver codes.
    It basically lets you scan up and down through the pre-saved stations. On those, the other settings are saved with the station, so no need for all the other functions (IF, stereo/mono, etc) on the remote.

19. musichal

Yeah, I've got one of those, too. It's on the main rig. Has had some mods, mostly for the back-up battery, but the AKer who modded it for me also replaced the RCA jacks, and (IIRC) some caps. Not sure exactly what else he did. I bought mine new many years ago, and having the battery back-up was the impetus for my mods. It came back sounding better than new. I hope it outlives me.