1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What are the BEST audiophile headphones for vintage systems?

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by IGSTER, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KG_Jag

KG_Jag Member

For vintage equipment (1970's through the early/mid 80's) I suggest headphones rated at least 250 Ohms +/-.

Will also need to know if having closed (more isolation & less sound leakage) or open cans are preferred.

3. iamjaymo

iamjaymo Active Member

My old Sansui AU-717 sure liked planar magnetics...MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs and my current ZMF Vibros absolutely thumped driven by the Sui!

4. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

If the headphone jack is being fed off the power amp you should have no problems. But if plan on using the headphone jack on a CD or DVD player, maybe a R2R, some times you might come up short with some of these newer low impedance headphones that require at least 10 db more power than older medium impedance headsets. In a few instances you need a separate headphone power amp module. Just familiarize your self with headphone specifications and you should be OK.

5. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

You do realize that "the best" is a purely subjective opinion, don't you? In any case, my Sennheiser HD-580's sound really great (to me) on an Marantz 2270.

DChen likes this.
  6. hatrack71

hatrack71 distracted by everything

Beyerdynamics for comfort (second to NONE..period), Stax for overall performance. Those are my recommendations.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Inscrutable

Inscrutable AK Subscriber Subscriber

Can't find the link right now, but recall Tyll published a great article on interpreting the measurements and driving requirements. I did a lot of research when I bought the Pono. Of course, not sure if you can ascertain any info about the source/jack characteristics.
    Anyone have a link to that article?

8. Pioneer Tom

Pioneer Tom New Member

I had a pair of Sennheizer's and bought a similar pair for my brother back in like 1990. Don't have them anymore but the did sound awesome!