What are the good ∞ speaker models?

Here is what I believe has been mentioned in this thread:

1500/pr. Kappa 7
2000-2200/pr Kappa 8* and updates (3" mid issues)
3000/pr Kappa 9* and updates (3" mid issues)
1450 RSII***** and * (Johnny_Law's vote)
975 RSIII** a/b maintenance free
5000 RS-I
6995 RS-IB
2600 QLS1***
1500 Quantum 2*
1050 Quantum 3**
850 Quantum 4*
2000/pr Renaissance 80
1599/pr Renaissance 90
11,950 Beta*
5500 Delta**
6950 Gamma**
10,000 Epsilon*
656 RSM
2100 RS2.5*
4200 RS4.5
25,000 IRS
RS with the EMIM are worthy
IRSM(bookshelf)
RSII=QLS1=RS2.5

The * is an additional recommendation.
Are there any glaring omissions to this list?

Now to add the list prices and selling range without discussing the price and I'll have my list of what to look for. But I have been enjoying the DQ-10s (first time hooked up in 15 months) with the electronic crossover and sub (first time) and the tube amps. Nothing earth shaking just sounds good. But without doing my homework, I won't know what to look for or if it is a deal.

Updated with some MSRP data from different sources. Some is not right or early or late prices for the unit during its life as a new model. Updates welcome.

Seems the price of admission was kinda high for the good ones. Finding them used is a bit more of a challenge than finding the more common highly regarded speakers but still not impossible. I'll just keep a look out.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^
I think the Infinity WTLC is as good as or better than more than a few on that list.

All of the original Kappa x and x.1 models are good. The later Kappa models (e.g. 600) are not of the same quality.

Can I add another vote to the RS-II? I just acquired and refurbished a pair, wasn't sure what to expect, and they knocked my socks off.

Can I add another vote to the RS-II? I just acquired and refurbished a pair, wasn't sure what to expect, and they knocked my socks off.
Oh man I hate to do this but no more votes for speakers on the list because this is a list not a popularity contest. Since it is on the list, you can be safe in assuming I will further investigate that particular model with no prejudice as to the number of Votes for a particular model.

I was easy figuring out Dahlquists, The 10, 20 and 30 are all good, the 10 being something special back in the day with passive and electronic crossovers available to facilitate the addition of a subwoofer or two. The ADS are also a known entity, the 910, 980, 2030, and 1590 topping the line in different ways. Then there is the Time Window, lotta choice there, get a TW not TW1a (based on my preference) but try to find the TW 3 or 7, done. Magneplanar, get some ribbon tweeter models, the 2.5, 2.6, III series or 20s, and you done good.

But this ∞ has 24 models and sub models with more sub models not on the list. I can't even fathom what kind of list would be generated with the JBL line, but i know I can just talk to BMWCCA and get a strong recommendation for a dozen models.

So many speakers so little time.

I'm not so sure what you wanted from a list that includes "the best".
Perhaps just go with the TOTL.
Not everybody has or heard the best and as far as popularity goes popularity can indicate best or very good.
These Infinitys, not included in the above list, are better sounding to me than the DQ-10, Timewindows/Timeframes and the ADS L1290 ie all of which I've owned.

Picture 989.jpg
Picture 207.jpg
Picture 487.jpg
Picture 2109.jpg

And what infinities are those. Remember i don't know the line and the goal of the thread is to educate the ignorant.

Oh man I hate to do this but no more votes for speakers on the list because this is a list not a popularity contest. Since it is on the list, you can be safe in assuming I will further investigate that particular model with no prejudice as to the number of Votes for a particular model.

I was easy figuring out Dahlquists, The 10, 20 and 30 are all good, the 10 being something special back in the day with passive and electronic crossovers available to facilitate the addition of a subwoofer or two. The ADS are also a known entity, the 910, 980, 2030, and 1590 topping the line in different ways. Then there is the Time Window, lotta choice there, get a TW not TW1a (based on my preference) but try to find the TW 3 or 7, done. Magneplanar, get some ribbon tweeter models, the 2.5, 2.6, III series or 20s, and you done good.

But this ∞ has 24 models and sub models with more sub models not on the list. I can't even fathom what kind of list would be generated with the JBL line, but i know I can just talk to BMWCCA and get a strong recommendation for a dozen models.

So many speakers so little time.

Ah, fair enough.

My RS-IIs won the spot from a pair of JBL 4412s (and Klipsch Forte IIs) so it's fun to compare and listen/learn. Well of course it's fun to compare/listen/learn, that's why we're all here anyway.

And what infinities are those. Remember I don't know the line and the goal of the thread is to educate the ignorant.
No doubt as Johnny says it's about having fun.
I agree that a list of good speakers from a renown manufacturer can get quite full.
I think "compared to what" can only give a realistic determination of what's "good".
Personal opinions will abound but at least we'll know what someone thinks is gooder, comparatively speaking:beerchug:.
Also avoid potential "sideways moves".
Oh yes,
Crescendo 3008
Kappa 8.1
Monitor IIa

What's good. Well that has to encompass a number of things, current speakers for comparison, cost of the speakers today, repairability or availability of spare parts. Don't want something that can't take it. I avoid Advents for that reason, I recall too many tweeter changes back then but I recommend them completely, especially stacked. But that is getting expensive now and some of the better ∞ have to be better than stacked Advents.

So much to consider, even for those looking for a 'starter rig'.

Haha, no I didn't catch that. Nice!

The one who hears the most speakers wins, right??

Most Really good speakers. I don't want to hear CV or ∞SM and a number of Japanese speakers but that is because I don't know but a few and wasn't impressed. When one gets good speakers, something that usually wasn't part of one of the stereo store systems set up at price points under 1500 bucks, they they all start so sound good and have family sound with differences for the different companies.

The last and current speakers I own are Infinity RS II. They replaced ADS 810's, AR 3's, AR2's . KLH 6's. The RS II have been in my system since 1981 when I bought them new, I have listened to few speaker systems since then including Vandersteins 3 and some more modern vintage. Nothing has come close to the RSII's/ I no longer look. The only bad thing in my various trades was I did not get enough for my AR 3A's. They are very collectible. But I bought them for 50 % off. sound salesman discount directly from AR in Cambridge ,Ma, when I worked during law school for the original radio shack in Boston. so no great financial loss..

Interesting, RSII better than the vandersteen 3. I had the 2ce for a time and really liked them with a vandy sub. Could not find the 3 at a price I could afford but always wanted to try them. I most pull the RSII back into rotation. My brother had them for a few years until they developed a problem and gave them back to me. I fixed them but never placed them in a system.
Jim

I would also add that what is "good" also depends greatly on your intended use. Most of the top models listed are rather large and best in sizable rooms. They would not be a good match for small rooms. A Kappa 5 or 6, or Crescendo 3006 would be better for smaller rooms rather than a massive speaker, that needs a lot of power to sound good and pumps out lots of bass in close quarters.

A few months back, I bought some Infinitesimal .2's, which I had reworked by an expert using top quality German parts. I put these beautiful little speakers in my den and they sound absolutely fantastic in that little room. I would add the Infinitesimals .1 and .2 to that list. I have listened to the 1990's versions and while good; they are not as good as the earlier models.

I would also add that what is "good" also depends greatly on your intended use. Most of the top models listed are rather large and best in sizable rooms. They would not be a good match for small rooms. A Kappa 5 or 6, or Crescendo 3006 would be better for smaller rooms rather than a massive speaker, that needs a lot of power to sound good and pumps out lots of bass in close quarters.

A few months back, I bought some Infinitesimal .2's, which I had reworked by an expert using top quality German parts. I put these beautiful little speakers in my den and they sound absolutely fantastic in that little room. I would add the Infinitesimals .1 and .2 to that list. I have listened to the 1990's versions and while good; they are not as good as the earlier models.
+1
There's no point in having Betas and all the bitchin equipment in too small or inappropriate a room.
Most if not all the best Infinitys need to be out in the room, off the front wall by 3+ feet.

Manufactures like OHM used to recommend room size for their speakers.

Has any one ever heard the Kappa 9.2s. Were those a strictly a overseas model. Most of the ones I see on the bay are overseas for sale. They want quite a bit for them still also.

It's my understanding the the only difference between the Kappa x.1 and x.2 is the position of the port (front vs. rear). And yes, I'm almost certain they were never sold in the North American market.

I have heard the Kappa 8.2's. I used to know a guy back in the late 90's that had a pair. He purchased them while stationed in Europe. I actually liked them a bit better than the .1's. The sound was pretty similar between the models, but I prefer the port hole in the back. I sometimes stuff port holes with polyfill or other materials, depending on how I am using the speakers. Stuffed ports in the front of a speaker, don't look so nice, and I tend to like the bass reflected off the back wall better for movie soundtracks and dynamic music, but that is my personal taste. For large wide open rooms, I tend to leave the ports open; but for medium to smaller sized rooms, also taking the type of speaker into account, I usually stuff the port.

Back
Top Bottom