What are the good ∞ speaker models?

IMG_3655.JPG IMG_2849.JPG I have a pair of RS 2.5`s that are set up in a 15x15x9 room, they sound great. I also have a set of 4 RS 1.5`s that are set up in loft in my barn. Much, much more space in the loft. I have these hooked up to a SAE 2401 amp, a refreshed P101, a refreshed E101 and believe it or not, a first gen PS1. Just awesome! I was listening the other night and it sounded like a live act in the loft.View attachment 954807

View attachment 954806 View attachment 954809 I have a pair of RS 2.5`s that are set up in a 15x15x9 room, they sound great. I also have a set of 4 RS 1.5`s that are set up in loft in my barn. Much, much more space in the loft. I have these hooked up to a SAE 2401 amp, a refreshed P101, a refreshed E101 and believe it or not, a first gen PS1. Just awesome! I was listening the other night and it sounded like a live act in the loft.View attachment 954807

Oh, yes...

May even give up my RSII's for those 2.5 bad boys.

without digging through all the threads in this forum, is there a way to find a list of the best of ∞, the worst and the stuff in the middle?

Sure would be nice if there was a discussion of Infinity speakers over the many generations with discussions of the pluses and minuses. I have only owned a parts pair of SM-122 or some such model. I know it was in the sadist and masochist line and since the woofers needing foam were removed from the speakers and stacked on each other destroying the cone these were parted out.

I know there are great Infinity speakers and a bunch of good units as well as junk, but I have no idea of what models or even generations that are good to great.

Maybe some of you can list the great speakers and the really good ones. Looking for ones that folks should hunt for to replace top of the line ADS, Dahlquist and other well regarded speakers. I already know the IRS is worthwhile but probably too expensive as are others but it would be nice to be able to know which group to put them in. Go get them, they are great, worthwhile or not worth the time. Maybe even broken down a bit further into large, bookshelf and small.

I'll be watching and maybe end up with a nice pair of speakers to enjoy.
Asking this is kind of like asking to give your opinion on beautiful women. Seriously: Since I like older speakers, I did a google check on the greatest speakers of all time. Gave me a very good starting point. One other thing to consider is a design that has stood the test of time. IE, Klipsch, and the old Snells (now improved by Audio Note). Any design that can last 40+ years has to be good.

View attachment 954806 View attachment 954809 I have a pair of RS 2.5`s that are set up in a 15x15x9 room, they sound great. I also have a set of 4 RS 1.5`s that are set up in loft in my barn. Much, much more space in the loft. I have these hooked up to a SAE 2401 amp, a refreshed P101, a refreshed E101 and believe it or not, a first gen PS1. Just awesome! I was listening the other night and it sounded like a live act in the loft.View attachment 954807
Nice speakers.
But I love that barn!
Way cool.

Nice speakers.
But I love that barn!
Way cool.
The Barn reminds me of Stereo Barn back in the '70's. Hi fi store (still in business but no Barn) where they had McIntosh amps mounted face up flush in the floor. Very cool store and still a Mac dealer (no affiliation).

The Barn reminds me of Stereo Barn back in the '70's. Hi fi store (still in business but no Barn) where they had McIntosh amps mounted face up flush in the floor. Very cool store and still a Mac dealer (no affiliation).

Sounds like cool place. Googled it looking for pictures of the old/original store but came up with nothing.

I have a barn 150 foot from my house, but I wouldn't put a pair of Panasonic Thrusters in there much less speakers like thermoluddys has.
But then I can see the outside between the planks in my barn.

IMG_0827.JPG IMG_0522.JPG Thanks goodolpg. I have spent many hours working on this over a 100 yr old barn and I love it! There were some real craftsman back in those days. I can crank up those old Infinity's and hear what they can do.
A few more pics

May not be be a good idea.
Sideways move at best, YMMV, imo.

Both very good.
I'd probably keep the more refined RS II's.

Thanks for the words, they probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I was actually thinking about the RS 4.5's when the 2.5's showed up in th ephotos.

I have RS II's, not RS IIa/b. Some folks love them, other prefer the a/b with the EMIMs.

I've not personally heard any speakers loaded with EMIMs, but I'm extremely happy with what the RS II's can do with the open back cone mids and rear-firing tweeter. Mine even still have the original foam behind the mid-range drivers. They do need a little space from the walls to work.

RS II
RS IIIa
RS 5b
Kappa 7.1 arriving next week...

I'm kind of hooked on the classic Infinity sound.

Referring to changing out RS-IIs for RS 2.5's.....

May not be be a good idea.
Sideways move at best, YMMV, imo.

When I got the Graz diaphragms, I did a little experiment. I built a baffle upon which I could compare 4 different drivers. It was not a technical comparison, just sound quality only (resolution, clarity, etc.). Three were Infinity drivers- the 5" midrange from the RS-II (and others), a standard EMIM, and a Graz EMIM. Listening using a low power signal, those three drivers ranked just like that from what my ears told me: poly cone, orig. EMIM, Graz EMIM. Again, there was nothing scientific about this, and it obviously says nothing about the performance of the 'final product', the system as a whole. But, it was rather enlightening to listen to all three under the same conditions, one right after the other.
G~

RS-II have drivers that are easily available if replacements are required. EMIM in upgraded speakers are hard to find and expensive if your can find them.One reason I have not "upgraded" the other reason I have not, is because the RS II are wonderful speakers , the classic Infinity sound,

Let me just say something here. As a current owner of RSII, RSIIb, RS2.5 the emims are on eBay all the time (7 of them right now) and not that expensive for speakers of this quality. Far easier to find a good Emim than a kappa or quantum midrange. I think I already said which I like best, any Aker in the south east pa tri state area is welcome to come and hear all three for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom