What are the top three multi disk CD players from Yamaha

Models such as the CDC-805, later replaced with the 815 and then 835 if I am not mistaken, proved quite reliable when I was selling them. Since then they seemed to have stood up well, the biggest issue will probably be a drawer belt that needs changing which is a cheap and easy fix.

I have a CDC-805 which I believe was the top or near the top of the line in its day, an old review I just pulled up said MSRP in 1990 was $500. The drawer open/shut is a little rickety but I'm pretty sure that's because I've got a doubled-over skinny rubber band turning it instead of the proper replacement belt. And it's hit-or-miss with scratched or smudged discs - sometimes it'll play a particular disc all the way through with no problems, other times that exact same disc will skip all over the place. I'm guessing the lens is weak and/or needs to be cleaned.

But otherwise, it sounds really nice - significantly better than the much-praised Denon 2800 that's been in my home theater system for a long time and better than the Rotel single-disc I have from around the same year. It has a headphone output and dedicated volume control, it also has some digital EQ settings - rock, jazz, classical, etc.that come in very handy. I can listen straight off the headphone output at night and it pushes my Sennheiser PX-100s pretty well - at least as good as my Sandisk Clip+ portable player which is reputed to have a pretty good headphone amp. Remote does everything except power on/off.

Models such as the CDC-805, later replaced with the 815 and then 835 if I am not mistaken, proved quite reliable when I was selling them. Since then they seemed to have stood up well, the biggest issue will probably be a drawer belt that needs changing which is a cheap and easy fix.
Which do you like for best sound reproduction (with an M2/C4 rig)?

Which do you like for best sound reproduction (with an M2/C4 rig)?

I never compared all of the iterations but generally speaking a lot of the updates between those ones which were pretty close together in the timeline were just features or sometimes nothing at all, just changing the CDP numbers to keep up with the AVR and amp "updates".

I never compared all of the iterations but generally speaking a lot of the updates between those ones which were pretty close together in the timeline were just features or sometimes nothing at all, just changing the CDP numbers to keep up with the AVR and amp "updates".

Is this group of CD players the best Yamaha ever produced? If, not what are the two or three best ever? Thanks!

Yamaha CDC-645. Don't know where it ranks in their line-up of best Player but I have three of them since new and they all still work like new although I'm down to one Remote for all three it's still all good:)

Way late to the party, but I think the CDC-845 was at or near TOTL. Pro-Bit DAC, very nice sound for a single bit DAC. Mine won't be going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom