What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Wow, 250 I one month! Awesome! :thumbsup:

I forget who mentioned it here, but they said GW is taking anything of value (HiFi) and selling it on Ebay. :( There are other GW's in Wichita and independent thrift stores that I'll eventually checkout.

Yuppers! :thumbsup:

Yeah, there are some around the state here that lists their good stuff on the GW website. I always see some really good stuff from Oregon and Washington state on the GW shopping website.

I don't have a "Walkman" but I do have a 1983 "Rockman". These were the guitarists version LOL. They literally sound like crap if you try to go into a guitar amp with it. It is made for the headphones, private practicing. It was a breakthrough as guitarists could practice for hours late @ night without bothering people and have a killer tone while at it. They sound good if going straight to a board, mic input of tape deck, just NOT a guitar amp. Strange, but that is how they rolled with that technology. By the way, this one is restored throughout, so should be good for another 35 years of practice LOL

View attachment 1233368
Tom's gadget! Cool!

Watch this:

Now playing this:

Tonight's Spin is an Audiokarma recording project spin. It is the recommendation from Kevin JS.............. I am digging it while it is recording.................. I love recording............ I am only familiar with the edited single version. This is an ear opener as to what was really going on with this instrumental.

Tubular Bells.PNG

I don't have a "Walkman" but I do have a 1983 "Rockman". These were the guitarists version LOL. They literally sound like crap if you try to go into a guitar amp with it. It is made for the headphones, private practicing. It was a breakthrough as guitarists could practice for hours late @ night without bothering people and have a killer tone while at it. They sound good if going straight to a board, mic input of tape deck, just NOT a guitar amp. Strange, but that is how they rolled with that technology. By the way, this one is restored throughout, so should be good for another 35 years of practice LOL

View attachment 1233368

Cool! :thumbsup: Never seen or knew about them. We learn something everyday at our "AK University". :D:thumbsup:

I work at Home Depot and there's music playing all the time.
For the first two months, they played what sounded like music from the past two years... Sia, Gwen Stefani, Idina Menzel, et.
Someone switched the feed and now it's 60's and 70's stuff. Looking Glass, Three Dog Night, Stones, Bowie, Donna Summer... it's fun to look at some of the young kids seemingly getting into the old stuff and they just panic and turn white as a sheet when I mention that most of the songs are older than they are.:rflmao:

Cool! :thumbsup: Never seen or knew about them. We learn something everyday at our "AK University". :D:thumbsup:
Glad to turn people on to things that were cool. I guess, with that said, I should have posted a pic of it's better side LOL .................... Ya, it was made to give a guitarist that Tom Scholz sound. However, one still needs Tom's fingers and brains to really sound like him. But it is a start!..............it is a lot of fun and, some say, the first prototype of an "amp emulator" that would come later with Line 6's etc. However, this baby is pure analog, nothing digital in this box. Pure as molasses..................

rockman.JPG

I was going to say Wisconsin, "Land O' Cheese Curds", you threw me with Oregon / Washington :)

Oh yeah, can't forget those delicious cheese curds! :thumbsup: Now I'm hungry for some! :D

Oregon/Washington are the states with some excellent audio donations! Whenever I'm on shopgoodwill.com and see something nice (audio or albums) I can count on those items from those two states. :D

Glad to turn people on to things that were cool. I guess, with that said, I should have posted a pic of it's better side LOL .................... Ya, it was made to give a guitarist that Tom Scholz sound. However, one still needs Tom's fingers and brains to really sound like him. But it is a start!..............it is a lot of fun and, some say, the first prototype of an "amp emulator" that would come later with Line 6's etc. However, this baby is pure analog, nothing digital in this box. Pure as molasses..................

View attachment 1233383

Do you remember how much that would have cost back in the day?

Tonight's Spin is an Audiokarma recording project spin. It is the recommendation from Kevin JS.............. I am digging it while it is recording.................. I love recording............ I am only familiar with the edited single version. This is an ear opener as to what was really going on with this instrumental.

View attachment 1233372

I'll give you a bit of background on that recording. Long time members know I love trivia and never miss an opportunity to pass on useless information.

Mike Oldfield comes from a musical family. His sister, Sally, is well known on this thread with her album "Water Bearer", her first and best known recording. He also has a brother, Terry, who has quite a discography of his own.

Mike went round just about every label in the UK, trying to find someone to release Tubular Bells. No-one would touch it. He eventually found a guy who told him that he was about to start a record label, and that he was interested. That was Richard Branson, and Tubular Bells became VS2001, the first album issued by Virgin Records.

The caveman section, on the second part, was Mike's drunken response to suggestions that the album should have some lyrics. Mike Oldfield's discography is huge, and includes film scores (Killing Fields, Songs Of Distant Earth), a vast array of instrumental numbers and some with guest vocalists (check out Islands).

Part of Tubular Bells was borrowed for The Exorcist, but this was done without Oldfield's prior knowledge. The Master of Ceremonies, who introduces the instruments as Oldfield plays them was Viv Stanshall, of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, who later died in a house fire. The remix of Tubular Bells featured John Cleese taking Stanshall's part. An orchestral version is available, arranged and conducted by David Bedford.

After his first few albums, his recordings garnered less and less interest, until his release of Tubular Bells 2, which was hugely popular, and included a bagpipe section. The first public performance took place at Edinburgh Castle. Tubular Bells 3 premiered at Horseguards Parade, in London.

That's about all I can remember right now.

Do you remember how much that would have cost back in the day?
The "list" price in 1983 was $349.95. That is for this X100 which was like the 3rd generation and had, supposedly, the best of the boards of all the generations.
Ace_PCB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom