What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

VanMorrisonMoondance.jpg

:) Overseas is such a good album but the version I was listening too has a ton of additional takes. Switched over to Oscar Peterson and Lester Young. Will have to pull out Today and Now and give it a spin today. Did I post the Earl May -Barry Harris-Eddie Locke album last night?;)(on you tube)
s-l400.jpg

I didn't see it if you did post it, Lee. I have that CD. Barry, as I remember it, plays on one or two of the tunes, while pianist Larry Ham is on most of it. Larry btw, used to go Barry's workshops. There's a tune on the CD called "Wishes Are Starting To Don't Come True", which Eddie wrote. He showed me the original lead sheet, which I think I have a copy of. He said that one day the very young son of someone he knew said that to him, and he composed the tune.

Regarding Tommy Flanagan, the things he did with Coleman Hawkins are so beautiful, especially that "Today And Now" album, as I believe you and I have discussed before. But there are so many others. Really, most of the Tommy I have is as a sideman. I have him with Miles, Milt Jackson, and Jo Jones, amongst others. I have a Moodsville LP under his own name that he recorded in the early 60s which is really nice. Tommy was such a melodic player, and Coleman Hawkins' favorite. You mentioned Oscar and Lester. I think you are talking about that Verve LP they played on together? I love that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom