What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

big j.PNG
Big Jay McNeely passed away Sept 16 at the age of 91.
http://www.jazzwax.com/2018/09/big-jay-mcneely-1927-2018.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=FeedBlitzRss&utm_content=Big+Jay+McNeely+(1927-2018)
6a00e008dca1f08834022ad3b18384200b-500wi

Last edited:
You never know. I used to toe my speakers in because I thought that's the way they were supposed to be.
Then I read a blurb on an Infinity thread that said to run them near straight forward, did that and the whole soundstage and presence opened up.
For years I ran them toe-in simply because "that's the way we've always done it". Silly me.
Then I took a chance on a good deal of those old 4 piece JBL wood tilt racks to restore and set the speakers on top and they got even better.
Then I absconded with a few milk crates from the trash area at work and set things on top of them and it got even better.
Never know how things are going to work out until you experiment I figure..
Right, I agree. Rooms, furnishings, listening and gear locations, a ton of variables just with the speakers themselves...you have to experiment.

Considering seeking out this soundtrack for Vincent Price's 1968 horror classic, Witchfinder General.
https://amazingstories.com/2013/11/witchfinder-general-soundtrack/

Let us know if you find that. It sounds excellent from the description, especially for a budget flick.

Quoted from your link:

"It’s refreshing to hear a full, high-budget orchestral soundtrack. Film scores have fallen out of favor, with directors either choosing popular music, or composers working almost entirely electronically, since the late ’70s. It’s just cheaper and easier."

@dswann01 ....great talking with you...looking forward to progress on the AR’s! :lurk:

Same here @swamppirate. Thanks for the advice so far on the AR’s. :beerchug:

Here is photo of the AR-510’s that I picked up this morning, set up in my system along with one of my Audioanalyst speakers for comparison. I only got to listen to the AR’s for a few minutes before having to get to other chores, but first impression is good. Good low end and midrange, but may be a tad bright (which may just be due to my small room and close listening position). I’ll do some good listening tomorrow and compare to the Audioanalysts.

13996BAD-1C1C-4B4D-A29E-EFBB47CD579A.jpeg

Let us know if you find that. It sounds excellent from the description, especially for a budget flick.
Quoted from your link:
"It’s refreshing to hear a full, high-budget orchestral soundtrack. Film scores have fallen out of favor, with directors either choosing popular music, or composers working almost entirely electronically, since the late ’70s. It’s just cheaper and easier."
Yes, just found the CD on Amazon for $12.41. It's going on the Wishlist.
Listening via youtube to the score, It's quite epic. I could just rip it at this point, but it looks to be a very nice package that they put together.
It would make a nice complement to my Witchfinder General collection if I could find it on vinyl..
>>old pic alert<<
018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom