What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Jackson Browne - The Pretender
index.php

I've seen them live several times. They are from here, then physically went their separate ways but still record and tour together. Ivan is a fricken BEAST and they always put on a great show. The newest one is solid, but their album Carpe Noctum is their high point in my opinion, though is a bit more traditional surf. If you get a chance to see them live, DO IT. They have an energy that is not present on their recordings.

For something even further out there, The Madeira's rhythm guitarist's other band is Destination Earth and he is their lead guitarist and singer. They are somewhat of a funky, punky, surf rock thing.
Destination Earth...I'll look into them.
Ivan is indeed a beast. He was formerly based in D.C., right under my nose and I didn't even know. He left D.C. for Indiana to become a Professor of Economics at some school out there. His D.C. area band, The Space Cossacks was every bit as good as The Madeira.
A live album was recently released of a 1996 Space Cossacks show. I need to acquire this.
https://thespacecossacks.bandcamp.com/
0008605033_10.jpg

(not my pic, I'd bet this is something Ivan shot. He's clearly one of us)

>>>>Count Basie Trio...<<<<

I was trying to figure-out who the fuzzy/unfocused Caucasian drummer was, just by staring and guessing (I suppose I could have watched the clip, but I was looking for a challenge). I thought-- "Shelly Manne?" "Hal Blaine? That would be weird... Jake Hannah?" Looked it up and it's Louis Bellson; makes perfect sense.

Now Playing-- Nothing new if you've been paying attention to my posts; Airto, Zaire 74, Marley... Last day of school for a few weeks before summer school. No kids today, so I'm pretty much blasting tunes with impunity. I should be picking-up some more good deals today, if I get to slide on down to the Record Theatre closing sale this afternoon (I was a little too late last night). Should report from another listening session this evening...

GJ

I don't think Jack Hanna was a drummer ???? LOL

d9ruuyuoxjj7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom