What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I have a rather large mole that appeared on my face in my late 40's. I've hated the damn thing. In a little over a week it went all to hell. I went to my GP on Monday and he confirmed what I and the wife thought. It had turned cancerous. It had changed shape and color in a matter of a few days. I have an appt with a plastic surgeon tomorrow at 3:15 for a consultation. So he can tell me to come back again next week to have it removed. LOL What a racket.

Fun fun fun
Positive energy flowing your way P-Man. Hope all goes well.

Just realized that this is a forum, where one can get information and opinions rather than an old boys' club where we chat about what we are listening to, so I'll take advantage of the expertise here and ask which of these acts are worth lending an ear to:

LFO, NSync, Aaliyah, Sky (not the Williams/Peek/Fry classical group) Janet Jackson, Kelly Clarkson, Natalie Imbuglia, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Five, Backstreet Boys, Willa Ford, Pink, Venga Boys, Amanda Marshall, Ace Of Base, Mandy Moore, Nick Carter, Nelly Furtado, Brandy, Monica, Macy Grey, Jennifer Lopez, Velvet, Mya, Ashley Simpson, Gypsy, Kelly Clarkson, Destiny's Child, 98, Spice Girls, Ricky Martin, Stephanie Badgley, Nick Lachey, Linda Eder.

I'd add Usher to the list, but he will never be forgiven for unleashing Bieber, so his CD is in the "For Sale or chuck it in the bin" pile, whether he has any talent or not.

To me, it's very strange that people who are into rock don't automatically gravitate to some of the classics. They seem to go hand in hand together. Then again, my grounding was in classical, from which I spread out. I don't think a lack of love for the classics is a bad thing. There are plenty of other genres to enjoy.

Appreciation of any music almost always assumes some context and normally it's part of a continuum of some kind. I understand why it's difficult to *get* music that isn't related to your cultural legacy. The stuff that knocked me out when I was young often did so relative to what had come *just* before, something they built upon or tore down, or both. Brahms, e.g., is probably more likely to click for someone if they were born 120 years ago *and* into a fairly privileged situation. Short of that, you might have to find some frame of reference on your own. It helps a little if you are a musician and you understand what a particular composer was up to; how they were pushing the envelope and killing their idols. I think that goes for jazz too, though it's a little more accessible since it's sometimes more visceral and more closely associated with, or even equal to, pop forms.

Prog might serve as a gateway drug. But speaking for myself, I find I have a hard time with a lot of art music until I technically understand what a composer was trying to pull off, especially the more modern stuff.

I have a rather large mole that appeared on my face in my late 40's. I've hated the damn thing. In a little over a week it went all to hell. I went to my GP on Monday and he confirmed what I and the wife thought. It had turned cancerous. It had changed shape and color in a matter of a few days. I have an appt with a plastic surgeon tomorrow at 3:15 for a consultation. So he can tell me to come back again next week to have it removed. LOL What a racket.

Fun fun fun
Prayers started now, Bill. Keep us informed.

Sheez. Miss a few days and I'm 20 pages behind. :confused: Had to skip most of that.

well was listening to Big Sugar
they do a bunch of reggae influence to some of their stuff
the right drums,bass, and some big reverb

and it is the 40 anniversary of Elvis passing

so here we are

reggae zepplin songs by elvis :D

View attachment 987003

just for fun and ease
not their best cut but i like how they squeeze in dueling banjo's :D

Can't play my vinyl right now, but here is my copy. I'm listening to a CD rip of this one.

Dread Zeppelin - Un-Led-Ed
IRS Records - 1990

Autographed by Carl Jah (Haasis), lead guitar player.

index.php

Fun fun fun

Sending prayers, good thoughts, karma...hell, I'll send hugs and kisses if it will help.

Thinking about you pumpkinman. Keep the faith.

Well, Wife out of town until Sunday, So tune's galore, As loud as I want. Early weekend start. Having trouble keeping this one off the turntable. Probably highest energy LP in the Tull catalog
View attachment 987577

And one of my favorite Tull albums - It really jumped at me back in the 80s, and is still in regular rotation here, along with a bunch of other Tull stuff...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom