What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

This one is for @Crazy Gnome

vl5348dymauj.jpg

Gypsy • S/T
This copy is on Metromedia Records. IIRC it was reissued on another label
Funny thing is i almost mentioned in the post you probably had it. :rflmao:

Agreed Sir. There is a thread about Amp power going, And strings really show what headroom can do. That bow coming down on the string, In the middle of all that Music. A 10 watt amp just can't catch that IMO

I agree, and too be able to duplicate the power and delicacy of a Cello is amazing to listen to.
Regards,
Jim

Agreed Sir. There is a thread about Amp power going, And strings really show what headroom can do. That bow coming down on the string, In the middle of all that Music. A 10 watt amp just can't catch that IMO
I will have to disagree in a most respectful way with that concept. Many factors are involved, mostly it's the capabilities of the speakers. I have a friend that has some terrific speakers (sensitivity over 100) that are mated to a 4 & 1/2 watt single ended tube amp and the combination is stunning. The amp cruises along at well under 1/4 watt for normal listening levels and pegs out at something like 107-108 db. I've heard all kinds of music playing back at high levels including cello, violin, piano, harp, harpsicord etc all of which induce strain on an amplifier. I have heard YoYo Ma playing his cello, sounding like he was right there in the room. I especially enjoyed a live recording of Sara Bareilles singing "Sitting On A Dock In The Bay" and feeling the energy of the piano in the space. If you've never experienced it then you probably wouldn't believe it. He played a live version of Yes's "I've Seen All Good People" and it was mindblowingly as real as seeing them in concert (which I have.) I have a 12 watt PP tube amp that can easily get my Klipsch Forte speakers up to "Eviction Notice" levels without breaking a sweat, so yes I can certainly see a 10 watt tube amplifier catching that bow hitting the cello strings and kicking it out in all it's magnificent glory. :)

I will have to disagree in a most respectful way with that concept. Many factors are involved, mostly it's the capabilities of the speakers. I have a friend that has some terrific speakers (sensitivity over 100) that are mated to a 4 & 1/2 watt single ended tube amp and the combination is stunning. The amp cruises along at well under 1/4 watt for normal listening levels and pegs out at something like 107-108 db. I've heard all kinds of music playing back at high levels including cello, violin, piano, harp, harpsicord etc all of which induce strain on an amplifier. I have heard YoYo Ma playing his cello, sounding like he was right there in the room. I especially enjoyed a live recording of Sara Bareilles singing "Sitting On A Dock In The Bay" and feeling the energy of the piano in the space. If you've never experienced it then you probably wouldn't believe it. He played a live version of Yes's "I've Seen All Good People" and it was mindblowingly as real as seeing them in concert (which I have.) I have a 12 watt PP tube amp that can easily get my Klipsch Forte speakers up to "Eviction Notice" levels without breaking a sweat, so yes I can certainly see a 10 watt tube amplifier catching that bow hitting the cello strings and kicking it out in all it's magnificent glory. :)

While I have a hard time relating to tube power ratings, one thing I have leaned through the years is the benefit of reserve power, at least in SS amps.Really helps with dynamics and even extension in the highs. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 100. It wasn't until I went to 200wpc that those puppies really woke up!

While I have a hard time relating to tube power ratings, one thing I have leaned through the years is the benefit of reserve power, at least in SS amps.Really helps with dynamics and even extension in the highs. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 100. It wasn't until I went to 200wpc that those puppies really woke up!
Different strokes for different folks. :)

Take the Cerwin Vega D9 for example, despite an efficiency rating of 100+, 10 watts ain't gonna do much of anything to get them moving.

It's funny that the conversation today was about sappy ballads. Jut this past Tuesday I picked up The Best Of Bread at Walmart.
David Gates was the King of sappy ballads, but he was really good at it.
007.jpg

And for that matter my man Greg Lake was simply a balladeer at heart. It drove Emerson nuts that he poured so much effort into his epic pieces but the only thing the band was known for to the mass market was Lucky Man, Still...You Turn Me On and From The Beginning.
standup.jpg

When it comes to sappy ballads, Paul McCartney is no slouch.

Back
Top Bottom