What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Some carts I have known.

My favorite cart now is the Audio Technica AT440MLa that I bought new couple years ago. It's since been upgraded to AT440MLB. The more knowledgeable TT guys recommended it. I had a NOS Audio Technica AT15Sa (Shibata) cart and like it so I went with the AT. I'm really pleased with the AT440MLa. It replaced a Shure N97E.

The difference between the two AT carts, aside 40 years, is that the newer AT440MLa is very quiet. I hear a lot less surface noise, pops and clicks. I feel like I'm imagining this, but before I spent a lot of time washing records, something I haven't done since the new cart. The AT15Sa is no slouch, either and sounds great, but it's a bit noisy. Both are very detailed. Shimmering highs, luscious female vocals, a strong bass and awesome soundstage.

The Stanton 681EE has been around for awhile and sounds excellent with the low mass tonearm of the Infinity Black Widow.

I put a new Shure M97xE on a Marantz 6300, because it was inexpensive and a lot of the guys were raving about it. It sounded blah, so I sold it and the TT. Dumb move. Should've tried different carts.

The Ortofon, I think was the OM 5E. It sounded pretty darn good. If I still had that, I probably wouldn't gotten the Audio Technica AT440MLa.

10+ years ago I auditioned a Benz Micro Reference 2 Silver MC ($2000+) with my Sansui AU-D11/SR-838 set up. I listened hard and couldn't tell a difference between it and an old, original Sansui cart that came with the TT. Maybe it was my gear, maybe my ears...

This is just my impression on the carts. The speakers, amps and everything in between makes a difference too. I hope you find the synergy to enjoy your music fully.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
I picked this up to satisfy my curiosity. I've heard lots of chatter about it over the years. So far I
find it interesting but not really in my wheelhouse, perhaps I'll play it a few times and see if it sticks.
View attachment 1091469

I just picked it up on LP this past weekend. I loved it immediately. I think it is very cool.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
I picked this up to satisfy my curiosity. I've heard lots of chatter about it over the years. So far I
find it interesting but not really in my wheelhouse, perhaps I'll play it a few times and see if it sticks.
View attachment 1091469
daft punk wow
i put it on and think this is really good ... then i think hope nobody comes by when i have this cranked

Back
Top Bottom