What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Crosby and Nash -- Wind On The Water --

81nAU-qwpqL._SX522_.jpg

A friend of mine, who is a composer in his own right, calls Delius the "Most English composer".

Now playing:

Delius - A Mass Of Life (Angel SB-3781)

Groves/London Philharmonic

Recording appears to be around 1970 and as far as noise goes, I could be listening to a CD. The vinyl is in mint condition, as is the sleeve and the album even has the original lyrics insert.

Great piece. Thanks for posting that, Frank.
Pleasures all mine, Kev. It's on my ELP Career Retrospective posted earlier. something I found on youtube, recorded in 1980 for Italian television. Look at that video again and see how happy Keith was with the performance. He looked like he was going to burst with joy. This is just after ELP's first breakup when Keith was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.
Such a waste for him to blow his brains out without fully exploring his composition skills, but the man was all about performing, and when he couldn't perform anymore he took his life...tragically sad.

Pleasures all mine, Kev. It's on my ELP Career Retrospective posted earlier. something I found on youtube, recorded in 1980 for Italian television. Look at that video again and see how happy Keith was with the performance. He looked like he was going to burst with joy. This is just after ELP's first breakup when Keith was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.
Such a waste for him to blow his brains out without fully exploring his composition skills, but the man was all about performing, and when he couldn't perform anymore he took his life...tragically sad.

Yes. For him, it was all or nothing. What he did was tragic, but on one level I can understand what must have been going through his mind during those last months.

Yes. For him, it was all or nothing. What he did was tragic, but on one level I can understand what must have been going through his mind during those last months.
I can understand as well Kevin. The man liked to perform, he liked to drink, and he liked guns. The man was used to living fast, and when his body couldn't keep pace with his mind he checked out in his own way...and then there's Greg Lake's death for me to contend with.

Since I mentioned my composer friend, I'm going to introduce the group to his work.

This piece of music, called Funeral, is a Fantasia on Chopin's famous Funeral March. You may recognize this quicker than I did.

For whatever reason, the music captivated me, and I have spent a lot of time corresponding with the composer. He is an authority on musical history (favourite composer is Sibelius).

He does not play any instruments. His compositions are all done on an aging Windows computer. You cannot buy his music. If he likes you, he will give it to you, so long as you credit him with the composition.

He has composed a vast number of albums. His latest project is based around the four elements; air, water, earth and fire. Don't be fooled. He isn't an alchemist or anything weird.

A while back, he went through the composer's version of writer's block, and after some conversations with me, declared that I had somehow inspired him to begin composing again. He dedicated his album "Alberta" to me, in a way that I found both familiar and touching, using my initials, in much the same way as Elgar did for his special friends in his Enigma variations. His composition "Arctic Circle", from that album, is one of the most pleasant pieces I've ever heard.

Anyway, here is Jason Hancock, from the English Midlands. I hope you enjoy his music as much as I do.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9SFfvM3lWrMoxL08By0o0A

I can understand as well Kevin. The man liked to perform, he liked to drink, and he liked guns. The man was used to living fast, and when his body couldn't keep pace with his mind he checked out in his own way...and then there's Greg Lake's death for me to contend with.

Yes. Coming so close together, along with all of the other damage that 2016 did to the music community, was hard to take. The heroes of my childhood were all but wiped out last year.

Back
Top Bottom