What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

@swamppirate

Those Dayton amps are they Class D amps ?? Is there a money back guarantee of any kind ??
I ask because I bought a Class D amp kit and put one together. I made my own case as well. Amp was not all that good and I sold it for a little less than it cost me. The buyer within a week had it up for sale. There were some who sold their tube amps in favor of these Class D amps ?????
Now that being said I have heard the Cherry Class D amps and they phenomenal but for what they cost they should be.
http://www.cherryamp.com/

Just goes to show how diff we all are.
P-man, thanks for asking. According to this, it is a AB.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dayton_apa150_e.html

I'm sorta burnt out & it's hard keeping up with the speed of this thread so I'm gonna leave for a while. Might lurk and post in the vinyl music and gear threads.

This place is a wonderful community, probably the nicest I have ever seen. Take care everyone.

8xlaxx

I agree. This thread is hard to keep up with, but that's also the beauty of it. It's like a living thing. This is probably the best thread on AK. I come here and I find people with similar musical tastes to my own, I rediscover artists that I've forgotten about, and I discover new music. The people who post on the thread are very welcoming and diverse. What's not to like.

-Dave

Rhapsody in Blue. George Gershwin's masterpiece. Everyone knows it. Many of us probably have multiple versions/recordings of it in our collections. But how many know it was written as a jazz concerto for solo piano and jazz orchestra, and commissioned by band leader Paul Whitman? Written in only a couple of weeks, with a rhythm that came to Gershwin while listening to the sounds of the rails on a train trip from NYC to Boston, it was first performed in February 1924, with George Gershwin at the piano. He had not even written the complete piano part on paper, with one section having only a notation "Wait for nod" identifying that Whiteman would cue him when the orchestra would come in. As a result, some of that first performance was improvised by Gershwin, and the piano part was only completed after the performance. Nobody who wasn't there knows exactly what the original sounded like. Oh yes, that instantly recognizable clarinet glissando that opens the piece - it started as a joke on Gershwin by Whiteman's clarinettist Ross Gorman. Gershwin liked it and asked him to play it that way at the concert and add as much wail as possible. You can't make this stuff up. There is a lot more to this story. Look it up if you're interested, and have bothered to read this far.

This version is performed by the Paul Whiteman Orchestra with Eugene Weed at the piano, and recorded as part of the Paul Whiteman 50th Anniversary reunion, conducted by Mr. Whiteman. Eugene spent hours listening to recordings of the Rhapsody with George Gershwin at the piano to get as much of the original sound as possible. It sounds like no other version I've ever heard, and I like it. The other songs on the album aren't bad either. Check out the list of Whiteman Band alums who play on it.

BTW, if you don't know who Paul Whiteman is, you should. Duke Ellington said of Whiteman "Paul Whiteman was known as the King of Jazz, and no one as yet has come near carrying that title with more certainty and dignity." Considering the source can there be any higher praise.

Paul Whiteman 50th.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom