What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Very nice, I love those Zenith dials from that era. Their logo was iconic. Do you see a model number anywhere isde the cabinet? I've got a book that could clarify the build year and whatnot. Shame to only fire it up for a little while. Those dials lit up so beautifully on the Zenith's.
27fe327e2bf11267c51a45c794d22bfe.jpg
Found the model number: 5J-217

Maybe I'll restore it one day so I can actually have some fun listening to it - or at least enjoy looking at a beautiful glow. As of now, I feel like it's a fire hazard.

Last edited:
This one is one is tied for 1st in my all time favorite albums

Savoy Brown Raw Sienna

(Albert King Truck Load Of Lovin is the other and my most played over the last 40+ years)

Flavor of the day - Marantz 2270 - Thorens TD 240-2 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze - Icon Audio PS1 mk2 - Ohm Walsh 2XO's - Sunfire True Sub mk1

View attachment 935129

Tied for first on your list, eh? That's quite the endorsement. I'll have to check it out. Don't think I've ever heard it. I've been missing out apparently.

BTW it sounds like you have a very specific list, lol. I can't figure my list out. I keep changing my mind every month.

This one is one is tied for 1st in my all time favorite albums

Savoy Brown Raw Sienna

(Albert King Truck Load Of Lovin is the other and my most played over the last 40+ years)

Flavor of the day - Marantz 2270 - Thorens TD 240-2 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze - Icon Audio PS1 mk2 - Ohm Walsh 2XO's - Sunfire True Sub mk1

Tied for first on your list, eh? That's quite the endorsement. I'll have to check it out. Don't think I've ever heard it. I've been missing out apparently.

BTW it sounds like you have a very specific list, lol. I can't figure my list out. I keep changing my mind every month.

All these rate highly on my list of favorites, too. But I don't have a #1, maybe a 100 or so tied for #1.

lookin.jpg raw.jpg stcorner.jpg train.jpg

All these rate highly on my list of favorites, too. But I don't have a #1, maybe a 100 or so tied for #1.

View attachment 935250 View attachment 935251 View attachment 935252 View attachment 935253

Interesting. Well I trust your taste based upon what you've been posting in this thread. Maybe I've just discovered a new band.

I sold some of their records back during my brief stint as a record dealer but never gave them a good listen. I'll stream some stuff while I'm working tomorrow, then maybe wander over to the record store and see what they've got.

Last edited:
Interesting. Well I trust your taste based upon what you've been posting in this thread. Maybe I've just discovered a new band.

I sold some of their records back during my brief stint as a record dealer but never gave them a good listen. I'll stream some stuff while I'm working tomorrow, then maybe wander over to the record store and see what they've got.

They were one of those bands with a good bit of personnel change. Founded by Kim Simmonds in '65. Release an album, not sell big numbers immediately, but gain fans more slowly. Label wants another record, guys had gone other directions, get a couple of 'em back... oversimplification maybe, but that was the gist of it. Peaked 1970-72, when these four records were released. Bluesy rock. Street Corner Talking was my favorite back then (probably because has a couple familiar covers) but now I must have all four shown. The song Hellbound Train from the album so titled seemed to have gotten the most airplay. Tend to grow on you.

Some fans find an earlier album, Blue Matter, to be their best, often mentioning A Step Further as well. Both released in '69.

I find myself usually reaching for Looking In when I'm in a Savoy mood.

Last edited:
They were one of those bands with a good bit of personnel changes.

Yeah, I was just reading the allmusic review for Raw Sienna. Says the lead singer left after that record. But personnel changes don't necessarily break a band. AC/DC is a good example (although certain fans would disagree). The Byrd's best record might be Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Only two original members left at that point, and it's basically a Gram Parsons project...

This is a re-post from a couple of weeks ago and is a very good tip to keep the surround of your speaker drivers in pristine condition and for a lifetime. I'm re-posting this in the event that some of you may have missed my original post and because I see that several people are rebuilding speakers, etc....

My original post on May 12th:
It is now my turn to tell you fine folks about something that I learned from a good buddy,
an older guy, who is a HiFi friend of mine, so, I'm "paying it forward". My friend also owned his own HiFi store, specializing in quality HiFi gear. Unfortunately, the Big Chain stores with all their lower end gear, finally put him about a business :(.

He told me about this tip and I now do this using pure mink oil, as he defined, which you can find on eBay. Make sure it's pure mink oil. Get a soft cloth, like an old cotton t-shirt, cut 4"x 4" square of it and get it reasonably drenched with the mink oil. This tip applies to both foam type and/or butyl rubber type surrounds. Carefully wipe the surrounds of your drivers with the mink oil, making sure you apply it uniformly around the entire surround of your drivers. This should be task performed once a year. This tip will forever keep the surrounds of your drivers in your speakers in pristine condition and make them last forever, well as long as you're alive and never crack or fall apart on you. Good tip.

-Blitz

Van Morrison
A period of Transition
I started this last night and respun again this morning. Came home with the wife yesterday. I am a recent convert to Van's music and have never heard of this album. So of course had to read up on it. Suprised by the reviews. Van took a three year break maybe expectations were too high. Dr. John produced. Initial impression favorable.
20170521_215134.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom