What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Listening to the new Steve Earle and the Dukes - So You Wanna Be An Outlaw via Spoitfy.
CD_38031187-0f84-4b00-9a68-59c1687a6b99_grande.png

2nd time through now and it seems like a hit or miss album. The title track, a duet with Willie Nelson is a bit a train wreck with Willie sounding like he can't keep up with the pace. "The Firebreak Line" sound like classic SE. "News From Colorado" as well. It's interesting that he does a duet with Miranda Lambert as she self admittedly plagiarized Steve's "I Feel Alright" on her breakout hit, "Kerosene".
Overall I'd say this the best thing he's done since 2004's The Revolution Starts Now. That's not saying much because I feel most of his product over the past dozen or so years has been substandard.
I'm no sound engineer by any stretch, but I think the mix on this is, technically speaking...crap. I think it was too much emphasis on sounding old school this time around. Just kind of sounds limp and lifeless...and the duets do nothing for me. The one with Miranda Lambert might grow on me, but Johnny Bush and Wille Nelson sounded very disjointed and awkward..

But I can see this album growing on me with a few more spins. I might actually buy it. Haven't bought anything from Earle since I'll Never Get Out Of The World Alive, which I see from this pic is out of order with Washington Square Serenade.
20170224_210031.jpg

Have yet to,try the EAC, but plan to soon. I am sure it will sound great and I will have To Re-rip all,of my CD's. it's a blessing to have first world problems!
kid you not,,,My $2K Sony Transports which I now have two of are obsolete! That is how much better it sounds! Every CD has flaws. EAC fixes this. I'm not just talking about the built-in Error Correction System that is part of CD - Players do not fix what EAC fixes.

kid you not,,,My $2K Sony Transports which I now have two of are obsolete! That is how much better it sounds! Every CD has flaws. EAC fixes this. I'm not just talking about the built-in Error Correction System that is part of CD - Players do not fix what EAC fixes.
I hear ya. Have honestly given up on my CD player. All CDs are ripped to the computer and playing them through the new Schiit Bifrost multibit is just better sounding and way more convenient. I am sure EAC will take that up a notch.

Listening to the new Steve Earle and the Dukes - So You Wanna Be An Outlaw via Spoitfy.
CD_38031187-0f84-4b00-9a68-59c1687a6b99_grande.png

2nd time through now and it seems like a hit or miss album. The title track, a duet with Willie Nelson is a bit a train wreck with Willie sounding like he can't keep up with the pace. "The Firebreak Line" sound like classic SE. "News From Colorado" as well. It's interesting that he does a duet with Miranda Lambert as she self admittedly plagiarized Steve's "I Feel Alright" on her breakout hit, "Kerosene".
Overall I'd say this the best thing he's done since 2004's The Revolution Starts Now. That's not saying much because I feel most of his product over the past dozen or so years has been substandard.
I'm no sound engineer by any stretch, but I think the mix on this is, technically speaking...crap. I think it was too much emphasis on sounding old school this time around. Just kind of sounds limp and lifeless...and the duets do nothing for me. The one with Miranda Lambert might grow on me, but Johnny Bush and Wille Nelson sounded very disjointed and awkward..

But I can see this album growing on me with a few more spins. I might actually buy it. Haven't bought anything from Earle since I'll Never Get Out Of The World Alive, which I see from this pic is out of order with Washington Square Serenade.
20170224_210031.jpg
I listened to this the other day (streamed via Tidal HiFi). I liked it a lot, but, honestly, I like everything he has ever done. Is it my favorite Steve Earle album? No, that title is still held by his debut album Guitar Town. Bought my vinyl copy new when it was first released and it still reigns supreme! IMHO, of course.

I listened to this the other day (streamed via Tidal HiFi). I liked it a lot, but, honestly, I like everything he has ever done. Is it my favorite Steve Earle album? No, that title is still held by his debut album Guitar Town. Bought my vinyl copy new when it was first released and it still reigns supreme! IMHO, of course.
I can't really name a favorite. He has so many incredible albums. "The Mountain" might be my favorite, but ask me tomorrow and I'll say "Copperhead Road".

Spoitify moved on to last year's "Terraplane" which really isn't bad at all. I think maybe "Washington Square Serenade" soured me pretty badly and I haven't been giving any of the newer material a fair shake.

Back
Top Bottom