What are you Listening To Right Now?

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by daza152, Jan 30, 2010.

1. sjfloat

sjfloat Super Member

Right! The 3D glasses!

2. Delmarva

Delmarva Super Member

Going for another of my favorite New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands. When I bought this it was a shock. First time I ever saw clear vinyl. Until then I thought clear vinyl was something "make believe" for the Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" album cover graphics.

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
    1982 Heavy Metal Records HMR LP 8
    https://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Death-Penalty/release/1937728
    [​IMG]
    These guys were disciples of very early Black Sabbath. It came to be called doom metal eventually. I don't see it as doom. It makes me happy, but I'm kind of dark.

3. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Rock'n And Roll'n Night And Day Subscriber

One of the great covers of all time! Frank, Your taste in music leaves me speechless, And that ain't easy! Sure the music rocks.

4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Listening to one of my cobbled together R2R tapes. Sound is GREAT. Elton John/Nikita right now. I forget what else is on this tape so it will likely yield a few surprises.

Edit:

Enya - Orinoco Flow
    Mike Oldfield - √Čtude...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. NeedForSpeed

If you want to give your woofers a workout, Throw this sucker on. Lars is in attack mode throughout.

6. Delmarva

Delmarva Super Member

Well I thank you Speedy. I consider myself a novice amongst the folks collected here.
    That album cover...I kind of made it blurry intentionally. It's very graphic! You can find pages devoted to it on the internet. The girl as I recall was a British Sun Page 3 model named Joanne, Drop dead gorgeous girl in every way.
    This is the inner sleeve
    [​IMG]
    The band chose their name from a 1968 Vincent Price horror movie, "The Conqueror Worm". Vincent Price is a self proclaimed "Witchfinder General", assigning himself to ridding 17th Centaury England of it's witch population, for a fee of course. I've seen that movie many times, it'll leave your jaw on the floor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchfinder_General_(film)

7. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Wondered whether there might be a tie-up with that movie. A classic.

8. NeedForSpeed

Have seen that flick, Price was the man for the horror stuff. Page 3 model? None finer. Love British babes. Dated one for awhile. That accent was something else. That Diana Rigg vibe. Will check this out. Thanks

9. Delmarva

Delmarva Super Member

A classic indeed Kevin. They completely took their theme and basis from the movie. And then they drew their sound from Black Sabbath's debut album, but with a little punk and prog influence on the side, because thats what the NWOBHM was all about.
    Full debut album video for the curious.

Speedy, you really dated a Page 3 model...you dawg!

10. NeedForSpeed

Definitely hear the Sabbath connection, However, That frontman ain't OZZY. Only played first track. Getting into the rest. I'd give them a spin!

11. Delmarva

Delmarva Super Member

Agreed, Zeebe Parkes was clearly no rival to Ozzy. But let your mind adjust to his vocals and you'll probably find that you like what he's doing. They only released two albums in short succession, so that tells you something about their overall appeal. Their legacy has been long lived though.

sjfloat, Musicfan#51, GSS61 and 4 others like this.
  12. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

13. NeedForSpeed

Van Halen--II
    Orig Release--1979
    Remastered--2015
    Warner Bros/Produced/Ted Templeman
    IMG_0549.JPG

sjfloat, Musicfan#51, kjello and 11 others like this.
  14. MAC TED

MAC TED Addicted Member

My favorite song by him was Vincent (Starry, Starry Night). I'm probably interpreting the song incorrectly, but I always felt that McClean was not a fan of the British Invasion, and that Holly's death allowed the invasion to happen. His dislike for Mick Jagger and also The Beatles, were, imo, quite evident in the song. But there are many ways to interpret American Pie.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  15. nickdinatale

nickdinatale New Member

Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

upload_2017-7-17_1-24-37.png

Musicfan#51, GSS61, Delmarva and 7 others like this.
  16. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

17. NeedForSpeed

Haven't spun this for awhile, Makes me think back to a dude in the same barracks as me, He would hear my stereo, And shove this LP at me. We decided this is when Ed decided he had to also play rhythm guitar. Boy, Does he ever! Even toned down the solo's. No way he could duplicate the first album.

sjfloat, Musicfan#51, GSS61 and 5 others like this.
  18. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Eagles/Hell Freezes Over (cassette)

19. tubed

tubed Lunatic Member

20. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Well-Known Member

Good evening fellow cave dwellers.

Been listening to full albums on youtube this evening. Seeing what new music I might discover and hoping to find some albums that are worthy of being added to my collection. Some of it is stuff I learned about in this thread; some of it is stuff I've been curious about for a while.

Right now I'm listening to The Stranglers, "No More Heroes". I'm about 6 songs in and I'm not sure what to think. I can't tell if this is going to grow on me or not. I'm having a hard time with this particular brand of anger and hostility. I love a good angry/hostile punk band that makes me feel like joining in with the rioting and looting. But this band just feels like they're getting up in my face and trying to start a fist fight with me. Perhaps I'll give it a few more songs and maybe come back to it another day when I'm in a different mood.

[​IMG]

Earlier this evening I checked out the undertones S/T record. It was at least the 3rd or 4th time I've given that one a shot, and I'm still on the fence. 5 or 6 songs in, I'm really stoked and feel like I've found a great new surrogate for the Buzzcocks. But after about 12 or 15 two-minute songs that all sound pretty much the same, and realizing that we're still nowhere near the end of the album, my interest starts to wane. Maybe I'll just have to track down a 7" of Teenage Kicks and call it good. Still torn.

[​IMG]

Up next I'll be checking out the Flamin Groovies late-70s/early-80s stuff to see if there's something good there that I've been missing out on. I've never given much consideration to their later stuff.

sjfloat, Musicfan#51, GSS61 and 8 others like this.