What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Coldplay ~ Parachutes

Coldplayparachutesalbumcover.jpg

Is this the greatest 2 record rock album ever? It's in my top3.

If you wanted a time capsule of what was happening musically in London in 1979, you could use this album on it's own. It's got punk, reggae, rockabilly, ska, New Orleans R&B, pop, lounge jazz, and hard rock according to wikipedia. There's also some Pogue like folk/rock influences too. Only thing it is missing is the emerging electronic synthpop which wasn't considered serious music at the time by the purists.

It is a remarkable album.

Hi John Oz, I would start with their third album, Secret Treaties. It is a strong coherent album that broke them into the charts for the first time. The next two albums, Agents of Fortune and Spectres were their most successful albums. Too get a better perspective on their ability to play live, any of their live albums are great. My favorite is Extraterrestrial Live. So Secret Treaties and/or Extraterrestrial Live is where I would start.

Thanks Rob. I'll give it a try.

Led Zepplin
III
After listening to a couple of Roberts solo albums- i didn't post lullabye and the ceaseless roar- and now this i can hear why Robert turned down a reported 200 million pounds to go on tour and sing the hits. His throat would not be able to handle the way he used to sing. Serious throat shredding. It would be cool if they reworked the old songs to accommodate his new style. Or a new album but highly unlikely at this point
led-zeppelin-iii-nice-cover-album (1).jpg

cover2.jpg
Anyone remember this band? I recall seeing this album when it was first released and thinking "what the hell is this?" I figured it was some experimental noise rock like Chrome (which is not a bad thing but I was not into music like that back then. I now enjoy listening to Chrome). Well, Wounded Bird reissued it as a cd in 2011 and my curiosity got the best of me and I bought a copy. I am pleasantly surprised what a tight melodic hard rock band this is. The first track, Ready Or Not, should have been a hit on the radio. If you like later UFO, BOC, or Night Ranger, then this will appeal to you. Unfortunately the cd is out of print and I see that sellers on Amazon have it priced for $89. :eek: I learned to never judge a band by an album cover alone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom