What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

5eZG9Gd.png

Always thought keyboards covered everything? Lord, Still gets my vote.

Check The Door's " Riders On The Storm"
riders on the storm long keys solo is like paige on guitar, that solo moves me,:rockon: similar to school / super trmp, but super tramp/ deep purple/ had great bass players. we never forget the doors had no bass guitar :yikes:or any attempt to have robby play some sort of hybrid string guitar, to help out the bottom end. The bass foot pedals riffs are constant in the background of the doors songs, and riders on the storm solo, ELP went a step further i think from memory with a bass, and guitar sort of hybrid, but keys still doing the low key runs and key solos together,. He had to do 2 separate things at 1 time . crazy crazy talent, just 1 person playing out bass key riffs and solo key riffs at the same time, with 2 different parts of the body , and not easy songs. these guys also played for the band, to improve the entire band, that is rare today.

It was, kinda sorta, and a mention of Jon Lord started it off.

I'm of the opinion that once you start talking about musicians of the calibre that we discuss, there's not a whole lot to pick between them. Best arranger? Emerson seems like a no-brainer, until you listen to some of the equally brilliant arrangements by, for example, John Williams (of Sky), and others. Then it's no longer a question of who is the best, but who the mood takes you to listen to. That's part of the reason I like to have multiple favourites. Reserving the piano slot for Emerson isn't intended to distract from his obvious expertise on the organ and synthetic keyboards. It's more to allow a bit of space at the top. And as far as synthesizers go, I'll keep that spot for Jean Michel Jarre.

I listen to Pavarotti and Geddy Lee with equal admiration, but no way, no how, would I claim that their voices are in any way comparable. They are masters of their art, and there is little to no crossover, notwithstanding Pavarotti's work with Zucchero. Both have a place, in my opinion

Most of this stuff is entirely subjective, and also open to change, in any case.

OK. Didn't know that. The song "When At Last I Go To Sleep (14 Angels Watch Do Keep) is based on Humperdinck's Hansel and Gretel Overture.

In no way do I wish to impugn any of your opinions, as this is a great topic to share thoughts on.

As an arranger don't leave out George Martin, Ellington and Quincy Jones as ( my opinion, but likely the ledgers will show) their bodies of work have probably compiled a larger audience, vastly more financial activity, and more worldwide musical impact in general than any other people in music history, whether you are a fan or not..
As for Piano branching out from the limitations of rock is required when the likes of Bill Evans, Horowitz, Van Clyburn etc. populate the top tier. The great news is that all of those we love are GREAT at what they do.

riders on the storm long keys solo is like paige on guitar, that solo moves me,:rockon: similar to school / super trmp, but super tramp/ deep purple/ had great bass players. we never forget the doors had no bass guitar :yikes:or any attempt to have robby play some sort of hybrid string guitar, to help out the bottom end. The bass foot pedals riffs are constant in the background of the doors songs, and riders on the storm solo, ELP went a step further i think from memory with a bass, and guitar sort of hybrid, but keys still doing the low key runs and key solos together,. He had to do 2 separate things at 1 time . crazy crazy talent, just 1 person playing out bass key riffs and solo key riffs at the same time, with 2 different parts of the body , and not easy songs. these guys also played for the band, to improve the entire band, that is rare today.

Nice observation. No bass player in the Doors. Strange arrangements in those tunes. "Love Me Two Times" Another example of the tricks they used to fill the void.

Back
Top Bottom