What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

ijmzPUA.png

1978 German issue.

The patch in the upper right had a name and phone number. I easily tracked it down to Dr. John X. XXXX, a PhD in English from the University of Pennsylvania. He's been at Santa Clara University for 40+ years, which is couple miles from me. He took care of this record. It's pristine, black and freakishly shiny and it's in a VRP Disc Washer sleeve.

Thanks, Dr. John!

Dr.Hook_Pleasure-and-Pain.jpg

Awesome, congrats and welcome back! Here is a mini set just for you, Leebob:

I was working on my friends lawn with him once, trimming some bushes, and I was attacked by these alien-looking insectoids (bees? wasps?); they were black with purple stripes (rather than yellow with black). Weirdest %#^+ I've seen, and they hurt. Never did figure out what species they were, though.

Earlier: "Sound Opinions" podcast with Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis

Commute Home (About to Un-Pause-- Had to stop for dinner): Count Basie and the Count Basie 7/small group, "Basie Jam"

View attachment 1091621

GJ
GJ thank you. A great set. Played the Carmen McRae and was stuck by how good the piano player was(guitarist was not bad either) Was this version on the Bittersweet Lp?
Then I played the Dexter Gordon version
Billie Holiday ... incredible!
Johnny Hartman is tooooo good. Replaying as I write this.
Here's where I went down the rabbit hole. Lou Rawls - On A Clear Day after Lou finished then I played Johnny Hartman's version. Then I played Sarah Vaughan's version, then Carman McRae's version.
As for Hothouse Flowers I think I have heard that before but not sure. So I played "Don't Go"... not bad
Thanks for the music!...Lee

I love my Stantons and Pickering cartridges. The thing is how good are our ears. It would very from person to person. I know my right ear is not the same as my left due from stand with a drummer smashing cymbals on my right side for decades. So my point is you can spend 100grand for a turn table set up but the weak link will still be the most important one. Your ears.

As a 40 year pro player and live sound engineer I can say without question that the drummers that bash cymbals all night have no clue as to how badly they disrupt and destroy a live mix. Thank God for ancient thin tarnished Zildjian cymbals, and the mature tone conscious pro's that use them. Versus the hack bashing a 1/4 inch thick 20" crash cymbal through an entire chorus and eating the vocals alive and making himself look like a toddler having a temper tantrum. The hacks usual response is of course turn the vocals up..

Back
Top Bottom