What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

How did you like Kind Of Blue after listening to it? It's the best selling and most highly regarded jazz album of all time, and considered one of the best albums of all time period (no pressure, though LOL) :beatnik:

Well I can say without conviction it takes its place as tops with my favorite jazz albums which are:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Irene Kral - The Band and I
Patricia Barber - Verse
Shirley Horn - Here’s To Life
Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown
Karin Krog - We Could Be Flying

It’s a very high praise for sure.

When Miles traveled to Fusion(Bitches Brew) it caused the same upheaval to Jazz purists as Dylan did to folk music purists when he went electric. I remember Pete Seeger unplugging Dylan's amp at Newport.
Seems like there's always some kind of generational upheaval in music genres from time to time. The hard bop/hard jazz style that was the scene in the 50's and early 60's offended many old timers like Louis Armstrong...

I personally like just about every style and type of music, especially if it is well done and represents the best of its kind. OK, opera and show tunes are still hard for me to appreciate... :p

Last edited:
Well I can say without conviction it takes its place as tops with my favorite jazz albums which are:

Patricia Barber - Verse

Indeed! That's a great list you have there... :rockon:

Patricia Barber - Verse

Kind of Blue is incredible. So is BItches Brew. True milestone markers in the Miles catalog.

Miles' electric period has much to recommend it. I almost picked up Evil Live the other day but passed: I have this weird resolution not to dig too much into the past anymore. I'm trying to steer further purchases to the current stuff (for the most part). ;)

Patricia Barber - Verse

Nice list, Xray. I especially love the women in your life.:bowdown:

It is now. This place is my oasis. Checking in by phone pales into insignificance compared to sitting in my cave with something spinning. I really don't care what is spinning, so long as I get to share it with you guys.

It’s a great place to be. The camaraderie is extraordinary. I recall I first came here and didn’t quite understand what you meant. Now I do.

OK. I'm joining in. Volume turned WAY up for this play.

No, it's not remastered, nor holographic. However, it was manufactured in a country that doesn't exist any more, and I bought it 30+ years ago and still love it. There's been a lot of water under the bridge. I was still living in England at the time, hadn't attended my first Rush concert and my son, who was born in Rushland (sorry, Canada), was years in the future. When he was 6 he decided to use the Starman as his Windows wallpaper. I was quite pleased with that choice.

IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

Kind of Blue is incredible. So is BItches Brew. True milestone markers in the Miles catalog.

Miles' electric period has much to recommend it. I almost picked up Evil Live the other day but passed: I have this weird resolution not to dig too much into the past anymore. I'm trying to steer further purchases to the current stuff (for the most part). ;)

I used to have Bitches Brew. It was out there man. I know how you feel. I’m between past and present music. It gets overwhelming.

pwi92ff8d2ay.jpg

Free • Fire and Water

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...66A4D4F980A860D723AA66A4D4F980A8&&FORM=VRDGAR

Seeing as this was just three minutes of Danny Gatton's career played at a weeknight throw away gig at Gallagher's in front of the dart boards...it's clear that he was probably the one of if not the most underrated guitar players of all time....of course not many guys have rabid fans including Les Paul, Jeff Beck, Albert Lee, Brian May, Steve Miller, Steve Morse, Vince Gill and others
Even I can tell that is really fine guitar playing. Better yet, it's just sweet music you can enjoy without thinking about the virtuosity of the musicians, if that's your inclination at the moment.

Always thought, Didn't need a sub, With 12" drivers in the speakers. No way. Picked up this Polk Audio 12" sub, Had no power. Blown fuse!!
Anyway, Wired it up, And really digging that slight boost at the extreme bottom. Just a slight touch on the sub volume, Real nice vibe. Changed the whole presentation.
IMG_0612.JPG

Back
Top Bottom