What are you playing with your Shure M3D cart today?

Right now my M3D is playing:

"The Shearing Spell"
The George Shearing Quintet
Capitol T648

The record is monaural, but I swear there is so much depth to the presentation I could mistake it for for stereo. There is a lot of treble-zone percussion on some of the tracks, and it comes across as quite finely detailed, and I don't need to turn up the treble knob on my Kenwood KR 5150 to get the higher pitched harmonics--they come right through with the tone controls flat.

Your M3D is so shiny! Do you put some kind of polish on it? Looking at the first pic I was thinking some kind of tire shine product ;). Mine has that something closer to (but not quite) a dull Bakelite finish.
The only thing I used was a clip-on reading light for illumination. I angled it to avoid glare. I would say it's more of a glossy rather than a satin finish in natural light, definitely not dull.

How does the M3D/M7D compare with, say, an M44-7 or M35X?

The M44-7 is livelier, but to my ears, not in a good way. The SC35C is a good alternative to the M3D. I personally think it's a better all round cartridge.

Both the M3D and SC35C have excellent bass, and with their stiff suspensions, are great cartridges for heavy tonearms or record changers. Both have .7 mil conical tips.

The advantages of the SC35C over the M3D are:

less expensive
still in production
can use the N78S stylus for 78's
easier to swap out the stylus

The SC35C can surpass the sound of the M3D by using a JICO SS35C which is a huge improvement over the stock stylus. The JICO replacement, like the original "Made in USA" stylus has a .6 mil conical tip. The current "Made In Mexico" stylus has a .7 mil tip.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1040

for 78's

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1519

Keep in mind that the N78S tracks between 1.5 and 3 grams, so when swapping styli, you have to change the tracking force.

Gentlemen:

If I may briefly interject: As my current N3D stylus is nearing the end, is the Jico replacement the best N3D alternative out there?

Gentlemen:

If I may briefly interject: As my current N3D stylus is nearing the end, is the Jico replacement the best N3D alternative out there?

Absolutely yes.

I have just about every after-market N3D replacement and they are all varying degrees of mediocre.

Malden, et al:

Any thoughts on this one? I've been monitoring this page for years, and somehow it just doesn't pass the sniff test. I called the guy @2014, and he told me that he bought the stock of genuine Shure N3D styli in bulk packaging from a retired repairman in the UK; claimed he only had 5 or 6 left at that point. Now 5 years later, the ad is still up...

http://www.adelcom.net/ShureStylus1.htm

Malden, et al:

Any thoughts on this one? I've been monitoring this page for years, and somehow it just doesn't pass the sniff test. I called the guy @2014, and he told me that he bought the stock of genuine Shure N3D styli in bulk packaging from a retired repairman in the UK; claimed he only had 5 or 6 left at that point. Now 5 years later, the ad is still up...

http://www.adelcom.net/ShureStylus1.htm

I have several original Shure N3D styli, the JICO clone is every bit as good and you don't have to worry about a suspension that is compromised due to age.

I was a shipboard DJ while in the Navy and the studio turntable was a Dual 1219 with a M3D and it was about skip proof. That was in the 70s and the last time I have seen a functioning M3D.

I was a shipboard DJ while in the Navy and the studio turntable was a Dual 1219 with a M3D and it was about skip proof. That was in the 70s and the last time I have seen a functioning M3D.

Curious that an auto table was chosen for the DJ's use!

I once talked to a guy who's dad was a radio dj in the early 60s who said his dad and his dj buddies called the M3D "The Nail"!

Back
Top Bottom