What are your listening habits for music you own?

But you guys with your libraries, something for everyone, I'll get to it one day and wine cellars mentalities have won me over!

Yeah, that is definitely something I do. If I'm bin digging and see something that I probably would never listen to, but know someone that would (e.g. Chopin or Mozart) and it's a good recording I'll pick it up and slap it on the server. Because half the fun of having a good system is watching people listen to music they love on it and sharing the joy.

Oh man, you had to mention this? I already have the 60 disc Living Stereo Collection in my basket. I was going back and forth on it until I read a few posts in this thread. Made it seem silly for me not to get it.

Now this!!!!!!!!!!!

55 discs I believe?

This thread is gonna cost me a bundle!

But you guys with your libraries, something for everyone, I'll get to it one day and wine cellars mentalities have won me over!

I have all three of the Merc CD box sets. For the money, they can't be beat. (Box 3 has all the stuff I kept waiting for but never showed up....) I want the Living Stereo SACD's (or CD's for that matter) but I have a bunch of 'em (I wore out more than one copy of the Mitchell list-it was cheap thrills back in the day) on LP already. I have the first Mercury LP (reissue) box that was sent by accident by the retailer. He discounted it for me to keep it, but I haven't opened it. (I should.....I'm not really saving it for anything...) This is a great thread! So much great music. So little time.....

First, good thread idea.

Me, I have my die hard never leaving the stable stuff. First 6 VH albums, my favorite classical stuff, etc.
Then with my discovery of a font of goodies via the Half Price bookstore 30 dollar bag sales, I have a mountain of stuff I may one day like. This is your Neil Diamond, Kansas, Cat Stevens, etc.

I've already discovered I like Grand Funk Railroad, War, Zoot Sims, Errol Garner, and many others from this wealth of forgotten jems.

Since cds are so damned cheap, I buy stuff sometimes to have backups, sometimes for buddies, things like this.

I really have far more than I can listen to in several lifetimes. Good music, and some of my favorites, are things it took YEARS to soak in, so as I change and age, things I loved may get less play, things I ignored might be discovered.

It's a great time to be a music lover, that's for sure.

I want the Living Stereo SACD's (or CD's for that matter)

Funny you mention that (greats minds and all :)) but I just sent an Email to Presto Classical asking which they had available as a box, the SACD's the DSD CD's or the Redbook. They were released in all 3. Well, at lease some have been, I am not sure if the full box was released in SACD or DSD CD.

I'll let you know what they say.

Oh man, you had to mention this? I already have the 60 disc Living Stereo Collection in my basket. I was going back and forth on it until I read a few posts in this thread. Made it seem silly for me not to get it.

Now this!!!!!!!!!!!

55 discs I believe?

This thread is gonna cost me a bundle!

Yeah, AK has cost me a lot too, and I'm fine with that.

I want the Living Stereo SACD's (or CD's for that matter) but I have a bunch of 'em (I wore out more than one copy of the Mitchell list-it was cheap thrills back in the day) on LP already.

Just got a response. As far as Presto knows it has only ever been released, as a box, in Redbook.

I only listened to one LP the entire summer. Too active outside. Now that it is fall, I listen to about 2 LPs a night. If I'm playing a game of pool with my wife, she chooses the LP. If I purchase a new album, l love to give it a few spins. Immediately. In the car w/ MP3 downloads and on the TT. Picked up an original US MCA double CD of "Quadrophenia" today since I often have "classic" albums in both LP and digital format. I'm a stickler for researching pressings/remasters/etc.

Just about every night, we stream SXM (Tom Petty's "Buried Treasure") on the vintage system while prepping dinner.

LP's are cleaned and Ripped. CD's are ripped. Then all tracks are listened to and favorite tracks are selected. I am able to listen to music pretty much all day at work so the pod gets set to my favorites playlist on shuffle. Takes about 3 to 4 weeks to get through them all. The quest for new artists & music never ends so if I hear something at work that I haven't heard in a long time I will go home and play the whole album. :thumbsup:

Hmmm...it seems you can't edit your posts the way we used to. I just wanted to add to one of my posts that of course, one of the great pleasures in life is to listen to something, and then play something else, coming back to a recording whenever you wish. In my original remarks, I didn't want the OP to think there was anything at all amiss about how he went about listening.

And addressing something else he said - to the effect that repeated listening cuts down on what you buy - I would say, if you are enjoying a song or a piece of music so much that you would want to play it again, that's GREAT!! How wonderful that you've found something that you would want to hear again. That's kind of what it's about, right?

I have a few of the SACD's (bought for comparison's sake when the time was right) and I like them very much. I don't rip LP's because in my experience they don't transfer all that well, compared to the dynamics (in particular) from my TT, being played live in real time. (You admittedly can turn the gain up after ripping them, which offsets the comparative level a bit, but it's hard not perceive it as compression, I'm sure it's a personal preference thing.) I bought my favorite dozen or so of the LS's when they first hit CD in the original cover art and original gear "remastered" editions in the '90's. I've bought a few of the Audiophile reissues on CD (The Classic "Witches", The AP "Power of the Orchestra", etc.) and they sound really fine, but not quite identical. There are just enough differences to make comparisons interesting. The CD of "Nevsky" LSC-2395 is a favorite. I didn't really think there was a box of the SACD's. I wish....lol.....

I listen to certain stuff in cycles . Be it prog , classic , jazz , whatever . Also , something on the radio or TV might trigger something in me and I will scurry home and listen it for weeks . As far as a new album , it will get serious plays for a couple of days at least .

I employ the same method for digital or physical. Everything "new" is funneled through a pile/folder and doesn't hit the vault until its listened to. If I have some downtime with no new items, I will go through the stacks/files and pull out stuff I haven't heard in a while. First world problems huh fellaz?? Haha...

If I am in my deathbed with my only regret being "I didn't listen to all of my albums"... I will consider it a good life.

If you can't get to everything, so what? It's yours and you love owning it. It's in your library. How rewarding!

So what is your style? Do you always spin everything you buy ASAP?

Do you insist on evaluating it over several listens like me?

Do you avoid box sets, love them and always listen to all immediately?

Buy give a listen and sell?

How important is your "library" to you? Is having a library part of the enjoyment or is it strictly utilitarian and your are all about streaming now and wish it always existed?

I generally listen based on mood. If not, then it will be based on what I am doing. Upbeat music for cleaning up, etc, etc.

Unless an album is only available on CD, I will buy the LP. After a listen or two, I will decide whether or not to commit it to my collection. If not, I will rip it and trade it back in.

I find this method makes me feel good about supporting the industry, and keeps some of my money afloat with trading.

But ya, my collection has been carefully culled. Years ago, I realized I was buying albums for the sake of buying them ie: dollar bin. I wasn't proud of my collection, and most of it was just sitting around unplayed. So I donated about 75% of what I had and started over with a new philosophy. My golden rule? Buy one awesome album for $20, instead of ten average albums for $2 each. Now I am like a kid in a candy store everytime I have to pick something to listen to.

Its also helped to keep my physical collection to a dull roar, instead of squillions of albums.

2 fold answer;

for myself, strictly vinyl. I have been sending away for albums for 40 years. I have most everything I want. There are a few I am looking for but prices for those weren't cheap/easy back then and they have gone up substantially since. For example, some of the Ashra Temple albums I don't have. I just don't think they are much of a value at current prices. So what my current buying tends to be is 12" singles. For the improved sound quality and the longer versions. Last 2 purchases were "I still Believe" by the Call and "stages" by ZZTop. And mistakenly, I have bought some of these new re-releases 180 gram etc and have found them to be poor at best. About like buying a Korean pressing years back--about the worst version you could get.

That's all I play are 1 song at a time and I do not own 10 rock albums worthy of playing a whole side. Never did. Electronic music is a different story though.

Latest search for my son is cd singles. They are pricier than I thought and he gravitates towards things like Les Claypool efforts/Pearl Jam/Tool/Etc. But I did get him some items I think anyway, are good for test purposes/reference. Chemical Brothers singles/Kraftwerk singles. They sound pretty good on his system and a lot of things he gets--much like vinyl--is still hit or miss as far as sound quality is concerned.

A direct cause and effect of thise kind of thing is buying fewer and fewer things. Most you already have and you do get burnt over-paying for say 4 or 5 mediocre sounding efforts in a row and it leaves a sour taste for sure.

One of my good friends is a dink (Double Income No Kids), and I often feel jealous of the amount of new music he bas the luxury of buying. But, when I ask his opinion of an album we both bought a month or two ago, be very often says he hasn't listened to it yet. At this point I don't feel so jealous. I ussd to buy as much as I could like him, but when I had kids my buying babits changed. I now go back and listen to more of what I already own as well. I see less reward in owning more than I can listen to, than owning more of what I really want to listen to. Different strokes, and all that, but that's my view. If I come across a large sum of money, I'm sure my views on this would change. But, I'd probably have much more free time for listening as well.

I noticed that some folks in the music threads tend to never spin the same disc twice.
How can you tell they never spin the same disc twice? If KeninDC posts in the some Frankie Yankovic disc in the Friday Polka Playlist it could mean he spun it once, or for weeks on end or even never and he is just showing off,
I also know that some have a hard time getting to music that they have bought to give a listen.
I currently have a stack from a thrift, one from a flea market score, and yet another from the olson_jr's September SMAC soiree. It may take me awhile to get through them and there may be more added by the time I do. It does make it tough to justify to 313gal when there is a bag of vinyl still on a dining room chair and I walk in with another armload. She kind of accepts that it is sometimes about the hunt and would rather see more records come in than more speakers.

Terrific thread...lately, I've been visiting my favorite record stores looking for labels that I have "discovered" as my listening focus has expanded...particularly in the classical and jazz genres...Most purchases get a clean and a listen within a day (maybe 2 if it's been one of those weeks). Today work is from the "home office" which means a great deal of uninterrupted music while getting paperwork and the like done!

Great thread! Lots of interesting answers.
My purchasing habits and listening habits vary by format.

I buy individual SACDs as my interests take me and always listen from beginning to end for at least several times. I buy newly recorded music
only, not reissues in SACD format.

I buy CDs by the box only (MLP, RCA LS, Seon,DG etc). as they are an absolute steal and audit them at my leisure. They are usually vintage (50's-80's) recordings which I have already heard and feel no pressure to get through them all.

I buy LPs at charity shops and flea markets and they are always opportunistic purchases as I have no idea what's available until I get there. I listen to them as I would SACDs if only to determine how much
"cleaning" they will need to be part of the collection. :)

I buy open reel tapes recorded at 7 1/2 IPS because I love the sound of well recorded reels and listen to them frequently. Unfortunately these tapes are rare in the UK and I treasure all of them ( I have less than 40).

I post only what I consider worth listening to or something by a major artist that I feel is a sub-par performance so other people are aware of it.

I never knowingly post the same recording twice, but I have 10 years of posts in the classical music section, so duplications do happen.

Ray

When I get a new album (usually through iTunes these days) I'll usually spend an evening listening all the way through. Looking forward to doing so next month with the new Dylan Bootleg Series.

But my daily listening habit, when I have the time, involves slowly going through my entire collection (about 20,000 songs) alphabetically by album title. I'll usually pick one or two songs from the album - either a favorite or something I haven't head in a while - and can get through a letter of the alphabet in about an hour. Tonight I'll be on the letters Q (Quadrophenia, Queen Elvis...) and R (Radio KAOS, Rain Dogs...).

Back
Top Bottom