What are your listening habits for music you own?

I admit freely when I bring home a new to me LP I want to hear it cover to cover asap. Sometimes things sit in the rack for a while if it was bought because I felt it was a value and I am deciding if it makes the cut and gets added to the collection or will be flipped.

When I get lucky enough to snag a stack of LPs, I often spin one side to get a feel for the true condition and then move on to another artist. Then circle back to the other side before adding it to the flip pile or the collection.

Yesterday I went to a local record store crawl sponsored by 4 independent shops and came home with about 30 LPs since everything was 25-40% off. I will be churning through that stack for a while.

If you own 1000s of records, or for that matter CDs, you'll never listen to most of them very often.

For me, the purpose of having a large music collection is being able to play whatever you want whenever you want to. If something pops into your head, you are likely to have a copy on the shelf, so onto the turntable it goes.

If I look through my listening logs for the last 10 years, most records have only been played once or twice. There is a hard core of favorites that have gotten, 10, 20 or 30 plays, but even that is only 3 plays a year.

My favorite genre is prog, which usually takes many listening sessions, before an album "takes". I'm happily married but it seems to me the process is similar to falling in love, it starts slow and the music becomes an obsession for awhile. There's an attraction to "new" love, I guess new music is a safe way to experience that. Luckily there is good new prog being made, such as Steven Wilson, so I can fall in love over and over.

I also buy low cost albums non-prog from thrifts and yard sales. I have built a large album library that way, and when in the mood will randomly grab an album and play it. I'm usually surprised how enjoyable that can be. The other category of music that I listen to is music that reminds me of my teen years or early twenties. I don't like to dwell there long but oftentimes find myself reaching back and enjoying a good memory.

My favorite genre is prog, which usually takes many listening sessions, before an album "takes". I'm happily married but it seems to me the process is similar to falling in love, it starts slow and the music becomes an obsession for awhile. There's an attraction to "new" love, I guess new music is a safe way to experience that. Luckily there is good new prog being made, such as Steven Wilson, so I can fall in love over and over.

nice post but I am not the same

I appreciate much music and fall in love like a bolt of lighting.

As to Steven Wilson, what is new and recommended by you?

Listening habit:

Bring record home. Make sure record is not warped. Clean and re-sleeve record.

I will leave new records separate from the rest of the collection for a while, sort of a "new stuff" pile to pull from and play a few times before it gets mixed in with the rest. I don't usually buy more than 10 records at a time, so this works pretty good.

I can't even add to that. I have the exact same routine!

nice post but I am not the same

I appreciate much music and fall in love like a bolt of lighting.

As to Steven Wilson, what is new and recommended by you?

Let's see, Porcupine Tree of course, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings and Transatlantic are some of the current groups that I like. There are some albums that I don't care for but when these artists are good they are as enjoyable as the classic prog masters.

My mission here is apparently to revive long dormant threads. That said, count me in the Vonnegut Fan Club. Along with the Douglas Adams fan club. I know there's a forum for literature on AK. I just thought the context here was really cool......I spent a lot of time in College reading that stuff (while listening to Maurice or Maynard in headphones at 3:00 a.m.) when I probably should've been reading Donald J. Grout instead. The Grout doesn't hold up in daily life anywhere NEAR as well though. Drier than dirt and too presumptuous of opinion. The closer you get to the 20th Century, the more true it is....ymmv. Vonnegut and Adams age better.

Back
Top Bottom