What Artist passing affected you the most

John Lennon and there is no second place.

The Beatles were a huge influence on me. Lennon was killed when I was in college, living on campus and deeply involved in the typical things young college men would have been at the time.

Back then I had the time and the passion to let this bother me, and it did.

I remember that night well. I was home. I had just set up the new NAD gear that I had bought. No speakers yet, since I had ordered those. But, the speakers I had snatched from a console stereo were at least producing sound. I had fallen asleep, listening to FM late into the night, when the news story broke that John Lennon had been shot and killed. It woke me from a deep sleep! I never got back to sleep that night. Sad.

Having been a brass musician since the age of 9 I would say either, Grainger, Holst, or Sousa. As A Hifi enthusiast, Frank Mcintosh, with his president Gordon Gow and his on Frank Gow. some might think the Gow's and Frank were not Artists. Well look and any Mcintosh piece with that gorgeous Glass faceplate or chrome chassis tell me that isn't art. The sound the Mac components produce certainly is art and the ability to design, build and sell that equipment to the skeptical American buyer is certainly an ART.

I guess I should mention Leonard Bernstein and his children concerts which introduced me to Music in its many forms and structures. My Dad was an All State Violin Soloist and concertmaster. My Grandmother was an accomplished pianist and Organist, too. My mother had a tin ear and couldn't carry a tune, but was an accomplished dancer and loved Swing and Dixieland.

So I have been surrounded by music my entire life.

Last edited:
I can't really think of any artist's passing that affected me particularly, as I enjoy music, and don't really pay a lot of thought to the people producing that music. I can think of a few artists that died young, or died as a result of stupid lifestyle choices, and when I think of them, I think of the wasted opportunity, of all the beautiful music they could have created, if they had lived to an average old age. Most artists, I don't like them as people (from what I have read or seen in interviews), and I certainly don't agree with most of them in terms of their politics, opinions, or lifestyle choices. So when they pass away, I'm afraid I don't spend a lot of time ruminating on their demise. The music is what matters.

The death's of artists who died young have more of an effect on me because there is so much more they could have done. I am saddened by the death's of legends but if they lived a good long life then at least you can remember them fondly and you know that everyone passes to the great beyond.

So I would also say John Lennon.

And the numerous musicians who died too young like Jim Morrison 27, Tupac 25, Joplin 27, Elvis 42, Keith Moon 32, Freddi Mercury 45, Otis Redding 26, Jimi Hendrix 28, Bob Marley 36, Sam Cooke 33, and Eva Cassidy 33 who became a star after she died never knowing the success she would have or could have had. Many of these artists and many more who die in their 20s and 30s we miss out on possibly 40+ years of work. Eva was the most recently that hit me hardest.

Lowell George. I still believe Little Feat was the tightest rock band of them all and Lowell and Bill Payne got it started. I shutter to think Dylan's time is coming but that will be tough.

Not then, but now: Jimi Hendrix. I was a kid at the time of his passing and didn't know/care much one way or another. But these days I still check out a new configuration with "Voodoo Chile" and "Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland".

In that process I generally start wondering what he might have been putting out these days if he was still around.

For me it was John Bonham. I was in high school at the time he passed away. Zeppelin was my group of choice and I was supposed to go see them in the Meadowlands that year. Though I've seen each of the remaining members, its just not the same...

For me, there are far too many to mention, and I expect the list to get longer sooner than later.
Miles Davis
Frank Zappa
Jimi H
Tommy Bolin
Jaco Pastorius
Bonham
Emerson
Lake
Wetton
Holdsworth
Montrose
Victor Bailey
Maurice White
Gary Moore
John Lord
Lennon
Bowie
Croce
Buckley
Randy Rhodes
Glen Campbell
Jerry Garcia
Larry Coryell
Alphonse Mouzon
Marvin Gaye
Duane Allman
Jeff and Mike Porcaro
Walter Becker
The Gibbs brothers Barry, Maurice, Robin
Fred Mercury
Prince

Last edited:
Just saw the news about Tom Petty, and oddly I had this thread open at the same time. I just saw him in Seattle last month, and he looked (and sounded) great.

:(

Just getting over the shock of Tom Petty who, by some reports, is still clinging to life. Fingers crossed!

I measure the important instances in my life by knowing where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news. Consequently, it is the death of John Lennon.

RIP Tom Petty ... tough one for me. The guy has always been there all my life.
Vinyl .. 8 tracks ..cassettes ... CD's ... MTV .. Vinyl again

Last edited:
It's a toss up for me between John Lennon and Tom Petty. Tom just always came across as one of those guys you could hang with. Just a normal dude with immense music skills.

Back
Top Bottom