What Artist passing affected you the most

Guitarist Pete Huttlinger, who passed a year ago January. Broke my heart when I heard the news. Phenominal musician and overall nice guy.

Why Randy Rhoads ???
As mentioned he was still young and had lots of music left to share with us.
Saw him play shortly before the band took the break they were on when the accident happened,and it was an awesome show.

Where was I when I heard about it ?
At home listening to the radio and early reports did'nt say who was involved,just some members of Ozzy's band.
And I can remember thinking in my head,,,NOT Randy,,,NOT Randy,,,NOT Randy...
Horribly selfish thought,but man I really dug his playing.

Why Bonzo ?
If you have to ask I probably cant explain it to you,one of the great drummers lost forever,and it ruined my chance to see LZ play.

Where was when I heard about it ?
At school,and everyone was talking 'bout it as we were all pretty stoked they were coming to play.

Why Dime ?
Because NO musician deserves to be gunned down on stage by some random whack-job.
Also he was another unique talent,and by all acounts a genuinely nice guy to boot.
Plus I never got to see him play live,which I will always regret.

Where was I when I heard about that ?
Cant really say I recall,probably surfing the web or something like that.

Why Cliff Burton ?
Pretty much the same as above,just pure raw talent and he seemed to truly enjoy what he was doing.
Seen Metallica with him twice (RTL & Masters tours) and enjoyed every second,glad I got to see them when I did.

Where was I when I heard about it.
Again dont remember specifics,but it was one of those things where you wondered if the band could continue w/o him.

Why Lane Staley ?
Like I said I just enjoyed his wordcrafting skills,and he put it all out there,dark as that often was.
One of the best live shows I've seen was AIC @ the Eagles ballroom in '93,man what a show.

Where was I when I heard ?
Another one I cant recall off-hand,but I remember not being too surprised,just sad that it ended the way it did.
The fact that he was'nt found for like a week or so was really telling about the dark place he was in.

Why Chris Cornell ?
His voice was amazing,and his songwriting chops were finely crafted as well.

Where was I when I heard?
Surfing the web and it was like WTF,,,naw cant be true...

Why SRV ???
Again if I have to explain why...
Plus like I said it happened @ AVMT and anyone that's been out there when it's foggy knows damn well no copters should have been flying.
Glad I got to see SRV a few times when I moved down to ATX,one of the best of those was his Xmas show Dec. 16 1985.

Why Keith Moon ?
Pretty much the same as Bonzo...

Where was I when I heard ?
On my way back from a trip up north (Vilas Co. Wisc.)

Why Jeff Hanneman ?
Sorta the same reasons as Randy & Dime.
Never got to see Slayer and that was another regret,wont ever happen now.

Where was I when I heard.
Dunno as it was'nt as big an announcement so it was one of those things that just sorta snuck up on me.

Why Bon Scott ?
Well,I would've loved to see the band w/him as the front man.

Where was I ?
I'm sure I would've been listening to the radio back in those days,so it would've been like any other day.
Then BAM you're hit with the bad news...

Why Ronnie Montrose ?
Just felt he never really got the credit due to him.

Where was I ???
Again this was one of those deals that just kinda sneaks up on you.
Felt it was sad that he chose that way to end his career...

FWIW

Bret P.

Wow, one mention of arguably THE best frontman of all time - Freddie Mercury.

I grew up with Queens music in our house, in our car, on my Walkman. I spent years wanting to BE Freddie (although knowing what I know now, I'm glad I didn't follow that path).

I cried when he died, the senseless waste of such talent just left me dumbfounded.

Honourable mentions to the so far unmentioned Marc Bolan and the supremely cool and talented Steve Clark of Def Leppard. Two great talents again taken way too soon.

Three from some time ago... Johnny Horton, Patsy Cline and Buddy Holly. All died mid career, Horton in a car accident, Cline and Holly in an airplane crash. Can't help but wonder the impact they might have had, what kind of possible icons they might have become.. especially Horton and Cline. In my opinion Horton would have attained the status of Johnny Cash/Merle Haggard, and Cline's voice was like a musical instrument... one of very few in a generation.

Three from some time ago... Johnny Horton, Patsy Cline and Buddy Holly. All died mid career, Horton in a car accident, Cline and Holly in an airplane crash. Can't help but wonder the impact they might have had, what kind of possible icons they might have become.. especially Horton and Cline. In my opinion Horton would have attained the status of Johnny Cash/Merle Haggard, and Cline's voice was like a musical instrument... one of very few in a generation.

I hear ya. Then too, it is a lot safer to travel by air today...the new cars as well. Plus, a lot of the performers travelled by private vehicles back then.

Q

Last edited:
Was in NYC as a teenager when John Lennon was shot. I remember two conversations distinctly. One, a teacher, saying "well it's not as if it were Bob Dylan" and the other, a businessman on Fifth Ave saying "he was caught up in that drug culture thing in the 60s." Even then I thought... Idiots!

You made some interesting observations.

Was gonna start a related thread to this one, but maybe can give it a sorta mental spin that some already have done within their choice of why the loss effected to the degree it did.

I've often wondered bout what really does cause a few to really stand out for a person, and the way they met their end had an effect on the people who loved their music.

Some times I've thought that is a person such as Holly, Vaughan, Lennon and the like are taken from the music scene at the height of their career, and this would be the greatest impact on the followers. Then, there is the age of the follower who might be involved when the person was suddenly removed from the scene. Following this, how would the events happening in one's own life effect this loss of a certain performer. I've also thought that some performers have a singular above the norm ability to play, sing or create that sets them apart and the sudden departure from us causes this life long loss. Finally, is it the very event itself in how the entertainers lost their lives? Is there any one that creates the biggest impact?

So, if anybody can share which of the above variables in what effected them the most, it would help me/others understand these sad events in the music world.

Q

I think to your point, it's really an amalgam of factors akin to the sliders of a mixing board. Each factor will likely have a place in the mix to varying levels depending on the individual.

Was in NYC as a teenager when John Lennon was shot. I remember two conversations distinctly. One, a teacher, saying "well it's not as if it were Bob Dylan" and the other, a businessman on Fifth Ave saying "he was caught up in that drug culture thing in the 60s." Even then I thought... Idiots!
It's interesting how everyone has such diverse perspectives. You saw those folks as idiots for their point of view on those particular deaths. I don't know your taste in music and I may be going out on a limb here, but what if it happened today and it was some bubble gum pop star or rapper who was adored by millions but inconsequential to you; could you picture yourself saying something similar to that teacher or businessman? I know I could, truth be told. If Katy Perry were to drop dead tomorrow I wouldn't be upset over a great loss in the world of music. As a human being I'd feel bad as I would for anyone, but to affect me deeply, not so much.
If I said "well it's not as if it were Diana Krall", that Katy Perry fan would likely think...Idiot!

Agreed 100%.....All three were unique and who knows the impact they could have had. They still left a huge mark on my life and listen to them regularly....

Sometime in 1978 or 1979, I had a chance to see Little Feat at the now defunct Leona Theater in Homestead, PA. I skipped it - no kidding - to study for an exam. A few months later, Lowell George was dead. I probably still would have finished in the top 90% of my class if I went to the show.

I learned a valuable lesson: There are certain things you are probably going to get just one shot at. Right now, I'm thinking about driving 8 or 10 hours to see the total solar eclipse.

I think to your point, it's really an amalgam of factors akin to the sliders of a mixing board. Each factor will likely have a place in the mix to varying levels depending on the individual.

Great analogy of the sound board. :thumbsup: There prob isn't a single reason for the emotion stirred by the loss of a performer and like you, I find it interesting which variable factors most in the personal impact.

And as you have pointed out, the different generations have a wide degree of respect for the different people in the music industry who meet their demise either by accident, chance or self inflicted. So, I would guess that the age of the listener might be one of the primary reasons coupled with all the others varying in regards to the other influences, some more than others depending upon heritage, education and all the rest that goes into how we as individuals perceive the world. In other words BIAS, something that we can't really eliminate.

I think there's yet another reason why some may become swept up in the aftermath of an early leave and perhaps the music industry plays its part as it hadn't in the past. What I'm trying to highlight is the material not yet released, or some that might have been lost and now found. If the star in question had garnered a substantial following, the advertising machine gets involved and there's still money to be made, esp if Joe Public knows there ain't gonna be anymore. I stand on one leg as I write this,:rolleyes: but I believe there's some truth in this POV as yet it creates another perpetuation of memory and emotional engagement.

Q

Last edited:
Great analogy of the sound board. :thumbsup: There prob isn't a single reason for the emotion stirred by the loss of a performer and like you, I find it interesting which variable factors most in the personal impact.
Q

Haha, thanks...I pull one out of my ass every once in a while.:smoke:

Sometime in 1978 or 1979, I had a chance to see Little Feat at the now defunct Leona Theater in Homestead, PA. I skipped it - no kidding - to study for an exam. A few months later, Lowell George was dead. I probably still would have finished in the top 90% of my class if I went to the show.

I learned a valuable lesson: There are certain things you are probably going to get just one shot at. Right now, I'm thinking about driving 8 or 10 hours to see the total solar eclipse.
I had a different but somewhat similar experience.
I was given a ticket to see the Dead , Fathers Day '95. As my first child was born April '95 i felt an obligation to be home for Father's day the first time i was a father. I'm not sorry i made the choice, but Jerry Garcia was dead a couple of months later. I was sad that i missed my last opportunity to see him play.

I was most affected by David Bowie's death. I've never been one to act like I knew someone that I didn't, but the fact that I had been enjoying his Blackstar album all weekend before his death and how his death gave new meaning to the music made me shed some tears on subsequent listens.

I had a different but somewhat similar experience.
I was given a ticket to see the Dead , Fathers Day '95. As my first child was born April '95 i felt an obligation to be home for Father's day the first time i was a father. I'm not sorry i made the choice, but Jerry Garcia was dead a couple of months later. I was sad that i missed my last opportunity to see him play.

Personally, I think you had yer priorities in order. How's that for an affirmation?

Jerry was still but a performer, and your first child only happens once and the young one is with you for the rest of your life.

Just make sure he or she gets a great education/training, so you are put in a super care palace in your Golden Years. :biggrin: (a joke. a very little one at that, eh?

Q

Last edited:
Agreed 100%.....All three were unique and who knows the impact they could have had. They still left a huge mark on my life and listen to them regularly....

Me too John. Great use of stereo, Miss Marcy is an example of the ballad mastery of Horton, when he sings...musical arrangement, mix, guitar and banjo augmenting every lyric... it's like watching a movie in full color. I still have a 45 of Miss Marcy purchased by my friends dad who had hi fi back in that day so it plays well still... the other side has 'Ol Slewfoot... another one, full of life and energy that one can feel the whole scene as though you're on the front steps of a place out in the woods experiencing all the commotion. Then there are his more famous 'hits' like North to Alaska... Whispering Pines.. etc. He would have had a place in American history not unlike Samuel Clemens, other wise known as Mark Twain.... A True Story. I too listen to them regularly. Ireland.. cheers to you... Take care.

Back
Top Bottom