What Audio have you found in the scrap yard Lately. Keep this thread going!

Junk Audio

A lot of Audio Has been being lost to the metal Recycling scrap yards for many years. all of you audio collectors across the Country need to be looking in your local Scrap Yards.

There was just a huge Audio loss in my area two weeks ago. I caught the guy at the very end and got a few pieces including a Fisher 400 receiver. But probably what was $100k of vintage Electronics was lost to the world forever!

So start looking and post what you find. I have been finding stuff in the metal recycling Scrap yards for years. I actually bought the entire audio system from the Franklin institute in a scrap yard years ago when they updated their system.

It is of the upmost Importance that we keep this thread going and keep people looking..................!

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by 'scrap yard' but the city dump is a really stinky, dusty, unpleasant place to be poking around. I would recommend to most people to take their old audio stuff to the goodwill or salvation. This is an excellent choice of disposal as they will make a few dollars and you can have a tax write off if you want. cheers.

I pulled these pieces from a salvage yard about 3 months ago, all transformers tested good believe it or not...

IMG_0940[1].JPG IMG_0941[1].JPG IMG_0942[1].JPG

Last edited:
Great, I found nine tube amps at one shot in a scrap yard!!!

Sorry Primosounds. That was a ridiculous post....

That was like a stinky fart for my first response... Boooo.....

Last edited:
All I know is that the county considers the waste/trash that's already been dropped their property. If you take something, they will contact the police and prosecute. No dumpster diving here (Fairfax County, VA).

I'm not talking about the Dump!!!! I'm talking about metal recycling centers!!! Get it? GEEZ.....!!!

A lot of Audio Has been being lost to the metal Recycling scrap yards for many years. all of you audio collectors across the Country need to be looking in your local Scrap Yards.

There was just a huge Audio loss in my area two weeks ago. I caught the guy at the very end and got a few pieces including a Fisher 400 receiver. But probably what was $100k of vintage Electronics was lost to the world forever!

So start looking and post what you find. I have been finding stuff in the metal recycling Scrap yards for years. I actually bought the entire audio system from the Franklin institute in a scrap yard years ago when they updated their system.

It is of the upmost Importance that we keep this thread going and keep people looking..................!
Give that guy your phone # ! I have never found audio at our scrap yards, I once tried to get a hit and miss engine, but someone there wanted it.

You might get better responses with a better/more respectful attitude.

Are you saying that metal recycling centers will let you just poke around in their piles?

More respectful? Do what you’re going to do. I can lead a horse to water, but I can’t make it drink..... AudioKarma never ceases to deter me. Audiopiles don’t know the difference between a dump and a scrap yard, they mouth off at me and I’m disrespectful? Yeah, no wonder I don’t bother.......)

I got a nice Scott 299B out of a dumpster at a flea market I used to have a booth at. It had no tubes in it but all the transformers checked good and I have re-caped it and it plays great and I still have it.

Gregb

A lot of scrap yards won't let you wander around do to insurance reasons but I have one fairly local to me that will. I stop in there every few weeks just to look around. I have picked up a few items but no tube gear. Doesn't stop me from looking though.
Junk Audio, where do you live? Maybe check the scrap yards in the area.
And yes, to many folks don't know the difference between the scrap yard and the town or county dump. Scrap yard is a favorite place to scrounge for metal for projects.

BillWojo

You might get better responses with a better/more respectful attitude.

Are you saying that metal recycling centers will let you just poke around in their piles?

I agree!!, Primo asked a simple question about "scrap yards" and for you to say "That was a ridiculous post" was unnecessary.

More respectful? Do what you’re going to do. I can lead a horse to water, but I can’t make it drink..... AudioKarma never ceases to deter me. Audiopiles don’t know the difference between a dump and a scrap yard, they mouth off at me and I’m disrespectful? Yeah, no wonder I don’t bother.......)

Who's mouthing off? chill out dude and listen to some music.

You can't just wander around the local dump or the local scrap yard in my area. A little thing called liability and trespassing stop me from doing it.

I have a friend who is always bragging about all the good stuff he gets at the recycling center. I finally stopped there today. They said they don't take electronics. I wandered around a little, and I didn't see anything at all. So either I was at the wrong place, or my buddy is lying, lol.

I just deleted 4 posts ... be civilized and friendly or I'll cut you right out.
remember - "All Audio, NO ATTITUDE!"

FWIW, I have a pair of UREI 809A (coaxial) speakers I got from an electronics recycling center in Falls Church, VA -
the surrounds had gone bad and someone trashed them for that. Now, it was NOT a junkyard or dump, and they were not free.
The recycling place had listed them on eBay, nobody else bid, so I paid a couple hundred dollars for them - which was a super deal!
Then I paid $30 to Rick Cobb for the surround kit and my labor to fix the surrounds - but they are worth MUCH MUCH more!
I like the sound so much I bought a second pair in Richmond (for a LOT more) and use them as Side Surrounds ...

UREI-LeftSide.jpg

Back
Top Bottom