What brand do you like that you wouldn't necessarily want to own more of?

audiodogster

I know many people are brand enthusiasts. I'm very happy with all of the Yamaha equipment I own and would love to own more. The styling of vintage Yamaha pieces is probably my favorite and the sound signatures seem more modern than their contemporaries. That being said, by chance of what's been good deals, I've ended up with a lot of Klipsch speakers. I've had La Scala, Forte, and others. I like the sound but unless I found a good deal on Klipschorns, I'm not sure I would buy more Klipsch speakers as I'd like to hear a different sound. Do you have a brand that you like that you're not sure you'd like to buy or live with more of?

Silver faced monster receivers would be mine. I've owned several of them and I still like checking them out in other peoples rigs but I don't care to have any as part of my rigs anymore.

I've been a Linn enthusiast since the mid-'80's, but I simply don't find their products to offer the value they once did. In 1985, I got their lowest-priced LP12 setup, which included the Valhalla power supply and Basik Plus arm plus Basik cartridge for $1005, and that included an extra $50 for the black ash plinth. Their lowest-priced model today is $4320, with a more basik power supply, no dust cover, and a non-Linn arm. It's nearly double the inflation-adjusted price of $2272.

Marantz receivers.

A 2215 I briefly owned and a 2325 obtained by a friend who was enamoured with the brand.

2215 came my way via a bench tech who didn't want it. Neither did I after listening, recapping and listening again. Got rid of it on CL for $50.

2325 was from a vendor supposedly professionally gone over from stem to stern by shop. Totally underwhelming sound quality especially considering the price paid. Looked nice though.

Marantz hype escapes me.

Do you have a brand that you like that you're not sure you'd like to buy or live with more of?
For some reason the way that is phrased really made me rack my brains thinking about this.
Lets break it down just a bit...

Q) Do I have a brand that I like ?
A) Hmmm yeah sure I do,lots of them to be honest.

Q) Am I unsure if I would like to buy or own more of it ???
A) Not really no,there's almost always some other piece(s) of gear out there from any of those brands that I'd like to try out

Now to be honest there's a few odd duck brands of gear around here that I would'nt rush out to buy more of.
But I dont really count those as they amount to freak anomalies,what I mean by that is it's gear I never really went looking for to begin with.
Sometimes stuff just has a way of ending up somewhere it does'nt really "fit in" well.

Most of the stuff I'd be inclined to be indifferent to I would'nt own in the first place,as I'm fairly careful about things like that.
Main reason for that is probably the fact that I cant afford to buy something I'm not real sure I'd like (ie: I cant afford to take chances on ??? gear).

If my financial situation were more robust I'd almost certainly be willing to try new & different things vs. going with the known quantity.
And in that sorta situation I'd almost certainly come across brands that would fall short for me thus making me less inclinded to seek out more.

But for now my "gear wanted" list is quite long & very diverse...

FWIW

Bret P.

Phase Linear. Ive had some and liked it. But no longer have any desire to get any more.

Silver faced monster receivers would be mine. I've owned several of them and I still like checking them out in other peoples rigs but I don't care to have any as part of my rigs anymore.

Exactly where I am. I still run a couple of Yamaha silver faced units in a second system but I won't be adding anymore to my collection. Not because I don't like it but because I won't use it.

Here's where I ended up when I started collecting that gear:

Yammie Stack 02.jpg

Another big ASR amp. While they are probably among the best amps on the market, the larger amps take four rack spaces. One component, four spots.

Probably Realistic, everything from the raw drivers they sold to their receivers to heir calculators.

Back
Top Bottom