What camera(s) do you own?

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by ProAc_Fan, Jun 21, 2004.

1. ProAc_Fan

ProAc_Fan Addicted Member

For me my current camera is a 4.0 MP Canon Powershot G3. It's a couple of years old but perfect for my needs. I'm just waiting for the prices to fall so I can snag a digital SLR from Canon.

Mike

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ckelly

ckelly Super Member

Mine's a 3.2 MP Fuji Finepix S3000

Example Shot:

3. harhau

harhau Member of Al-gebra

Ditto on both. The G3 is great, but I am hanging on to my good Canon EOS optics for that time in the future when Canon will make an affordable digital SLR with a full-format CCD.

- Harald

4. WildWest

WildWest Super Member

I have the G2. Got it just before the G3 came out. Great camera for our use.

5. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

Sony DSC-F505.. for digital.. getting old and thinking about getting something better.

Old School..

Nikon N70

Olympus OM1

X

6. Dave918

Dave918 Super Member

Mine is a 3.1 MP Kodak 3900DX. Its discontinued now, but would not recommend it even if someone found it used at a cheap price.

-Dave

7. Lefty

Lefty Super Member

None at this time

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good inexpensive model or is that a conflicting requirement? Would like it under $200 street price.

Thanks

Lefty

8. ckelly

ckelly Super Member

Try looking around for reputable camera brands (they are pretty much the same brands as the regular cameras, with the addition of Sony maybe). Make sure the camera has OPTICAL zoom instead of digital zoom, and as a rule of thumb more megapixels = better pix.

I think you can get a good quality point + shoot camera for that price range.

Example: Olympus D-540 Zoom $199 at best buy.

You also have to factor in the purchase of memory for the camera, as well as a camera case, tripod etc... but that is all over time.

Chris

9. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

I use the Canon A70 Power shot. It takes a way better picture then i will be able to shoot

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

I like the Canon A300. Was thinking about one for the kids and wife to play with. Street price on them has dropped way below 200 bucks !

11. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Behind The Curtain Staff Member Admin

I use a Canon S40 for digital and Rose uses a Olympus C50. For 35mm I have an old Nikon 6006s and Rose has a Canon Elph2 APS.

12. rek50

rek50 Active Member

That S-3000 looks like a lot of bang for the buck- 6X Optical, SLR format, Regular AA's. So far, 330 for a "Kit"- 128 MB card, xD smart media card, 4 NiMH AA's, Quick-charger, Tripod, Case, MicroFiber Cloth.

13. Billfort

Billfort Addicted Member

I dabble a little in photography but I haven’t really moved beyond ‘amateur’ status so far. I started a few years back with a conventional 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 body, 2 USM zoom lenses and a Speedlite flash which has served me well for vacations and documenting my Lotus restoration but I’m finding I want the convenience of digital.

I’ve been holding out till Canon gets a digital SLR at reasonable bucks without the 1.6 focal length multiplication factor so I can comfortably use my USM lenses but after trying the digital Rebel, maybe I won’t wait. We picked one of these up at work including the 16-55mm zoom lens included in the ‘kit’ and although the lens feels a little cheap, I’m amazed at the picture quality, especially when using the Speedlite flash.

The pictures below where taken with the digital Rebel. For the amp picture I simply put the thing in macro mode and aimed the Speedlite to bounce the flash, I didn’t even use a tri-pod. The Dynaco FM-3 multi-section power supply cap wiring was shot with the flash more direct to see how it would do taking a gynecology type shot which is invaluable to me when messing around with DIY or restoration. Nice stuff, and pics are just a download away as apposed to waiting days after a trip to the photo lab. Pretty cool to be able to mess with camera settings and see the results as quick as a download - doesn’t cost anything to toss the junk either and as a beginner, I snap lots of junk :) .

14. Billfort

Billfort Addicted Member

Cap wiring.

15. Grumpy

My film camera is an Olympus Infinity Zoom 230. I have hated it since the first day my ex bought it. Also have this one but its headed to epay.

16. kby

kby Active Member

Used to have..

a Nikon F3. Never got around to replacing it after it was 'borrowed' from a hotel room in Delaware. I was actually more upset 'bout losing the pictures of the only time I went to Australia/New Zealand (on company $$) than the camera. Still have the lenses except the normal one that was taken with the camera, so waiting for/until I can afford the ideal new Nikon with both film and digital backs (the former is probably lots easier than the latter...).

17. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

I have a few cheapies. My *good* camera I bought in the late 70's sucked from the first day I bought it (Canon AE-1 with a shaky mirror). Currently this is the best one I own as far as making a nice image. Yashica T4 Zoom with a Zeiss lens.

18. Grumpy

Almost bought a Tivoli. I think they do sound a little better then my 21 but only cuz the 21's speaker has seen better days.

19. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

20. zobsky

zobsky fringe lunatic

APS (no longer own)
    Canon Elph

35mm
    pentax K1000 SLR(50 mm Pentax prime, 30 mm SEARS prime)
    nikon FE SLR(35 mm Nikon prime, 50 mm Nikon prime, 35-200 mm Starr-D zoom)

Digital
    1.3 MP canon A? (can't remember)
    4MP Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (12x Lieca lens)

The pentax is built like a brick but I still love the Nikon FE with the 35mm or 50 mm Nikon glass the best, followed by the Panasonic (for instant gratification)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004