What can pair with sansui Qs 500?

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Casperov1978, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Casperov1978

Casperov1978 New Member

i just got a 1983 jvc turntable and my dad has a sansui qs 500 rear receiver. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole and want the quadrophonic sound experience. Can any stereo amplifier work with the rear receiver? Do I need sansui 5000a or better? They are hard to find in good shape and expensive. I'm a novice at vintage audio.

2. 1tumbleweed

1tumbleweed Kozmik Kowboy Subscriber

These were designed to work off the tape outputs of a stereo receiver, so most any old unit will work if it has tape outputs. sKiZo knows all about these, I'm sure he'll be along to 'splain it.

In the meantime:
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sansui_qs_500qs_50.html

Cheers,
    Larry B.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Casperov1978

Casperov1978 New Member

Ah! So it needs another unit to do its thing. It's a pretty big unit, do you think it's going to make a big difference in listening experience? Thanks for the reply by the way. First time here.

In the meantime:
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sansui_qs_500qs_50.html

Cheers,
    Larry B.[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

4. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Many Sansui receivers of the era had dedicated connection points for these rear channel quad units. This is the back panel of a Sansui 6 receiver. The quad adapter jacks are in the upper right.

sansui_six.jpg

I've added your serial number to the database.

- Pete

5. billyz

billyz Active Member

I use a splitter from my preamp to the main power amp and the other to the sansui qs500 for the rear.
    I like this better as there is very little signal degradation to the main(front) speakers(cornwalls). The rear dynaco a10's are powered with the sansui.
    I also have the option to run just the dynaco with no processing and alone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017