What Can You Tell Me About The 96,97 Saturn SL2

Stanton681EEES

Addicted Member
I'm looking for a good second hand car. I had a 94 Saturn that was a great car gave me 7 years of good service till it died. found two different Saturn's locally one is a 97 and the other is a 96. What should I look out for as to problems with either of these if I should purchase one of them. My budget is between 1500 and 2000 dollars.
I know these are older cars but I need something decent to get me around town and to work.

Thanks............

Based on your location, I'd say watch out for rust. Other than that, I'd look for service records too, but, at that price point I don't think you'll find much.

I remember going to the L.A. Auto Show when Saturn first came out. I was kind of excited to see what GM engineers could come up with starting with a clean sheet of paper. I was sorely disappointed. The car at the show had its hood open, and right smack dab in the middle staring back at me was a big ol' dent in the header. I knew right then I'd never be buying one, new or used.

Good luck in your search.

RUST.
Check the whole under side carefully. The engine cradle/front subframe has a habit of rusting out by the transmission mount and around where the lower control arms mount. The door sills/rocker panels especially behind the plastic cladding are another bad area. Also check the brake lines , too. Some Saturns had issues with smoking and oil consumption. Also check for worn out front suspension components and also worn engine and transmission mounts. The flex pipe between the exhaust manifold and cat are usually on their last legs, too.

Look for swelling of the radiator just under the top return hose of the radiator.

Also check for smoke out the exhaust. This is usually stuck rings, but can easily be fixed with an MMO piston soak (google).

It's good that it's at least a SL2 (twin cam).

I had a SL2 five speed wagon that survived both my teenage kids, I eventually sold that car with 274,000 miles on Craig's within the first day it was posted.

Good little cars if your looking for a work car.

I still see a lot of late 90's Accords and Camry's. I think I'd stay away from Saturns.

Back
Top Bottom