What caps to use?

rstsgsas

2much gear 2little time
I am going to do a recapping of the Yamaha T-1 tuner and maybe my CT-1010 too.What type of caps should I use.I usually use Panasonic type FC for power supplies.What about the radial bi-polars,ceramic disc,and film types.For each type is there an upgrade that would be noticable in sound?What would be good replacements?Help me out guys?

The main capacitors to replace would be the electrolytics. The others could be spot checked. Another area to check would be resistors. Over time they become noisy. Replace RF carrying resistors with the originals specified. Skin effect you know.
Ron

What about the ceramic disk

Seems in my reading some believe they need replaced with metal polyester film or something like that.Thoughts?

Leave the ceramics and film caps alone...the gains will be minimal, and alignment will be a PITA. Replace the electrolytics with FC's.

Bipolar caps will be a PITA. FC's are polarized, so their out. The Panasonic SU non-polars are 'OK', but perhaps siome Nichicon's or BlackGate caps from Michael Percy might be a better choice for NP caps.

On a similar subject, I've noticed that on my sx-780 some 'lytics are blaze orange. Are the orange ones special audio caps and should I replace them with some specific kind other than the venerable Pan Fcs?

TIA

The orange caps are low noise electrolytics used in the audio section. Double check the scat, Usually change them out with blackgates. I've used the Panasonic SU's and there is a sound improvement. Not quite as good as Blackgates, but a good improvement for the money. You want to check to see if there are any tantalum's in the audio path and replace them also. Pioneers like to use them around the low pass filter.

You will get the best improvements by replacing the Electrolytics in the power supply and upping the value of the mains, double or even triple the value.

X

Back
Top Bottom