1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

What cartridge are you currently using on main deck

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grenadeslio, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ilikevinyl

Ilikevinyl Cool Breeze Subscriber

The TD-160 is one of the great classic turntables! I would also suggest that you have a genuine Thorens brand platter belt! It has the Thorens logo printed on the belt. Here is a great website for tweaking a Thorens turntable. Very valuable information about Thorens turntables!

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm

GearHead454 and david1111 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ilikevinyl

No, that's the correct way, with the nuts on top. The nuts can damage the cartridge body, so it's best to have them on top of the headshell. Also gives much better clearance with the screw head on the bottom.

When using a Technics headshell, the nuts on top fit perfectly in the slots so they don't turn, much easier to mount.

3. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agreed, I posted a picture of MY cartridge to illustrate to @plastico the correct orientation per the Audio-Technica instructions :)

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  4. plastico

plastico Active Member

So, after reading this I went and looked at my instructions that came with the ART9 cart. Sho enuff, there it is with the cart upside down and the head of the screws going through the bottom. But I take it these mounting instructions are for detachable headshells. Cause how in the world can you adjust any cart with the nuts on top of an arm with a non detachable headshell?

5. tubeactive

tubeactive AK Subscriber Subscriber

Using instructions as a guide, you choose which application works for you. Think methodically and anything you imagine can happen. I can think of some fixed headshell applications which could use the nuts up top, if the arm allowed that...

My reference decks have vintage moving coil carts, like an Ortofon SPU GT on a long SME on one deck and a FR-7 (Fidelity Research) on a FR-64S arm. A sweeter sound than the very neutral FR-7 can be had with a GAS Sleeping Beauty, but there is nothing as sweet sounding as the original SPU-GT or GTE.

6. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

I
    I've got the same arm as you, the nuts that came with my cartridge are round and slotted, which allows them to be tightened when on top. I thought it would be harder to mount and align this cartridge than ones with the scew heads on top, but it really isn't. First time is the hardest, easier once you get past the initial time.

7. david1111

david1111 Active Member

@Ilikevinyl
    Wow, great Thorens website. That's gonna be helpful.
    And I did manage to get a genuine Thorens belt with the name printed on it. I got the belt, and an original platter mat from a US site that also specializes in Thorens TTs. They have motors and stuff as well.
    I mentioned earlier that I have an SME Series 2 tonearm that I will be refurbishing, and I think I'll look for a TT only, to mount it on. I guess a Thorens 150 or 160. I've read that the tonearm on the 150 was a bit of a weak point, so there must be some kicking around without the arm.

Dave

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  8. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I keep going back to the '84 Grado Signature 8MR that Marc Morin provided me a few years ago. Even amongst other Grados, that one is pretty special.

9. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

yep..............even more special when it says 10MR...........;)

10. Ilikevinyl

The TD-150 has a tonearm mounting board that you can swap out tonearms. I would look for that Thorens model. Also, look for a Kenwood KD-500 for your SME tonearm.

I don't like the original Thorens TD-160 platter mat. I've tried all kinds of DIY platter mats! Using a DIY leather suede mat, with foam rubber underneath. This combo has the best sound. The Thorens mat has more surface noise compared to all of the other platter mats I've used. That's an easy upgrade tweak, try a different platter mat!

david1111 likes this.
  11. SpinninAgain

SpinninAgain AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would have to agree. I have both the Blue and the Red running side by side on two Pl-630's. Played a song with the Red. A little scratchy. Played it on the Blue. Dead quiet. You do get what you pay for...Sometimes. But where do you draw the line?

david1111 and judsonw like this.

12. david1111

david1111 Active Member

@Ilikevinyl
    Ok, I'll research the Kenwood KD-500. Nice to have another choice.
    And interesting about the stock mat. I'll have to try a homemade one and see if it improves the sound. I've got those materials.
    Great suggestions.

Dave

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  13. Ilikevinyl

Yes, try a leather mat. Sounds natural, warm and rich sounding. You'll have to report back, will be interested in what your findings will be.

david1111 likes this.
  14. david1111

david1111 Active Member

Okay, will do.

Dave

15. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I drew it at the blue.... I just can't bring myself to come up with more cash for something which wears out. Even then, I usually use other carts now, and save the blue for when I want everything to sound the best.

Still some day I'm going to need an MC. I repaired a table with an ortofon quartet on it, and man it sounded great!

david1111 likes this.
  16. Andrew Heck

Andrew Heck AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just burning in my first foray into MC carts, the DL-103 replaces my Grado Black with the 8MZ on my Kenwood KP-990. 39957E41-AC19-47B2-98D7-A1E50712C246.jpeg

david1111 and elcoholic like this.